2020-21 NFHS rule changes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Kit, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Barciur

Barciur Member+

Apr 25, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Yes. I started getting into officiating lacrosse, but time constraints stopped me this year. Might do it next year. But girls and boys is a different sports for all intents and purposes - the NFHS has a different test, different rule books for boys and girls. The girls game does not allow contact whereas the boys game allows checking etc. There are also differences in high school and college game in some things that I think are pretty important - like you cannot be in the crease before the ball goes in but you can in college etc.

And yes, the field size is different for boys and girls. Which makes total sense, especially on when played on a multi-sport use school field. :whistling:

2. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may have written this elsewhere before, but a few years ago, I was an AR on a DIII college game. As we walked out on the multisport turf field, the CR said, "I think they keep getting new sports at this school just so they can put more colored lines on the turf." The field was marked for gridiron football, soccer, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, and field hockey.

cinepro repped this.
  3. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I always pity GKs on fields like that trying to know which of 4 lines is the PA in the heat of an attacker bearing down . . .

4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Memories.....Two HSBV teams tied for 1st...last match of season....score tied in waning seconds....home team scores....I waved it off for foot in crease....home fans slightly perturbed along with my ref partner :rolleyes:....medical costs avoided when home team scores in ot. :eek:

5. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a varsity girls game this past fall on an old turf field. The turf was like what they put down on a miniature golf course. Anyway, there were lines for soccer and gridiron football. I made a point of telling both teams that we were using the yellow soccer lines, but I thought I was doing that more for the visiting team. However, I did end up calling a foul throw on the HOME team when the player took the throw-in from the football lines. It wasn't even their first game of the season!

GearRef and IASocFan repped this.
  6. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    My daughter played lacrosse through high school and college. She would have loved to wear a helmet and whack people.

Boys can't whack people in the head, but can pretty much whack them anywhere else. The son broke a collar bone and a rib playing lax, not at the same time.

One memory was driving home after he broke the rib. Indoor lax over the winter. He was cross checked. I said that had to hurt. After the game, I asked him how he was, he said a little sore. We started the 20 minute ride home, and I asked him if he wanted to get it checked out. He said 'No.' When we're about home, he said we should get him checked. We live about a mile from a hospital/ER. I took him there, he got X-rayed and told there was nothing that could be done for his broken rib.

But that's not as bad as when he broke his arm taking a goal kick.[emoji79]

As for the eye protection... In one of her first games, maybe 7th grade lacrosse, my daughter got hit across the face. Fortunately, it was nothing serious.

7. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I was working a couple of GHS games Tuesday and in each game (JV and Varsity) one of the crew took time to chastise keepers for kneeling during play. In both cases play had been at the other end of the field for awhile. I asked him about it and he said it was in the rules, that players cannot kneel or sit on the field during play. He threw in something about not being able to tell if a player was injured if they do that, but I thought it was pretty clear that wasn't what was happening in those cases.

In discussion with some refs, one person said it was unsporting behavior, that the keeper was "disrespecting the other team".

Since I haven't memorized the book, it's possible he was correct, but I don't think so. Has anyone heard this? Is this one of those things that everyone knows?

8. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    Haven't heard anything like this. No, definitely NOT in the rules. MSU.

One of my younger daughter's teammates at U-10 was in goal during a game the team was winning easily. He [yes, she played on a team that was otherwise all boys.] was bored, so he laid down on his side in the goal area to watch the game. We (parents) discussed whether he was going to string a hammock between the posts.

9. MJ91

MJ91 Member

United States
    Jan 14, 2019
    #34 MJ91, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    I don't recall explicitly seeing it in the NFHS rules. If a player were to sit or kneel in protest or to delay, that's a different matter. Or, if a keeper were to curl up and pretend to be asleep in their goal in an oscar-winning theatrical manner in a HS game, then yeah that could be a problem.

