2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Any thoughts on the Miami (FL) job? It’s been a dumpster fire for awhile now, but the last few years have been pretty poor

2. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
    Clearly you are back again under a new name. No chance any of the coaches mentioned go anywhere.

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Be given fair opportunity. And, yes that may mean on paper that your preferred male coach feels slighted. Men got more opportunities than women for years, not because they were more qualified. But because they were male. The good 'ol boys club is still alive and well.

usoccerbabe, BigBear and outside63 repped this.
  4. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Latearriving, I hear you but these were the perceptions of a couple college coaches I know in my area that I talked to about Villanova and why they wouldn’t touch it. Kids like to drink and party, administration caves in easily, and parents and kids there have a sense of entitlement and know the buzzwords to use and the admin listens to them first instead of having a coach’s back. That’s the overriding perception. A lot of coaches would understandably be nervous to be in that type of environment. The kids and parents ran a coach out of town who won more there in 2019 than in the past 15 years, so who will they get to take over in the aftermath of all that? Be careful what you wish for. Look at this sec dad whining on this board. His kid “only” was on 10%; so she gets $8,000 to quit on her team and not even have to show up and he’s still complaining.

The reason I mentioned Jill Lloyden is that she is still tied to the program and obviously has a name and most of all would think she would be interested. No head coaching experience, but doesn’t matter apparently for coaches that want to hire female coaches at what should be otherwise good programs like Arizona, Colgate, LMU, etc. and they’re fine with losing and underperforming programs there. Let’s see if they can get otherwise good candidates, male or female.

5. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    … The kids and parents ran a coach out of town who won more there in 2019 than in the past 15 years, so who will they get to take over in the aftermath of all that? …

Short answer is hopefully someone who is the exact opposite of the previous coach. And I again ask that you stop speaking of which you know nothing. From day one guy was toxic. I would say that the administration was overly tolerant and gave him plenty the benefit of the doubt - five years to be exact. Dude dug his own grave. Full Stop.

6. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    In all fairness, Soccertrustee, and in the interest of transparency, perhaps you should be more forthcoming that you're a fan of McLain and have been for a while. Perhaps you are McLain.

A simple search revealed as much: https://www.bigsoccer.com/search/1944322/?q=mclain&o=date&c[user][0]=120873

Footyballs and Fall2021 repped this.
  7. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, as a male coach, Yes, 100% hire a woman who may be less qualified but has been passed up for coaching opportunities before because of her sex. This isn't a hard decision. Men (white men, at that) have been making the rules and rigging the game in their favor for generations and now want to say "welp, you have an equal opportunity right now, so tough luck if we *just so happen* to be more qualified."

Smh...

8. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Any examples of males being hired to head jobs recently because of the good old boys club you mentioned?

9. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Duh. All of them!

10. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Look at the WSU assistant coaching staff. Look at Tom at UC. All guys who were fired for performance or other issues and picked up by their buds.

11. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I was asking about head jobs.

12. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    1. The coaching staff at Villanova was so bad it caused the players to turn to alcohol. I would be drinking if I had to deal with that nonsense.
    2. You are all drunk if you don’t think coaches will be lining up for the Villanova job. Villanova is the second best destination in the Big East. Any decent coach would have success at Villanova, the issues is the administration keeps making brutal hires!

13. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Good point! Administrations are all in on the conspiracy too!

14. Left Winger

Left Winger New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Oct 20, 2021
    “Won more there in 2019 than in the last 15 years?” They had as good or better seasons in each of 2004-09, and McLain's overall record was about as lousy as his two immediate predecessors. In five years since he was hired for his first HC job McLain made one conference tournament where he won one game, bookended around seasons that started bad and ended even worse the past two years. Of the fourteen kids in the class of '22, all of whom were recruited by McLain, only five were still in the program by the end of this year. And none of last year's grads stayed for their extra year. (Contrast, for instance, what Nate Lie has done at Xavier after taking over a program that was in a similar state a year later than McLain was hired at Villanova). Even apart from the issues with his temperament and behavior that have been raised it’s hard to see why the school would want to retain him.

