2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    Only way it could be attractive is if they had a solid camp base to work off. Obviously head coach keeps a bit more of camp pay than assistants but it's still a long shot especially in a COVID world where camps are cancelled.

2. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    So there go for a Power 5 2nd assistant. Which in clueless AD terminology means Brian Dunleavy could be high on a list for a job he was 3 months away from being fired from.

Like someone said 'Gotta win that Press Release and make myself look awesome'

PoptartKing and Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  3. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
  4. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do coaches like this really believe what they are saying or just trying to sound good with the press?

5. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    I just read his bio. Very impressive at first glance

6. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    he has a funny accent so that’s probably why he keeps getting these gigs.

7. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Going way back to first page - Wright State was granted by the NCAA a 2 year waiver to go below D1 minimum number of sports. Must be back at 14 or more in 2 years

8. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    You should look up Mark Carr’s U17 and U20 World Cup records, can get out of the group stages with the best players in the country. Another one of Jill Ellis’s groupies that will fall flat on their face in the college game. Just like BJ Snow, Kat Mertz, Mary Frances Monroe...etc....the list could go on and on..

USsoccerguy and ytrs repped this.
  9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Group C[edit]
    Pos Team Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
    1 [​IMG] Germany 3 2 0 1 8 2 +6 6 Knockout stage
    2 [​IMG] North Korea 3 2 0 1 6 5 +1 6
    3 [​IMG] Cameroon 3 1 0 2 2 5 −3 3
    4 [​IMG] United States 3 1 0 2 3 7 −4 3

Finished DEAD last.

At least he is optimistic

"Looking forward, I feel very optimistic. We have a solid core group and I believe with the work we have done this fall and the areas we need to address, I have no doubt you will see a much-improved product when we return." -
    @MCarrSoccer

USsoccerguy repped this.
  10. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Grambling State coach just retired. It was listed on college D-1 and D-2 list serves apparently. Anyone know details?

11. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, that's very similar to what he has said after a rough loss with his new college position.

12. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Sounded like personal reasons. Will be interested to see what happens there
    With who is hired. It’s a well funded swac school and if they get the right hire I could see that program taking a step forward.

13. LeftyMac

LeftyMac Member

Manchester City
    Portugal
    Nov 13, 2020
    Oklahoma must be sweating, they’d hate to lose their all everything coach after one season...

14. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Very legitimate personal reasons. Trying to help get his position filled by reaching out to the d1 and d2 listservs.

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #115 cpthomas, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Nicholls State will have a new head coach, with Alexsis Cable fillilng the spot for the Spring season. (They have been trending towards the bottom of the barrel for the last 7 years, although replaced coach Free only was there for 2019.)

16. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    So as I have it right now

2020/2021 Vacancies (To be filled before or after season)

Georgia Southern
    Nicholls State
    Grambling state

Anything I missed?

17. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    The whole accent thing didn't do the guys at Georgia Southern and Nicholls State any good. Lots and lots of bad coaches in the college game foregin and domestic.

Number007 repped this.
  18. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    I'm hearing FIU potentially now. Will confirm soon

19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    To be fair, too many teams and not enough talent on the playing side as well. Club soccer is all about volume, not quality.

20. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Just saw Weber State (Utah) is posted on the NCAA Marketplace again....

21. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Weber State lists an interim, so not sure if this is a formality to get him the job permanently or not. I believe the old Head Coach is still the AD.

22. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    To be fair, how many coaches under the age of 30 or 35 have been even remotely successful. Especially with NO head coaching experience prior at the college level.

Both of these two guys had NO head coaching experience, got the job as interims and were promoted out of convenience with neither one achieving ANY real success as interims. AND both of them took over for head coaches that were on the hot seat themselves (even if they both left for “other career opportunities”) ...maybe both coaches would have had another year or two, but not more. It’s what happens when admins take a cost-saving, convenient approach in women’s soccer. Would NEVER see these hires made at larger schools (oh wait, except Kentucky) or in more prominent sports.

Certainly at lower levels younger coaches have had success nationally and in conferences, but I’m trying to think of the last coach under 30 to even win their conference and make a NCAA tournament? I’m not talking about in the P5s or making a run deep in the NCAAs I’m talking any conference, reaching the NCAAs. I can name a ton of coaches who have done it in their late 30s, and early 40s and maybe a handful under 35? But under 30? I’m not sure how many under 30/35 division 1 head coaches there are, but I would imagine their success rate isn’t super high. And in the 20s has to be even lower.

23. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just off the top of my head:

Lauren Hanson at San Jose State became their head coach in 2014 at age 33 -- her first DI head coaching job. The next year, she took them to the NCAA Tournament.

Kia McNeill at Brown became their head coach in 2016 at age 30 -- her first DI head coaching job -- and in 2019 took them to the NCAA Tournament.

24. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    That’s the information I’m looking for! Thanks CP!

Kia is an absolute superstar, has been offered bigger and better and chosen to stay. Even better person. I don’t know LH at all.

But does sort of illustrate my point. They were in early 30s when they attained that success and played and had experiences at a much higher level than the chaps referenced above (not that playing experience is everything).

Not that anyone cares what I thinks, but the Georgia Southern hire is a good one.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.