2020-21 European Teams

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by 110toyourleft, Sep 12, 2020.

1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to know why Steffen hasn’t played in a CL group match until this meaningless match today. Isn’t it pretty standard to have your #2 keeper play in the European matches and domestic cup matches? It’s not like Steffen is unproven or a slouch. WTF?

I’d also like to point out that even though they finished 3rd in their group and don’t advance to the CL knockout phase, Club Brugge and their American ‘keeper Ethan Horvath advance to the Europa League round of 32 (knockout phase).

2. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Pretty sure Champions League gets your A team, especially if you have aspirations of winning. A keeper can typically take that extra workload as well.

TrueCrew repped this.
  3. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading Demba Ba's quote (Senegalese, but born and raised in France), it definitely seems like the complaint wasn't about the Romanian word used, but rather the 4th official pointing him out as "the black guy over there" rather than "the assistant coach over there."

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's POSSIBLE to be calling out "the black guy" just as a way to quickly identify someone. Possible.

But good lord, even if there was no ill will, how do you not be smarter than that? How do you work your way up the FIFA ladder and be that ignorant?

Hmm. That last line sounds like the set-up for a joke.

5. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002

If there was a bench full of black coaches with one white coach, the 4th referring to an incident quite well could have referred to the white guy. The CBS crew after the game had Micah Richards on the wrap up and he made the comment context and tone matter. He said he may not be offended if someone identified him as the black guy in the studio just for identification. Did the 4th handle it well, absolutely not. Was there other context or tone, we don't know.

6. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    You have a bench full of coaches probably wearing the same jackets and clothing. Identifying a particular person quickly to the ref is not easy. The 4th should have pulled the official aside and discussed it. Then called over the particular coach, not referring to him as the black guy.

7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Wait, what? Are you claiming that it's not ok to address a crowd as "you guys"? If a coach says "you guys worked your butts off to be here" is that now racist in your opinion?

Is it some sort of gender issue? I frequently hear people of both genders use the term guys to refer to a crowd of mixed genders. Do they lack wokeness? What if someone says they are plural and their pronoun is "you guys"?

8. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    It is a gender thing saying you guys to a group that might include women. I catch myself doing it as it is hard to break, but really should be something to work towards. I wouldn't expect you to support it because, well you are you.

LaMacchia repped this.
  9. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Oh brother. Women use the term "guys" to refer to groups of mixed genders all the time. I think you've been conned by someone trying to convince you that it's insulting to women in a group to refer to the group as "you guys". If they say guys and gals or guys and dolls, does that make it better in your view?

10. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Times are changing my man. Should anyone take significant offense to a group being called guys, no I don't think so. Just because it's the way things have always been doesn't mean it's right.

LaMacchia and zman31 repped this.
  11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get what you are saying. But I am going to disagree. If a group of 10 people are standing around, and one of them yells something, and the ref asks, "Who said that?" and the person who did is the only black guy present, what in the world is wrong with responding with, "the black guy?" I would.

If there were nine black guys and one white guy, and the white guy did it, I'd say "the white guy."

If there were nine women and one man and the man did it, I'd say "the dude."

If there were nine men and one woman and the woman did it, I'd say "the girl."

There is nothing racist or sexist about it. You are just trying to ID the person in a group by an easily discernable feature. The redhead. The blonde. The bald guy.

Now, in this situation, I have no idea what the makeup of the group was. Or the motivation of the speaker. But the idea that the use of black/white (man/woman?) to describe someone is, in and of itself racist, is completely nuts to me.

In this situation, if most of the group is white, saying "the white guy did it" does not help pick the person out, does it?

Look, I do not even know how to tag someone, or the full backstory on the conversation. But if we are not even allowed to call black folk black, or white folk white, or women women, or baldies bald, then we have gone around the bend.

POdinCowtown repped this.
  12. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Champions League gets the A team for sure. Maybe a bit of rotation if it is a superpower vs a minnow. But even then, GD is a factor, and if you are a superpower you want an easier draw in the 16s. You want to finish first, not second.

Now, once placing in group is locked in, then you'll get some B teamers. Even then, for the smaller clubs, it is still a thrill to play vs Madrid or Barca or Bayern or Liverpool. I'd want to, wouldn't you?

Europa League or early round Cup games is different. Even then, once you get to tge QF/SF stage, you try to win it.

Perhaps a big team that gets KO'd from CL might prioritize winning the league over Europa Leage. But only if they are securely in a CL spot. Man United is in that spot. Inter Milan almost was, but they finished 4th and are out altogether. But since winning the EL gets you a CL spot now, most teams will go for it.

13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would challenge you to replace "you guys" in your vocabulary with "y'all."

Not because I'm a snowflake or because you're an insufferable prick, but rather because it's better to avoid stepping on toes in the first place.

That said, if you don't give a smelly sh*t about those that you interact with: Carry on.

14. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you could just say "You" and the context would indicate the plural versus the singular.

15. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my client-facing role, "you" indicates finger pointing. "Y'all" softens that blow, especially when paired with the folksiness that my pseudo-southern genteel accent brings.

TKyle repped this.
  16. Ueberjames

Ueberjames Member+

Columbus Crew
    Mar 28, 2009
    Stow, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my client-facing role, "You" is neutral, especially when you aren't putting the stress on the "You." For me, with my decidedly non-Southern accent, "Y'all" is inauthentic at best and sounds condescending at worst. For me, trying to put on a Southern accent sounds just as absurd as putting on a British or Australian accent. "Y'all" is just never going to be a part of my vocabulary in a normal setting, and I wouldn't recommend putting it on unless you grew up with the word and are speaking to a group that is comfortable with the term. And don't get me started with "Yinz."

LaMacchia repped this.
  17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't "yinz" if my life depended on it.

But, I agree: it's all about the speaker and audience.

TKyle repped this.
  18. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Back on topic, Gio Reyna with a fantastic first touch and finish to bring Dortmund level. A real joy to be able to watch Dortmund weekly.

Ueberjames and TKyle repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Favre was just canned at Dortmund after their 5-1 home lost to newly promoted Stuttgart...

20. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brett?

21. The Misanthrope

Aug 8, 2008
    Columbus Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steffan getting a start against Chelsea ..Think I heard them say due to players lost to Covid

TKyle repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final: Gladbach 3 Bayern 2!
    [​IMG]

Doop

That is all.

zman31 and TKyle repped this.
  23. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sundays FA Cup match between Tottenham Hotspur and 8th level Marine FC will be the biggest disparity between clubs in FA Cup history.

Tobias C and Bill Archer repped this.
  24. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States