Neither your coaching friends nor you have any basis to suggest the Villanova players drink and party any more or less responsibly than those at other schools. Or to claim that McLain’s firing resulted from parent-driven complaints or a sense of entitlement rather than legitimate concerns about the coach. The guy was a train wreck for years and the administration apparently finally decided he wasn’t worth the headaches anymore.

There’s no reason to think the issues McLain had should raise red flags for a new coach at the school. His problems were self-created and should be easily fixable.

Fall2021 repped this.
  15. staffstaff

staffstaff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 12, 2016
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has any Villanova team lost to LaSalle, Temple and Drexel within 3 weeks of each other giving up 8 goals and scoring zero? When was the last time Villanova was shutout by Penn? I would imagine the Athletic Director couldn’t have been happy about local results along with the conference results.

16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    The current Creighton head coach is an obvious example.

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So is the Minnesota hire an example
    Of the old girl’s club?

Footyballs repped this.
  18. decidedbyall

decidedbyall Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Hmm, I mean…I think she’s actually part of the 14 years as a head coach and 3 Big East titles club.

usoccerbabe, Cliveworshipper and ytrs repped this.
  19. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Arizona? UNLV? Northern Illinois? Creighton aside you don’t see male coaches being hired to Division I too often with little to no college experience these days.

Footyballs repped this.
  20. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    #1020 ytrs, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    How are they even the same? You just dug yourself a hole. The Minnesota hire was a successful Division I head coach at DePaul, and had a lot of other collegiate experience.

The Creighton head coach did not even have his college degree, let alone any Division I head coaching experience. In fact, he had no college coaching experience whatsoever before being handed this job.

21. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    UNLV had Pac-12 assistant coaching experience as well as playing experience at the women's NCAA Division I level.

Arizona head coach had experience as an NWSL womens assistant coach, and she had tremendous experience playing at the highest level (DUKE) in women's college soccer. I have no idea who the NIU head coach is so I cannot comment on them.

I find it interesting that you choose to see no value in the experience of having played Division I WOMEN's college soccer. I guess that would hurt your opportunities for jobs so you want to disregard that important 'experience' in running a WOMEN's college soccer program.

usoccerbabe repped this.
  22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t think the Creighton hire was a good one but it was referenced that a male who wasn’t qualified got the job because of the good old boys club. The Arizona coach had no college coaching experience, and the UNLV and NIU coaches had very minimum Division I coaching experience. These hires seem to be based simply on hiring a female coach at all costs.
    As for saying you can substitute Division I playing experience for lack of coaching experience wouldn’t that make the Creighton coach qualified for the job then? I personally don’t think because you played DI soccer makes you instantly a DI level coach.

I’m still not seeing all these head coaching hires of the good old boys club that you keep referencing.

Footyballs repped this.
  23. Fall2021

Fall2021 New Member

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Oct 20, 2021
    I couldn't agree with you more. The Villanova Women's Soccer team consists of very talented, dedicated and kind girls. It was the same story each year...each incoming freshman class were lights out and then under CM, the emotional decline in the players became ever so evident year after year. Starters transfer, others transfer...kids that didn't play were labeled "non-22"... CM begins to lose after game 5 and then tries to blame it on drinking to justify himself. Same pattern every year. It is such a non-factor that I am not even going to acknowledge that comment. These girls love each other and have an indescribable bond. They are disciplined athletes that want to play college soccer, they want to win games, grow as individuals & they want a coach that will encourage and teach them in a healthy environment. The families are all very nice, positive people who want to see the program thrive under a coach with integrity, class and character. There are an abundance of those coaches are out there and I know Villanova will find them! Villanova is a very special place.

24. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    I would expect some changes in California as I would not be surprised if LMU coach is no not retained. Northridge will be open and keep an eye on University of San Diego as I believe the coach there is in her last year of her contract. Maryland news not surprising. Seems some schools like Kentucky and Maryland getting a head start on the searches.