2020-21 Academy Season

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Sep 4, 2020.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I actually took the time to watch the game above that @SUDano referenced. I think that discussion is over, but I wanted to use it to make a slightly different point.

Alan Carleton is extremely talented. I’m going to trust my eyes on this one instead of Atlanta’s utilization of him this season (which is bizarre for many of their academy players). There can’t be more than a handful of players in that age group nationally with the same level of talent. He reminds me of a cross between Leyva, Pomykal and McGlynn.

I’d hope that he can be evaluated on his own merits and his development and discussions about him won’t always be a discussion with undertones about his brother. I am however convinced he’s told them he’s not signing with them. Andrew even said so in an interview. There’s just no way some of the kids Atlanta elevates and promotes are as good as Alan. There’s no guarantee he pans out, but there’s a huge gap between that and using him like you would a player whose not sticking around. I’m going to reverse some of my recent thinking this season that his stock from last season had dropped this season due to not getting much game time.

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta U-17 vs. Kendall U-17: Italo Jenkins ('05) was playing at LB. He's another of these Atlanta 05's whose not played much this season with the U-17's, and when he is, his utilization (LB in this game) makes no sense. He's clearly not a LB. He made some nice defensive plays, but he was gambling. He made as many errors as nice plays. I could understand trying to tinker with his position as he's big and athletic, and may not have the ability to be a top-level CF, but I don't think he's a LB long-term. I don't even think he's left-footed.

Ty Nero ('05) got a full game, which is nice to see as I've barely seen him play all season. I won't beat the dead horse on why any more. Nero played a pretty solid game at CB defensively. He's okay building from the back. More of a good athlete who can defend and isn't a liability technically. Daniel Sebhatu ('05) had a weak game. He was playing as a CF in this game. His soccer IQ is still pretty weak, and I'm starting to wonder if he's as athletic as I previously thought.

For Kendall, the standout was Ian Nunez ('04). He's a big CM. He was playing in a LCM role. He's a left-footed CM whose probably a #8 long-term. He has a good passing range, he looks to shoot anytime he's near goal, and he has pretty good composure on the ball. Athletically, he's about average. He didn't have much of a defensive role in this game, although I think he would probably be good enough defensively to play as a #8 in a different formation.

DC United U-17 vs. PDA U-17: PDA didn't have anyone worth mentioning. This looks like a weak age group for them. Troy Matingou ('04) plays a half at CB and was pretty inconsistent. He made some good defensive plays, and also some errors. Jackson Hopkins ('04) played a half in a #8 role. He's more of a CF or CAM. I didn't hate the idea though. I could see him having some success in a deeper role, but he wasn't very effective in this game.

3. Befuddled

Befuddled Member

Swansea City
    United States
    Mar 27, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know why SKC and NYRB are not participating? Is it because both 17s and 19s are missing playoffs? What about the 15 teams? Unfortunate if they will not be able to participate.

4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone on here going to be at the showcase?

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #755 David Kerr, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    The Playoff schedules have been sent out. I’ve been sent the u15, u17, and u19 schedules. Most of the games are either at night (6pm-8pm kickoffs) or very early (8am-10am kickoffs) to avoid the mid day heat

6. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    There are some 12 noon games too, but 4 pm is probably worse and they seem to be avoiding that mid-afternoon time at least in the playoffs (not sure about showcase). Also, no NYRB, but SKC is there in U15.

Seems like they may have been debating whether to include or exclude interdivisional games. They decided to include, which caused some reshuffling in seeding.

7. Befuddled

Befuddled Member

Swansea City
    United States
    Mar 27, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone care to share copy of schedules?

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once I see that MLS releases the playoff schedules I’ll post them on Twitter. Waiting so I don’t get in any type of trouble from them just to be safe

Befuddled repped this.
  9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No word from MLS yet. The mod11 website portal (new rankings/schedule site) is currently not functioning and hasn’t been since 2pm est. There are a lot of parents, college coaches, and scouts coming to this event so hopefully something is released soon

10. Usa soccer11

Usa soccer11 Member

Man city
    Brazil
    Dec 29, 2020
    My sons team hasn't received anything yet I just arrived in Dallas this morning the fields look amazing hopefully something is out soon will send it out once I receive something very hot also

USSoccerNova and gogorath repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

