2020/21 Sporting CP Preseason

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by ScpBoy77, Aug 28, 2020.

1. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Didn't see any Preseason threads for this season, so i decided to create one.

Sporting beat Portimonese 2-1 today.

I missed the game, but would love to hear how our new recruits played today.

natenate101 repped this.
  2. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    If anyone is interested, Sport TV2 is replaying today's game right now. Currently at the 38th minute. Just for those who missed it. I just tuned in.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I watched most of the game live, here are my thoughts. And keep in mind its pre-season and could mean nothing.

The first 65 minutes was poor, very poor. Four of the new players started and here's what I thought:

Feddal: I think he's actually a decent player, although he had some rough tackles that in an official game could have cost him. He committed a penalty but it wasn't his fault, it was a poor penalty to give. If he's gonna be compared to Mathieu it's gonna be tough, so I'd try to avoid comparing anyone to Mathieu.

Pedro Porro: Started off with some interesting runs forward, going up to the by line and whipping some crosses in, but his defending was awful and he seems out of fitness. Hopefully he improves a lot because the other Right Backs we have are truly awful

Nuno Santos: Decent game, he showed some confidence going forward but not the best passing/crossing shown, I still think he's not a winger though.

Antunes: Probably the new signing everyone is least optimistic about, and he confirmed it... to ask him to run up and down the whole left flank for 90 minutes at 33 years old... Nuno Mendes should easily win the starting spot.

Rest of the team in the first half: We urgently urgently urgently need a quality striker. Sporar scored the penalty but he is just not good enough. I rate Tiago Tomas more and would actually start him right now.

Wendel was awful today, and he continues the trend of being talented but inconsistent. I think we desperately need a midfielder that is positional, can provide defensive cover (Matheus Nunes is good but we need someone like William, who can also quickly pass forward rather than just sideways passing). Rodrigo Fernandes started in midfield but he probably needs a loan or B team.

Is Plata actually de-evolving with us? I think the kid needs a loan to another Liga side to grow. Too individual, tries to do everything himself, doesn't track back. Not much else to say about the rest, we already know the qualities of Coates, Neto, etc.

---

In the 2nd half we subbed on 10 new players and the team instantly played better - when the academy players outshine most of the new players it's cause for alarm:

Adan came on but didn't really have anything to do, except for the penalty which he failed to save. But not much to judge him on.

Pote: Class. Came on and after a couple of minutes put in a beautiful through ball for Tiago Tomas to score. You can tell by his dribbling and passing he will be an important player for us this season. Probably the first good player signed under Varandas, although the deal for me is excessive. He played as a left winger, but his positioning was more central. Might be good in order to support the striker and allow for Nuno Mendes to support out wide.

Tiago Tomas scored the winner for us and deserves more chances.

Gonçalo Inacio came in for central defense and put in a beautiful ball over the top for the 2nd goal. Definitely deserves another shot in pre-season and could be another good prospect. Need to see how his defending is, which is most important.

Daniel Bragança showed a lot of class as well, really hope this time he stays in the squad.

Nuno Mendes is 18 and arguably our best player... the kid is a stud, he's clearly the starter on the left and I just hope he stays for the whole season before he gets sold to some big club.

The rest we know about. Jovane is a starter, Ristovski is still poor, Borja is a decent backup option.

4. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    #4 ScpBoy77, Aug 28, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    I just watched about 55 minutes of the game and Nuno Mendes was an absolute beast. He will give the top teams problems at the left flank. The left side is unanimously his and i can only see Antunes start when our starters need a rest.

One of this teams biggest issues is giving up the ball easily. So many unforced errors. Even when Portimonese wasn't pressuring us, we would just cough up the ball due to a poor pass. It's been a issue that happens almost every game. Top teams will capitalize on these poor decisions and kill us.

natenate101 repped this.
  5. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Really hope Braganca stays on the squad, always liked the kid

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Another friendly being televised live, we face Belenenses SAD

STARTING XI

Adan
    Eduardo Quaresma, Inácio, Borja;
    Ristovski, Daniel Bragança, Matheus Nunes, Nuno Mendes;
    Jovane, Pedro Gonçalves, Tiago Tomás.

7. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    I'm intrigued to see how Bragança plays today. I hope he does well

fdasilva repped this.
  8. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    That was a great build up play. Pedro Gonçalves with the goal assisted by Tiago Tomás

fdasilva repped this.
  9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Pote scores 1-0 to us. A lot of turnovers from Belenenses and this time we capitalize. Pote taps it in after Tiago Tomás shot was rebounded

This team in 10 minutes has shown way more than the team that started the last game.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  10. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    I don't want to jump the gun too much, but i agree. So far they have made better decisions and are more dangerous overall going forward.

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    2-0 Tiago Tomas. What a ball from Nuno Mendes to Jovane, who put it in for a tap in for Tiago

Belenenses has a great chance just before but a great reflex save from Adan

12. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Personally, i think Tiago Tomás should start over Sporar as well.

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    On forum scp they're saying he's awful... he has two goals and an assist in 60 minutes (including last game)

Just wanna also give a shout out to Adan, first real chance to shine earlier and he made a great save.

14. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    I stopped going on Forum SCP years ago. Just a bunch of bull s*** over there from negative BDC lovers.

SCP_16 and SCP21 repped this.
  15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Gonçalo Inacio has been a nice surprise! He's been putting some quality long balls that have caused a lot of danger.

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Decent first half. I really like the mobility up front. Pote is playing as sort of a false winger, playing more centrally and supporting Tiago Tomas. Jovane also doing his thing on the right.

Nuno Mendes continues to be a stud and clearly has the spot. Ristovski tries but for me is just mediocre. Bragança has shown quality again, although he definitely needs to play with another midfielder that has more strength to hold the midfield. Matheus Nunes has good qualities but his passing and timing has been poor.

In defense. Adan showed up when asked, Inacio has been a good surprise, with quality long passes over the top. Borja is just OK, again probably a good bench option at best. Quaresma pretty solid.

natenate101 repped this.
  17. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We desperately need a striker. Tiago Tomas is solid, but he can't be starting. I actually prefer Luiz Phellype over Sporar

18. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Lol Ristovski gets forward but then every shot goes out of the stadium

19. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    He stinks. Should have just put that ball in the middle. No chance he was scoring from that angle

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    10 players coming on. Looks like the same team that started the last game. Hopefully they show a little more this time

21. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Sporar scores!! 3-0

Great long ball and Sporar at least showed class to finish that one on one chance.

natenate101 repped this.
  22. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Sporar can't miss an opportunity like that and he doesn't. Good finish from him 3-0 SCP

23. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nice play from Nuno Santos, back heel to Wendel who put a dangerous pass in to the box.

natenate101 and ScpBoy77 repped this.
  24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Good play from Porro too. And he actually put the shot on target unlike Ristovski.

ScpBoy77 repped this.
  25. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Was literally going to say that, fdasilva lol. Nuno Santos playing well in his short time on