2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    And no @Eddie K I have no desire to get into an argument about anything. I responded to a post. Did not tag you. Having a differing PoV does not have to be an argument.

2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    No disrespect intended. Just poking fun at the negativity about the college game. I completely agree and concede that there's plenty of ugly looking soccer out there at all levels. I would also argue that there are very good coaches out there really trying to have players think and play and problem solve. Kinda what makes the game so 'beautiful' is the many ways it can be played and enjoyed. I mean we do have the best women's team in the world right now and all but about 2 where great college players.

A point I made in that long post I often make when talking to parents/recruits is to do your research. Try to recruit your school, not vice versa. I can almost guarantee players are happier if they look for schools and coaches that fit their needs or style of play rather than let coaches find them or just take the best offer. Not always realistic but something for recruits to think about. It still is shocking to many players when they realize their college coach ends up not being the best coach they've had.

3. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Wasn't being negative at all. Just a question about how coaches and teams would work on tactics with ball turning over so quickly between teams..

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    #79 Eddie K, Oct 27, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    We are way off topic here so pm me or lets start a thread about this if you want.
    No question that when you have more just athletes than good soccer players, its much easier to just press, press, press to win games since your opponents aren't skillful enough to break that pressure - individually or with the movement of the ball. Very many coaches just play a high press style and see if the opponent can deal with it. If they can't than the better athletes often win.
    In certain environments, like HS soccer on narrow, often crap fields, this leads to ugly slug-fest looking soccer. But it happens at every level.
    It is fun to see when a team is good enough building through and breaking pressure that they force pressing teams to back off and the soccer gets more attractive. But the "high press" has reached the highest levels of soccer and isn't going away anytime soon.
    The good ole days when everyone played 442 and you could possess the ball up to the mid line are long gone! The "playmaking wide back" is now one of the most valuable positions in the game. Teams are now often playing a version of 352 to highlight and free up that player.

Edit- have this exact conversation about high press/low press and needing skillful players with coaches in basketball and lacrosse all the time.

5. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    D1 head coaching job opening up next week I heard. we'll see how the word through the grapevine shakes out

6. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    Tarleton State?

7. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    and were back.......anyomous fourm and still people post kypted messages....so stupid.

BigBear repped this.
  8. Bulldog13

Bulldog13 New Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Georgia Southern is open

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  9. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    GSU website says contract "was not renewed" but still there for the rest of the Fall...

10. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Just an FYI......The team at Georgia Southern has been coached by the grad assistant since sometime in September. Head Coach and assistant were removed for some reason.

11. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Apparently they were under some kind of investigation, don't know any details, but if I find out, I'll be sure to share

12. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    I've heard Georgia Southern is trying to chase Power 5 assistants.

13. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question, when a new head coach is hired at a power five conference program how many losing seasons does he get before they let him go?

14. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    #89 upthemightyblues, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    That’s a really complicated and too general question to answer, as each situation is different. It depends largely on contract in terms of length and buyout. Depends on expectations, conditions of the program when this coach took over, history of the program, success in post-season tournament(s)...for example if a team has a “losing season” but wins a round or two or reaches the conference final in the conference tournament, it may keep that coach employed. Not making the conference tournament repeatedly is usually disastrous. It also depends on funding/resources and on how they get along with administrators and if there is a regime change (could then be more likely to make a change). It also could be determinate on lesser factors like APR, GSR, success in classroom. If those things are in order and kids are staying out of trouble, you may get a couple more years than you should.

A usual rule of thumb is minimum 3 years if no progress is made (and more likely 4-5 if it’s some progress but not enough). I’d be hard pressed to think of a P5 coach fired before 3 seasons for solely performance...but maybe someone on this forum can point out some examples of less than 3, but I think you can find more examples of coaches fired too late than too early, if that makes sense?

Now if it’s a case of NCAA violations or off field issues with said coach, that’s a different story. A lot of ADs/SWAs care about the student athletes experience (or claim to) way more than winning at even large schools, so if kids are staying out of their offices, admin isn’t receiving a ton of justified emails, and the kids seem to be enjoying their experience and have a good relationship with their staff, it definitely makes that coach harder to fire. Not saying I agree with that, just my experience. Not to say some of these staffs aren’t fired—it happens every year. But it sure is a lot easier to fire a coach with a high transfer rate, who has consistently underperformed, and of which student athletes have consistently complained. Again, not saying it’s justified or right, but just reality. If you’ve ever been around a staff/program in any sport at the college level it’s usually not a total surprise...either based on obvious poor performance, obvious off field or conduct issues or it’s a contract year and the results just haven’t come.

L'orange repped this.
  15. Almost done

Almost done Member

Juventus
    United States
    Oct 4, 2019
    Ask Ian Carry at Kentucky 20-40-6 - conference 6-28-4 ;)

16. Louisvillereferee

Real Madrid
    United States
    Apr 11, 2017
    Not a KY fan here but that guy needs to go. I mean just look at his record against SEC schools. Just a few since he’s been there and has run off a huge number of the team too.

17. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Completely agree but not likely, UK just gave him a 3 year contract worth 120k a year.

Oh and 2233soccer don’t use the pronoun ‘he’ or you’ll have feminist on this forum hunting you down.

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Kentucky coach just got an extension? That IS crazy.

19. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
  20. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    Imagine being the athletic administrator that watched that UK team lose to last years awful, abysmal LSU team, missing the conference tournament for the 4th straight year (third under IC’s watch) and deciding he needs a multi year extension. Let’s not forget this team played on second weekends of the NCAA in ‘13/‘14 and made a sweet sixteen before lipsitz was fired for missing *one* sec tournament. IC’s missed 3 straight! He’ll get to go this year only because the SEC is letting everyone in.

21. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Yeah, but he has an accent. Maybe admin enjoys listening to it during weekly meeting....

Footyballs and Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  22. PoptartKing

PoptartKing Member

Feb 11, 2020
    No surprise here. AD comes from a Power 5 background and wants to win the press conference more then anything and sell that "they are attracting top talent in the nation".

Very well could work but I've seen AD's get desperate and go after 2nd assistants or people that may not be as good a fit as some others solely due to the name of their program.

23. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    doubtful the job pays as much as most, if not all, P5 1st assistants make. Definitely in play for a P5 2nd assistant or a P5 1st assistant that just REALLY wants to be a HC (or get out of their current situation). Just can’t imagine, especially in COVID times that it’s difference making pay.

24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Sure the excuses sound really nice with a foreign accent.

is there any update on exactly what happened at Georgia southern for the position to be open?

25. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    Reached out to a few people, just heard there was an investigation into the way the team was being treated after some of the girls on the team complained. And the salary at GSU is public, I'm pretty sure it's $55k-$60k. It would be a pay cut for almost every first asst at a P5 school.