2020/21 Hot Seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Chris Mahr, Aug 13, 2020.

1. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Over/Under on how long Roberts stays at Grambling?

2. USsoccerguy

USsoccerguy Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL!

3. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    if he has a good fall season I could see him trying to move on quickly considering the success on his resume. The issue may be if an AD picks up the phone and calls Ball State for a reference. I do think he will have a lot of success at Grambling though.

4. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Don't you think that should have happened before he was hired? Define "success" at Grambling? Couple wins, full roster, no NCAA violations?

5. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Do all coaches get a pass because of COVID-19 this year, or do you think AD's will take notice of programs heading in the wrong direction?

6. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure hope they don’t all get a pass. They are all in the same boat so if one coach is doing poorly they can’t blame it COVID

7. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Don’t think everyone is in the same boat. A team can lose players who opt out. If the team loses players to quarantine and you have to play without ones best players ,that is not a coaching problem. Many variables that have to be considered. Every state has different covid protocols to abide by. So not everyone is in the same boat. There will still be some changes probably as contracts are up etc but to say everyone is in the same boat Due to covid is not a realistic statement In my opinion.

8. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    I have a feeling this will buy some coaches time, but with the way recruiting is shaping up for DI schools, it could just lead to bigger problems for those coaches if they aren't on top of things. There might be a few changes this year, which would probably budget issues if salaries are too high and what not, but I am not expecting a huge turn around this year. Next year will be the true telling of how this really effected athletic departments and I expect more changes to come in 2022.

9. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
    Looping in the public outcry for in depth analysis on Towson into this thread. I think there is potentially zero chance mid-major coaches get fired this year based on performance unless they do something which endangers student athlete well-being. Even coaches at the end of their contract at this academic term will get a one year reprieve.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  10. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Do you think it is possible for a Big East coach to get fired this year?

11. upthemightyblues

Aug 30, 2020
    So what other places should be on the hot seat going into the Fall, if there won't be many changes now?

12. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I think there are so many factors into a decision to fire a coach. How well do they get along with the admin and support staff? Is there any drama in the program? What is the cost to the university to change staff right now? Does the AD have other priorities to deal with right now? If you think about it, the next season starts just a couple of months after this one ends. So maybe it is worth extending a coach - who you know is going to be fired - for another 6 months, and then letting them go in November.

13. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    a lot of coaches have contracts that end at the end of the calendar year rather than fiscal year anyway...so you may not see as much turnover this summer but a whole bunch after next year

Soccerguy1022 repped this.
  14. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Let’s hope Towson’s AD doesn’t renew the current coaching staff contracts. Talented group of players. But, head coach is struggling to create a winning culture. Another player has entered the transfer portal due to toxic environment. Also, can a coach ask a player to give back their scholarship to help with recruiting?

15. RVAKICKER

RVAKICKER New Member

Man United
    United States
    Oct 3, 2019
    As a former DI Admin, and Former DI player = Not saying much, I know. I think you will see some programs that are not winning, have a poor culture, and seem to lack leadership (either from the coaches or players) look to have changes made/ not renewed. The pandemic saved a lot of coaches/staffs. The AD's would rather start new than deal with the yearly headaches that just keep coming (Year after year). A good Admin, will support you, to an extent. A great Admin, will help you get through the tough times, and help you improve/ stand by you. Just a few thoughts.
    Also Tarleton State in Texas is starting up a program in the WAC.

16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's for women.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have Tarleton State first playing in the Fall of 2022, a brand new program. I have St. Thomas (Minnesota) starting in the Fall of 2021 in the Summit League, a re-classifying conference that already has soccer.

ThePonchat repped this.
  18. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    Praying this current team stays intact until they can get a new head coach. Several players are entering the transfer portal and more to come.

19. Sara Adams

Sara Adams New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Mar 27, 2021
    Anyone heard anything about who's in the running for Tarleton State?

20. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    An example perhaps of 'be careful what you wish for'. Like many coaching changes become.

If the current Towson roster was so talented, and able to get results, they wouldn't need a head coaching change. and if Towson puts some money out and brings in what they think is a hotshot recruiter who thinks they can recruit nationally, like JMU did, or Pitt did (ofcourse diff level), many of the current players at Towson would be demoted/transfer/replaced anyway. Along with the growing pains that a HC change naturally causes.

There is a common theme, often promoted by coaches (and administrators) and believed by parents and fans, that a new coach is going to wave a magic wand and make the current team much better. I'm sure folks at Towson thought KV would make Paynter's team better right away or the very next year. It rarely ends up that way.

IMHO - she's not going anywhere anytime soon unless she chooses to. She is the cheap local option and Towson is in no position to pay for a top-shelf replacement anytime soon. If and when you see the assistant coaches changed out, that's a common warning sign there's at least a little pressure on the HC. (ie, just happened at UMD)

21. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    There are several vert talented instate and international players on this current team! Most are not been utilized or put in their right positions. Coaching change coming real soon!

22. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i know Kat but haven’t spoke with her recently, but I do know Matt pretty well and have chatted a little with him. The Towson coaching staff don’t have any concerns of being removed from their positions and are in good standing with the AD. I would say this seat isn’t even remotely hot just now.

23. FutbolFan15

FutbolFan15 Member

Orlando city
    Brazil
    Oct 31, 2017
    So unfortunate for the future of Towson Women’s Soccer program moving forward!

24. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i personally respect the staff and believe they not only have knowledge of the game but they seem caring for their athletes as well.

25. Socalsoccercoach

Dec 1, 2013
    How about Oklahoma? 0-11 and I know it is a new coach but let a .500 coach go and now they are winless.