TarHeels17 repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Midwest guy, I’m excited for SC Wave (Wisconsin), Lou Fusz, and Kings Hammer Academy. I’m assuming the two latter clubs will be only u14 and below. Also happy to see Beadling SC join to finally give Pittsburgh an academy team

USSoccerNova and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I also think adding an academy in Las Vegas is important.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That’s Las Vegas, England to you.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    U-19: Solar vs. Saint Louis FC and then a few TBD's
    U-17: FC Dallas vs. NYCFC and then a few TBD's
    U-16: San Antonio vs. LA United Football Academy and then a few TBD's
    U-15: San Jose vs. LA Surf and then a few TBD's

18. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
  19. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Nevermind, a pit more perseverance found this:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-next-cup-playoffs-2021-streaming-schedule

MLSsoccer.com and the free MLS app will stream the following select matches from the MLS NEXT Cup 2021:

Friday, June 25
    • 7:05 PM ET: LA Surf (14) vs San Jose Earthquakes (19)
    • 9:35 PM ET: San Antonio FC (14) vs LAUFA (19)
    Saturday, June 26
    • 10:05 AM ET: U15 match - TBC
    • 12:35 PM ET: U16 match - TBC
    • 7:05 PM ET: FC Dallas (7) vs NYCFC (26)
    • 9:35 PM ET: Solar SC (13) vs St. Louis FC (20)
    Sunday, June 27
    • 12:05 PM ET: U17 match - TBC
    • 7:05 PM ET: U19 match - TBC
    • 9:35 PM ET: U17 match - TBC
    Monday, June 28
    • 10:30 AM ET: U15 Quarterfinal
    • 12:00 PM ET: U16 Quarterfinal
    • 2:00 PM ET: U15 Quarterfinal
    Tuesday, June 29
    • 10:30 AM ET: U17 Quarterfinal
    • 12:00 PM ET: U19 Quarterfinal
    • 2:00 PM ET: U17 Quarterfinal

20. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Since we don’t know some of the games they’ll stream and I doubt it matters to list a player if you can’t watch them play, I’ll just list players to watch from the streamed games. You can ask me again once the matchups are listed for the next set of games.

I'll list all the relevant names, and bold the better players.

U-19: Solar vs. Saint Louis FC
    U-17: FC Dallas vs. NYCFC
    U-16: San Antonio vs. LA United Football Academy
    U-15: San Jose vs. LA Surf

U-19:

Saint Louis FC: Kyle Genenbacher (#6), Akwasi Douglas (#7), Jack Wagoner (#10), Connor Gramke (#14), Quinten Blair (#41)
    Solar: Alioune Ka (#2)

U-17:

FC Dallas: Aaron Salinas (#31), Pranav DuBroff (#35), Diego Hernandez (#36), Anthony Ramirez (#51), Carlos Sanchez (#40), Chris Sanchez (#51), Tarik Scott (#41), Jordan Jones (#38), Nighte Pickering (#33), Nolan Norris (#32), Matthew Corcoran (#8)
    NYCFC: Alex Hauschild (#3), Cooper Flax (#6), Diego Rossi (#7), Tyler Morck (#8), Damon Rouse (#15), Mark Cajamarca (#20)

U-16:

San Antonio: Angel Bernal (#4), Alek Melo (#19), Kai Louviere (#36), Roberto Renteria (#35)
    LA United Football Academy: Haven't seen this team play

U-15:

San Jose U-15: Haven't seen this team play
    LA Surf: Haven't seen this team play

SUDano repped this.
  22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some notes on this from my end:

For St Louis particularly pay attention to Jack Wagoner, barring an injury I think he will be the first St Louis City homegrown. Captains that 19 side while playing up as an 04. The second homegrown for the club will likely be Josh Maher who also will be with the 19’s as a 2005. I think Josh is the most talented among the 3 Maher brothers

For FC Dallas, bold both Diego Hernandez and Nolan Norris. Remove bold for Pranav DuBroff and remove Matthew Corcoran from the list who will be with the 15’s

Alex Hauschild while a major 2006 LCB prospect, is with the u15’s this week. Replace him with Kamran Acito

dougtee repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

24. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I swear the level of play gets better every year. I haven’t been watching closely enough to point out any players that have stood out in this Surf/SJ game, but I swear the technical ability and understanding of the game overall is significantly better than it was even 2 years ago.

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States