But, an obviously bored keeper simply taking a knee while watching the action that's been at the other end for the past 10 minutes? I've had it multiple times and it's a non-issue for me. Sometimes they'll play with the nets. Like you said, if it's pretty clear it's not a taunting or attention-getting action, I wouldn't create a problem out of nothing.

Barciur repped this.
  10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    IMO it is (often, depending on context) disrespectful--but not at the level of Law 12 USB. (In an AYSO blow out, I would mention to the coach that it was disrespectful and suggest (not dictate) that the coach have his GK be more respectful; other than that I would not consider it a referee issue.)

IASocFan repped this.
  11. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    My experience of girls lacrosse is that the ref blows the whistle, the girls run for three and occasionally even four seconds, and then the ref blows the whistle again and they stop. Then they do it again. Wearing helmets would probably interfere with hearing the whistles.

12. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rule 14-1-3 clarifies goalkeepers’ positions during a penalty kick. Defending goalkeepers shall stand with at least one foot on or in-line with the goal line and the goalkeeper shall not be touching the goal posts, crossbar or nets

Why does this one sound odd to me. I see keepers all the time reach up to touch the crossbar before a kick. are we trying to say they can't hang from the bar? Do we warn them before the kick is taken? I am just trying to see a scenario when the keeper touching the side/crossbar during a PK is even an issue?

13. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'd say yes. There was one field back in OK where a good jolt would have the uprights rocking back and forth moving the cross bar about a foot. Every game I'd warn the home keeper not to grab onto the crossbar, and every game his pregame routine involved jump, grab, half pull-up, crossbar rocks back and forth.

14. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As @Dayton Ref said I think it’s to prevent all the circus acts that happen before a PK. I think NFHS and Ifab are trying to clamp down on some of the nonsensical stuff we see in the game.

The “trick” corner, the jumping around like an idiot before a PK etc.

Law5 repped this.
  15. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I always read that to mean we don’t want you touching the post so that you don’t move it. Or grab the crossbar and hang and bend it. What you don’t touch you cant alter.

16. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    But if the rule states what the GK can do DURING the PK, how does it stop anything from happening BEFORE the PK?

swoot repped this.
  17. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your interpretation of when the PK procedure starts I guess.

Long story short. Nip that stupid stuff before it happens.

18. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
    The IFAB wording is "The defending goalkeeper must remain on the goal line, facing the kicker, between the goalposts, without touching the goalposts, crossbar, or goal net, until the ball has been kicked." So, IMHO, the practical answer is that the referee does not whistle for the kick to be taken until the goalkeeper meets all of these requirements.

19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    and, if he does pull those stunts after knowing he can’t, then the yellow card you show him means he needs to come out and the back up must face the penalty.

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it would be a good idea for him to listen to you then.

21. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    That's actually what I'm picturing. In which case, and maybe I'm reading something wrong, (s)he can still jump around like a jackass as long as it's before the whistle. So again I ask, how does the rule stop the "circus acts" as PP claimed?

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the “circus acts” were never really legal per se. they are all forms of delaying the restart. Does this change directly impact some of the nonsense? No. But it gives us a jumping off point.

we should have never been allowing keepers to walk out to the kicker, do stupid jumping jacks and acrobatics near the goal. We as referees collectively just set a bad standard by not intervening. So here we sit.

23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    The GK can jump around as much as he wants, so long as he does it without touching the frame/net and keeps one foot on or over the line.

24. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #49 Bubba Atlanta, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Anybody know if the 20-21 changes include free kicks coming out of the PA being in play when kicked as opposed to when they leave the area?

p.s. And I don't suppose we'll ever have to stop explaining that a throw-in that never crosses the line changes possession? I had to explain that one twice last night.

25. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    So when does a PK "start"? I'm not a ref, but I'd assume at the whistle. Am I wrong? If not, then this rule doesn't stop any of jumping around/touching the frame/net BEFORE the whistle blows.