2020-21 UEFA Nations League

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by NaBUru38, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hungary is in Div A ✋

2. voiceoflg

voiceoflg Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    So how does this work with the World Cup qualifying? In what order do they choose the group winners?

3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    League A, League B, C, etc. in descending order. Within each league group winners will be ranked on overall record. If a group winner has already qualified, they will go down to the next team that hasn’t qualified or already reached the playoffs through the qualifying group stage.

Kamtedrejt and BocaFan repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Hmm... So with 14 points, Slovenia is considered #1 in League C? That draw they got yesterday against Greece could be crucial.

Kamtedrejt and Every Four Years repped this.
  5. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Yes, although I would not be surprised to see both playoff spots go to the League B group winners, especially considering that two of them (Hungary and the Czech Republic) will be in Pot 3 for the WCQ draw.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    According to some reports Romania have taken over that last spot in pot 2 thanks to the 3-0 forfait victory against Norway. Two months ago Russia was sitting comfortably in pot 2. They absolutely shit the bed in October and November. They couldn't beat even bloody Moldova in a friendly.

Every Four Years repped this.
  7. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Yes, I believe I saw someone’s post in another thread saying the same thing. If Romania-Norway had been rescheduled on the other hand, I believe Russia would still have been in Pot 2.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know people love to slam the UEFA Nations League; however, I've really enjoyed watching both tournaments. However, I really wish they'd play this thing out during the international break in March or April... I think having the final played out in October, after the Euros really devalues the tournament in my opinion....

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Agreed, I actually really like Nations League as a concept.

I wasn't a big fan of continuing it during an already crowded calendar and the 2nd wave of the pandemic. I think this edition should have been canceled, even as someone whose country won promotion.

11. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I don't know, Northern Italy in early Autumn with 2 iconic cities and stadia 45 minutes apart, with Belgium v France and Spain v Italy in the semis, what's not to like? And hopefully we'll all be vaccined by then too...

12. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    italians won’t care lol. Only reason we wanted to host is so we can showcase and hopefully get another World Cup bid in the near future. We won’t lose sleep if we don’t win it all at home

13. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Shouldn't be any problem getting tickets then. :)

Every Four Years repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I am guessing that this will be the only time when there is a huge gap b/w the group stage and final 4 tournament. But yeah, I agree its bad for momentum. Not to mention the final tournament will be played in parallel with key WC qualifying games that same week so it wont really stand out.

15. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    They should find a way to reformat the Euros and Nations League into one competition. It's redundant to have both. The Euros has become bloated with 24 teams and the Nations League feels hollow and ahistorical.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The Euros format isn't really changeable, apart from tweaking it by adding to the # of teams involved. So not sure how it would be feasible to combine.

Combining NL and WC/Euro qualifying seems doable though.

17. gtroma27

gtroma27 New Member

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2021
    Had anyone heard anything about tickets for semi-finals, can’t find anything on it.

18. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Nope. I was booked up to go but my flights were cancelled, and now stuff has come up and I can't go anyway. I doubt tickets will be a problem, they're probably delaying it as long as possible to avoid all the stuff they had to go through with the Euros.

19. gtroma27

gtroma27 New Member

Roma
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2021
    Sounds about right, thanks.

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    As far as who wins 2020/21 UEFA Nations League, my pick to win it all: France

21. Austin Lars

Austin Lars New Member

Leeds
    France
    Jul 29, 2021
    I really do agree on that. Italy has lots of good talents coming up. I love how they play soccer. Flexible, dynamic game, fast and attractive to watch.

22. The Zeta Variant

The Zeta Variant Red Card

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Aug 7, 2021
    Nations league will suddenly be deemed prestigious once Italy or france wins it .

23. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Any news when tickets can go on sale for the Finals in Italy this year?

24. mojo54

mojo54 Member

May 18, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nada as far as I can tell on all ticket info fronts.

It appears that they are going to wait for as long as they can in the hope of getting permission for a larger ticket allocation in Turin/Milan. My understanding is that (as opposed to the English Premier League which allows 100% full stadiums) Italy Serie A is currently significantly more conservative.

25. Mohab Elboshy

Mohab Elboshy New Member

Al-Ahli
    Egypt
    Aug 21, 2021
    Egypt