2020-21 UEFA Nations League

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by NaBUru38, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Both semifinal matches were excellent. And while the "Nations League" is still in its infancy and obviously won't bring the prestige and glory of winning the Euros, overtime when it comes to deciding which side is currently looking like the best, a league format will end up being more probative than a tournament.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Spain and France is going to be a classic beautiful game.

3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    See French and Belgians gathered together to watch the game.
    Hardly anyone would do that for a friendly match, right?
    Underlining what I said previously about the importance of the game.

Nani_17 repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, other confederations that don't have a NL yet really need to get on it. No new idea is going to have glory and prestige when its first implemented. But UEFA teams are taking it more and more seriously. If not for injuries, these semifinals were basically the same teams that competed in the Euros earlier this year. Fans were really in to it as well.

Certainly better than the friendlies that these games replaced. Heck, better than any WC qualifier too.

Iranian Monitor and Nani_17 repped this.
  5. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Belgium's entire team including managment, wanted to win that match. Italy's entire team including managment, wanted to win that match, and keep their unbeaten streak going. If you see the intensity they played with plus the fact they are starting basically their main lineup, it's pretty obvious. However, just like a child, some people will downplay it as a coping mechanism. Even if before the semis begin, someone says it's just a glorified friendly, they are bracing themselves for disappointment. It isn't a Euro or a WC, that's obviously true. It's also true that the teams tried their hardest to win and they would still love that trophy.

Kamtedrejt and BocaFan repped this.
  6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yes I agree ... two of the best games in ages for whatever reasons

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  7. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #157 calabrese8, Oct 8, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    well no team goes to play any game even a friendly to lose... so obviously we play to win. However, we're not leaving Chiellini on the bench to start and give Bastoni some minutes against Spain if this tournament meant anything to us. Mancini said it himself.. these are good opportunities against good teams to give some young players more opportunities ahead of the more important world cup qualifiers coming next month. i know you don't know what a star looks like on your jersey.. but were looking to adding a 5th one.

Also, are Milan fans booing Donnarumma all 90 minutes if this was a World cup semifinal match.. not a chance in hell. We learned our lesson from Italia 90 playing against Maradona at the San Paolo not having the full crowd support at home in important games.

8. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    My point is clear. You say it's a glorified friendly and I'm telling you there is easily enough evidence to suggest it's taken rather seriously, just not the same level as a Euro or WC.

Not sure what that has to do with Portugal, but their consistency only began 20 to 23 years ago(depending on how you look at it) So a WC is always possible if you can find yourself in the mix consistently. What's not possible is for you to ever see your name on a high school diploma.

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What a load BS coming from Mancini! 9 of the 11 starters against Spain on Wednesday also started the Euro final. And Immobile is unavailable, injured. Replaced by Bernardeshi. Not exactly some young starlet they were trying out.

Nani_17 and Cosmin10 repped this.
  10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    My original predictions turned so far to be half right. So I take my second chance.

I think Italy will beat Belgium.

Spain-France will head into extra time.
    I give it to France eventually.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sounds like he’s a bad loser like Wilder

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems to be two schools of though here, one saying the Nations League is on par with the Euros and or World Cup while others are claiming it as a bunch of useless friendlies. I think the truth is somewhere in between. Obviously it doesn't have the history nor prestige of the other two tournies, but I think it's definitely a bit more than just glorified friendlies. It's a legit chance to win some silverware and medals and I think grow in popularity within time. I get it that fans would prefer the other two, but if given the choice between winning this and nothing doubt too many fans would refuse the former. Anyhoo, I'm really looking forward to these matches tonight. Was thinking to head down to see James Rodriguez's debut with al Rayyan tonight, but will pass to watch this.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What I am interested in knowing is how the fans will celebrate if they win.

I am thinking if Spain wins fans would go out into some town squares and party it up a bit.

France not so much. I heard that even when they hosted the Euros many fans were like meh, whatever.

14. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Unlike the semifinal games, which were superb, the final so far has been boring, with France and Spain scoreless at HT.

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Congrats to France.
    All in all it is deserved.
    They won 7 out of their 8 matches in the Nations League, drawing only to Portugal.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Mbappe's goal looked offside to me and I was surprised it wasn't called back.

17. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    It's because Garcia intentionally played the ball. If he doesn't go for it, then it would be offside. Seems like a spotty rule but the refs made the right call if that is the rule.

18. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Their nations league win was more
    Impressive than Italys euro win. I think the nations league is a better indicator .

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Sounds like a stupid rule to me, especially in this context where Garcia seemed to be trying to block the pass, not play the ball. If the rule is going to be applied this way, I am afraid its going to throw a monkey wrench into one of the few things which VAR could otherwise firmly establish. And that can have all sorts of negative consequences more significant than who wins this particular match.

20. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well the handball rule was reevaluated (for good or bad, up to interpretation). Maybe this can have FIFA look at this part of the rule again.

21. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    #171 marush, Oct 11, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    I think that importance always has something to do with media coverage. At a world championship or a European championship, the newspapers are full for weeks before the tournament and during the tournament. The television reports weeks, months, yeard before and during the tournaments. It was only through luck that I found out that the KO phase took place in the Nations League.

On the other hand. Italy Spain have a little rivalry. Which country has the better league. Which country has the better national Team.

Italy defeated Spain in major tournaments.
    And Spain defeated Italy in major tournaments.

France played only against neighbors. France has a border to Belgium and Spain.
    There is a rivalry. Not a big rivalry like Scotland England oder Brazil Argentina or even very violent rivalries. But against neighbors there is always a rivalry.

No it is not on par with the Euro or Worldcup.

I think I can remember that the Nations League was created to reduce the friendlies. That also has something to do with appointments.
    The players get money from their clubs. These are their employers. They wanted to reduce the fact that the players have to go to friendly games at impossible dates. Risk of injury, exposure.

BocaFan repped this.
  22. mojo54

mojo54 Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    As an emerging tournament the Nations League has had two very reasonable "Final 4s". This time around all four teams clearly belong to the elite of world football and all four games (surprisingly including the perennial dead rubber 3-4 game) delivered good quality. Given the qualification format that is quite likely to continue going forward. That is very different from the ridiculously unbalanced FIFA Confederations Cup (may it RIP forever). Net net the Nations League finals has a lot going for it and just needs to be further separated from the Euros (3 months is ridiculous).

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Indeed not. I like the Nations League, but when I was watching the final my wife walked in and asked 'what tournament is this?' followed by 'Does it at least impact who plays in the World Cup?'

Try to answer those questions without making the NL sound redundant and meaningless. Its not easy.

24. mojo54

mojo54 Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    It will continue to be challenging until the tournament gets more established and forms its own reputation. Having said that, as the World Cup and Euro continue to get diluted in terms of quality (WC has grown from 16 to 24 to 32 to 48, Euros also expanding 16 to 24 to 32), the top 16 of the NL followed by the "final 4 format" will stand out in terms of that regard. I attended the last 3 WCs (10/14/18) and the last three Euros (12/16/21) in person and this recent NL has on average surpassed them.

glennaldo_sf repped this.
  25. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Nations league is better.
    I support a team who recently won the euros and the nations league. Nations league is better. Trust me.