2020/21 Sporting CP Preseason

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by ScpBoy77, Aug 28, 2020.

1. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    No joke, we can easily have 5 goals in this game lol. We have been very unfortunate with bad finishing and the 2 strikes off the bar.

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nuno Santos is way better as a left wing back than Antunes. I always thought that was the spot he would play. His left foot is class and in this system he gets forward easily on the left.

Nuno Santos and Nuno Mendes should be the Left wing backs for us.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  3. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    I agree! Nuno Santos crosses the ball in the box well. Something we've lacked in previous years. I wish there would be a way to start them both.

4. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Penalty for us now. What a play between Nuno Santos (i think) and Jovane and Jovane was brought down.

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    goal! 2-1 Jovane with the pen

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Palhinha looking real good in midfield IMO.

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    That goal was legit!! Jovane was onside and it should have been 3-1

8. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Well deserved win. We were clearly the better team today. Nuno Santos is my man of the match. I've been impressed with him and Pote so far.

I want to praise Varandas for his new recruits, but i do feel it's early for that. Let's hope their excellent play thus far translates into real season.

9. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what I want to hear.

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    More in depth review later. But some brief notes.

Keep Palhinha. We don't have a midfielder with his characteristics and any sale in this window means 15% for Braga (who made this horrible loan deal?)

Nuno santos clearly a left midfielder/wing back.

Still need a striker. And a winger (or Joelson, who still hasnt signed a new contract)

natenate101 repped this.
  11. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Palhinha looked good, but he was only on for roughly 20 minutes. He needs to be played a few more times with him in the starting 11 before we make a decision whether to keep him or not.

12. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Here's what I thought after today:

GK: Adan didn't do a lot again but looked comfortable and confident coming to collect crosses and good with his feet, couldn't do anything about the penalty, but honestly it's looking like he'll get the starting spot (which is a good thing for us and Max, who can still develop)

Defense: Porro was better today, the first half was decent but in the 2nd he really showed up especially offensively, lets hope he continues to show quality. Feddal had a clear penalty (2nd one this pre-season, although the first one was not a PK) but he redeemed himself with a goal to tie the game. He's really comfortable on the ball, although sometimes his tackles are risky, but generally he's been alright. Coates had a good game and has had a good pre-season, lets hope it continues and he stays consistent. Neto to me is just not good enough, it seems like the spot is a toss-up between him and Quaresma. Antunes actually had a decent game and hustled, but he just can't do what Nuno Mendes or even Nuno Santos did in the LWB spot and probably will be a bench player for us.

Midfield: Matheus Nunes showed good qualities again, my only concern is he just takes too long to make a pass and doesn't really make the team progress forward, when Palhinha came on the team he seemed to carry the team forward, Palhinha has become a beast physically and even went forward and tried to score. Frankly if we don't get any bids he might be a huge "signing" for us and fits perfectly alongside Wendel, who had a fantastic cross for the first goal and looked more lively.

Attack: Jovane scored a penalty and looked lively again particularly in the 2nd half, continuing his good form from last season. Nuno Santos started as LW but he doesn't have a right foot and it showed when he would cut inside and try to shoot. His left foot though.... when he moved to LWB in the 2nd half he was fantastic, putting in quality crosses and even a dangerous shot off the bar. For me it's Nuno Mendes/Nuno Santos for LWB. Vietto came on and showed glimpses of quality too, and he could play that RW or "false winger" role really well, supporting the main striker in the middle and combining with the overlapping Porro. Tiago Tomas continues to impress and has a place in the squad, but we shouldn't be pressuring him with a starting role just yet.

In short, we had a good performance and look much more solid defensively than last year, but we lacked a lot of quality in attack. Wendel was the only creative outlet; with Pote and Vietto playing and a top notch striker the attack should improve, becoming more unpredictable and dangerous.

nelly29, SCP21 and natenate101 repped this.
  13. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoyed watching this.

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    The preseason vids have been great

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Didn't realize, but we played another match today vs. Maritimo. We tied 1-1, Pote scored for us.

17. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Was this game televised? Yesterday i was searching to see when we'd play next and didnt see anything about today's game

18. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ScpBoy77 repped this.
  19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Poor defending on that tying goal.

Some nice creativity shown by some of the players, but again lacking that finishing touch.

20. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who’s #68 in the highlight clip?

21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I believe it's Daniel Bragança

22. natenate101

natenate101 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 16, 2006
    California, US
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks skillful.

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Yeah he's been loaned out consecutively but he's 21 now and deserves a chance in the squad.

24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Official: Leonardo Ruiz joins Logrones in La Liga 2nd division. How many more loans until this guys contract ends?

25. nelly29

nelly29 Member

Sporting CP
    Portugal
    Jun 20, 2017
    Sounds like Palhinha will stay with the team this transfer window....Best part of this news is we keep a decent player on the squad (we need as many as we can get) and Braga won't get 15% of the transfer amount

fdasilva and natenate101 repped this.