2020-21 NFHS rule changes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Feb 14, 2020.

1. GearRef

GearRef Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Jan 2, 2018
    La Grange Park, Illinois
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are the requirements for an 8th grader?

2. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    certainly not in the northeast.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    That's because kids mature later in the cold and dark.

roby, Rufusabc and DefRef repped this.
  4. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Interesting. I have never heard of that option in PIAA (Pennsylvania). Apparently, it exists, but I have never come across it.

5. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever is in the 9th grade Presidential Physical Fitness test, but they have to pass at the 9th grade level to play "high school" (JV or V). NY does have junior high sports as well.

6. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    And in my area, they add...."we will pay you $100". I got over it pretty quick. Dual system sucks, but I remember why I am out here - doing something I enjoy, make a few bucks, sweat as much as possible, and help keep the kids playing.

In our area, it is the economics of schools can't afford 3 refs, and reality of, there simply are not 3 refs available on Tuesday at 4:00 for every game scheduled.

jayhonk and IASocFan repped this.
  7. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    I know it is 'only' JV, but in a game of import, I might have considered stopping the clock in both of your situations. 1st half - checking on injured player 2nd half - to "warn" defense for delaying game.

May not be totally kosher, but allowable and lessens the impact of gamesmanship on the actual game. IMHO of course.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  8. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think it's tough to lump all JV together. I'd consider the soccer my daughter played JUNIOR varsity, while I'd call the hoops my son played junior VARSITY. Her soccer team, at a small girl's school, had players from all four years--my daughter only played as a senior, and started after not having kicked a soccer ball since AYSO in 8th grade. His basketball team, on the other hand, played in an extremely competitive JV league where most of the teams could have competed reasonably against varsity teams in less competitive leagues. (The league also had a frosh league.)

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I'd also add that at JV levels, there's more variety in how "cooked" the kids are, especially boys. So you have more variety within and between teams' physicality, skill, "field generalship*," etc. as compared to Varsity.

*"Ring Generalship" is/was a phrase from amateur boxing scoring criteria that I've always loved.

10. sheilman94

sheilman94 Member

Pittsburgh Spirit
    United States
    Jul 12, 2019
    If there is no injury time, then yes. Sorry, time's up.
    Although I might not be staring at my clock at that moment, if I know we're at 45, then yes.

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In USSF games, I have always added a few seconds to several minutes of added time. I have never had a game, where we didn't have to wait for someone to chase a ball way into touch, or have a team slow to sub or restart, or deal with an injury or misconduct issue. I look at my watch when there is not an imminent scoring opportunity. I have called time as a team is preparing for a corner kick or a throw-in - particularly when they are slow at restarting. I always wait for them to chase the ball so I don't have to.

socal lurker repped this.
  12. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I now declare any discussions about why HS has variations on the universal rules of our game null and void.

From this month’s Referee Magazine:

Baseball: with the bases loaded and two outs, B4 hits a home run over the fence. As R1 is watching the ball, B4 passes him between first and second base before R3 touches the plate. Ruling: B4 is out for passing R1, but in HS the 3 runners are allowed to score but in college and pros it’s the third out and NO runners score.

That’s it. No more complaining about throw-ins.

roby, Law5, IASocFan and 1 other person repped this.
  13. SCV-Ref

SCV-Ref Member

Spurs
    Australia
    Feb 22, 2018
    Ha...very good indeed.
    Thankfully it only enforces my point about NFHS.

14. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Since we are switching sports a lot in this thread, a memory came back to me - when Ken Dryden was a hockey goalie at Cornell, he would sometimes rest his rump on the crossbar of the goal and lean his upper body on his stick as if he were bored, especially during faceoffs at the other end of the ice.

15. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States