2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Open head coach positions:

Michigan State
    Utah
    Minnesota
    Arizona
    Utah State
    Wyoming
    Colorado State
    Northwestern State

2. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    I have a feeling SuperSoccer1978 knows a bit more about this situation. Are the chips falling?

3. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Oregon State is open.

4. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Thanks winwinchick. Meant to say Oregon St, not Utah St (Utah St filled now).

5. SmallSchoolGaffer

May 24, 2021
    Nicholls State, too.

6. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
  7. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
    Short stay. Something must have gone wrong. Looks like they did OK during his time .

8. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    Did not go well. A ton of players going to the admin..kids seeking help for mental health caused by the situation. Even good old college soccer truth on twitter alluded to this issues. The treatment of players there was not good for what people say and the admin decided to move on.

9. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    Kids are soft these days! lol. Our coaches used to chew our asses till they were blue in the face, then make us run. It made us tough, not cry. :)

outsiderview repped this.
  10. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do not know about the situation there, but college athletics is making a mockery of mental health these days. Players know what words to use to their advantage like "mental health". Admin are to afraid to tell the athletes college athletics is supposed to be hard and admin only really care about themselves looking good so it's easier to pay someone to go away and avoid a kid or their parents crying on social media, going to the news, or having a law suit like we are seeing more and more these days. It is the first time in their lives these kids are not being chosen, and can not handle it.

Fitballer, Footyballs and Lord Kril repped this.
  11. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Agree.This is just another case where a coach is tasked to change and improve a program but some spoiled family doesn't like the outcome/truth and then uses the key buzz words that lead to a dismissal. Pathetic that admins continue to cave to this and not support a coach. It's even more pathetic parents support this approach instead of teaching their entitled kid to fight, commit and work for something in life.

12. Coach 4 Life

Coach 4 Life New Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2020
    It is possible to be demanding, have tough standards AND be successful. There is no need to be verbally or mentally abusive. I don’t know what happened there but the old “ back in my day” has been passed by. Thankfully.

13. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    #538 winwinchick, May 27, 2021
    Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Maybe it doesn’t have anything to do with “soft kids” and since the rumored investigations have been going on for a while.

Pure conjecture (what could this random know about the situation) but I am fairly sure this has NOTHING to do with what transpired around 2011 to 2012. But I am sure there are three current head coaches that are wondering the same thing, and must be very nervous today. The enablers won’t last much longer. But yeah, problem of “soft kids” could have been the issue.

14. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    do tellllllllll

15. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
    Any one in particular the best bet for Arizona? Utah must be close now too. Would they take Watkins from Gonzaga? He was at BYU before.

16. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    I see Brent Anderson (former UVU women's HC) who is been at BYU as an assistant could be in the mix!

17. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Hard to argue with BYU's success. Someone with ties to their success would make sense for Utah.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  18. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hideki Nakada to Utah (from Stanford).

sokarcrazy repped this.
  19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

This could be your inkblot.
    Some spoiled family almost never gets a coach booted. There have been recent cases ( ahem, Cal) where a group of students complaining doesn’t do it.

First Time Finish repped this.
  20. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    Said this before but it bears repeating. Given it is possible to be a good coach AND someone that players like and respect, that should be the standard that coaches are held to. You should not be able to treat players poorly or without regard for their mental/emotional well-being, and then expect to remain in a position of leadership over them when there are more positive alternatives to leadership modes that are successful. Lot of blame on players thrown around in this forum, and unwavering support for the coaches without any details as to what has happened. If describes you, I would hope you’d consider what blind spots you might have about how you treat your own team.

outside63, ytrs, Cliveworshipper and 2 others repped this.
  21. Jamie JBS

Jamie JBS Member

Fulham
    England
    May 10, 2021
    Great hire! Good for him and the program. Feel like he is ready to be a head coach and run his own program. Lots of good experience.

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  22. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    ytrs and socalsoccer23 repped this.
  23. Footyballs

Footyballs Member

Barcelona
    United States Virgin Islands
    Dec 19, 2018
    First time finish are you still talking? Err, I mean typing. Thats because most of us in the forum are college coaches or have coached these young adults who literally will turn on you for the smallest thing, no loyalty whatsoever. Our AD's not one I have ever had understands soccer whatsoever, literally "what are the rules and what is the objective of the game" I've been asked by my AD's at multiple schools. They are all former basketball and football coaches who don't get it. You get your end of the season interviews and the AD's interview the players on the team, almost every year, ridiculous complaints from some such as "The players say you are running them too much, they are tired and don't want to run. I said, its soccer, we run 5-10 miles each week in games, literally the only running we do in practice is 30 minutes of fitness on Tuesdays at the end of practice, and maybe 5 minutes of sprints on Wednesday. So no fitness is allowed? lmao. And yes these players are getting soft, so much softer then when we played when we had to run 2 miles just to start every practice. We had discipline, and we had FUN. First Time coach, I mean finish, you want a coach who is tough and fun and that the players like, yep, those are called assistant coaches, or the last placed teams. Nicholls state coach was super fun, nice, Hung out with the girls, laughed, retained a ton of them, and went winless. Contract not renewed. FIU coach was a good example too of that fun nice mentality. Portland State, fun cool hip coaches. All bottom of the pack. Soccer is a tough sport. if don't want to play D-1 and have stern hard training and workouts, challenging and correction/growth, then go play D-3 or NAIA, or not at all. No mental abuse needed. Discipline though and structure builds top teams and character.

outsiderview repped this.
  24. First Time Finish

Nov 4, 2016
    I have coached at D1, D2, and D3 and been both an assistant and a head coach. You can set standards, have accountability, AND win without having your players think you are a jerk at each one of these levels.

You can be fired for performance on the field too and being a very nice person is not a good enough reason to overlook being a bad coach.

All of this to say, again, you can win games and have players respect you. You do not have to sacrifice one for the other, and if I were an AD I wouldn’t either.

outside63, BigBear, ytrs and 2 others repped this.
  25. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    The real question is what does being jerk mean? I think what the poster is saying is, not playing a player or telling them are good enough for a bigger role is not being a jerk. A lot of these kids have never been told no, held accountable or given criticism. I am not sure any of these people are condoning genuine mental abuse but that line seems a lot farther out that some are claiming. "mental health" sure seems like it is turning into a get out of jail free card. I am not sure anyone would characterize Mark K, Jerry S, or Anson D as nice.

My daughter played for a very tough club coach and a very tough college coach. Both were fair and awesome.

Most of the times, the kids who get these coaches fired are the bottom of the roster. It isn't difficult to figure out what those kids issues were.

Footyballs repped this.