2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I was shocked when I saw this, as I thought this year was a good one for them. But then I read the release, and this tells the clear story:

Lesesne spent seven seasons as head coach of the Bulldog soccer program, compiling a 43-64-18 overall record and 18-41-10 mark against Southeastern Conference opponents. Lesesne was in the final year of his contract.

spykemanne repped this.
  2. Nooneimportant

Leeds United
    Jan 12, 2021
    The interesting thing is the whole staff at Georgia is gone. Don’t know if the assistants made the choice or the school did, but I can’t remember the last time I saw that. They list an associate AD as point of contact and have a director of ops still listed on the website, but other than that the cupboard is bare.

spykemanne repped this.
  3. Different perspective

man u
    United States
    Nov 10, 2021
    I don't know much about Bakersfield but I don't think the culture is good there or the coach is well liked or they wouldn't have double digit girls in the portal.

4. Different perspective

man u
    United States
    Nov 10, 2021
    This is so hard to see after being such a great program in the past.

5. Different perspective

man u
    United States
    Nov 10, 2021
    Any news?

6. Different perspective

man u
    United States
    Nov 10, 2021
    I am not sure we will ever hear the truth.

7. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Yes they let all 4 coaching staff members go. National search is on for the next HC right now. I would think that a few big names might like to try their hand in the SEC. Will def follow this one and interested in who they hire.

8. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    I stand corrected on this..I may have been off base!

9. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Keep an eye on this one...change could be coming...

10. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    not sure 100% some of those players on the portal are looking at graduate school, which many teams are doing, not bringing back those who have finished their undergraduate degree. This often has nothing to do with culture but with finances or a better player has been identified..or the player themselves wants to play her graduate season at a different university.

11. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Other possibility, player is looking at grad programs for specific careers after college and their current school doesn't offer it. Not always about the soccer for those 5th years!

HeadSpun repped this.
  12. Different perspective

man u
    United States
    Nov 10, 2021
    Looking at the portal, all but a few are underclassman, mostly upcoming sophomores that just had their first seasons due to no Big West play in 2020 or Spring. That is what leads me to believe that there is more of an issue. Their record was poor as well.

13. Inter Milan

Inter Milan New Member

Inter Milan
    Italy
    Nov 8, 2021
    So is Graham at Arizona State going to survive another, subpar season after bringing in all those overseas players?

14. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    She was deemed eligible based on falsified records. According to a HC in the same conference, it later came out that she is 26 years old.

15. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Has it been 3 seasons? Built a dynasty at USA that's still winning. Think he gets a few more years. Also have met him and talked to some of his players and coached against him, sharp guy and will find a way to be competitive.

16. CASLKING

CASLKING Member

Houston dash
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    I can’t really believe this - how would they figure it out?
    A player can be 26 and still be deemed eligible - if she can demonstrate she did not play any soccer between the end of her gap year and the beginning of her college start.
    There simply has to be more to this story - someone must of reported him with some sort of proof - like video of her playing in Brazil during the time she claimed she was not, something like that- or he must of known she had submitted information to the ncaa that was false.
    I just don’t see how it is possible to have her cleared through compliance, play a bunch of games and then all of a sudden boom ineligible.

17. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    But that's exactly what happened. Nobody is entirely sure why, but there was no legal challenge over the forfeited games, so safe to assume they were dead to rights.

18. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Legal challenge? C'mon now.

Who truly fights the NCAA (in this case, the conference made the decision anyway) and then, who fights the NCAA and wins? Again, insert Sun Belt since that's who this falls back on initially. Conference commissioners have so much power, and it's hardly ever challenged, and basically never won when challenged. Then, add into it that ULM admin (like many others) are mid-majors who have other more important things to be concerned about instead of fighting for a student-athlete.

Same goes for any legitimate refereeing decisions. You can have all the video proof. You can have referee assignors agree that things should have been done differently. But, at the end of the day, the NCAA Soccer SRE holds all the power and makes zero decisions that benefit the student-athlete.

NCAA, conferences, and institutions have many people in power positions who sit by and collect paychecks. It's rather embarrassing and disappointing.

19. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The claim is the kid is 26 years old and had received money (beyond expenses) to play before enrolling in college. That makes her ineligible & results in forfeits. Are you saying someone just made this up, and it somehow stuck and resulted in forfeits, and ULM just accepted it?

20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NCAA ruled eligible. Institution ruled eligible.

Conference made a decision.

These are all facts. ULM filed an appeal. But, appeals are nearly never accepted by conferences (or other powers that make these decisions). I know. I’ve done it several times.

It’s all trash how these people in power positions operate.

21. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    The appeal wasn't accepted because the NCAA and Institution ruled her eligible BASED ON FALSIFIED DOCUMENTS. The truth came out that the player's age was falsified in order to hide her participation as a pro player.

I'll once again ask if you're disputing this. Because it sounds like you're just saying that part shouldn't matter, and that all that matters is she was initially (wrongly) ruled eligible.

BigBear and Collegewhispers repped this.
  22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

1) it’s pretty clear that poncho is the ULM coach.
    2) you are correct. Ncaa and institution based eligibility on what they received by falsified documents by the sounds of things. 3) maybe the ULM coach and the admins at the time were not aware of the falsified documents. However based on previous discussions about the shady behavior of this coach you could draw the conclusion that he perhaps knew and decided to try and push it through anyway.

A lot of these foreign coaches that take the step to DI from other institutions seem to have the same issues. The Brits for some reason seem to think rules in college sports don’t matter.

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The appeal is through the conference. This didn’t even make it to NCAA, because she was eligible through NCAA — done twice. Also, declared eligible through institution.

Are you both forgetting the fact that 2020-21 was exempt and didn’t count against eligibility to essentially extend everyone’s eligibility regardless of the obscure “26 years old” that is being touted (a number that never appears in the DI manual).

Also, if ULM would have known this would have happened, why play her? They won 7 of last 9 games they played without her. Including wins over the 2-seed (South Alabama) and eventual tournament champs AND regular season conference champions (Arkansas State). It makes absolutely no sense that a coach or institution would knowingly jeopardize a season like this.

In terms of falsified documents, this is news to anyone regarding the situation. News to the conference and institution too. Her age (well, DOB) is found on their website, that’s not hidden or falsified.

24. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Who says they knew? Who says any of this was done knowingly? I'm saying that once the facts came out, the conference acted appropriately.

The falsified documents were in relation to her amateur status.

25. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Its ULM... who cares...

kudos to their coach because his program is now known and people are talking about them. all press is good press

Soccerguy1022 repped this.