2020-2021 UEFA Referee Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    The kicks from the mark were entertaining. Turpin looked calm and poised, and AR2 placed his furled flag on the ground. That's all I have!

2. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Wow I didn't even notice this on the highlights. Interesting though.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turpin wearing short sleeves might be one of the more interesting aspects of the officiating. And that’s saying something.

4. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
  5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, any match has to have some interesting incidents!

I think 52' is fine. It is two players with outstretched legs who both kick the ball and each other. By the book, it's more of a penalty than a defensive free kick, sure. But in the context of what actually happened, the defender is much more in control of his body than the attacker is.

64' is nothing for me. Sure, the distance is great, but the defender is pretty clearly trying to make himself smaller and get the arm out of the way.

84' has a hint of SFP but yellow feels like the correct result given the overall positoning of bodies during the tackle and, frankly, the magnitude of the match and the competition. A red card would be an over-punishment compared to how potential SFP is treated in UEFA. The most interesting aspect is how Turpin ultimately arrived at the caution decision.

113' is interesting. Not so much for the off-the-ball "incident" (simple foul?) or the Cavani dissent card (good!), but the handball. Everything about it screams "no penalty" except for the open palm, which makes things tricky because it feels deliberate/unnaturally bigger when you slow things down. But we aren't supposed to do that. At live speed, there's no way that's deliberate and all the mitigating factors are present. It's also perfectly natural for him to come across like that with his left hand because, until the deflection, there's no chance of the ball even hitting that left hand. It's a good no penalty decision from the VAR (seems pretty clear Turpin didn't even assess the possibility in real-time).

So, ultimately, while all four are good theoretical referee discussion points, I don't think any of them rise to a level of controversy.

6. Alex-Ref

Alex-Ref Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    The most interesting thing during that game was probably when the AR flagged one way for a throw in and Turpin overruled him and then the AR switched his flag above his shoulder.

7. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    AR playing too much fifa

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Good reffing by Lahoz to play advantage and then after a really long period of time return to YC Gundogan. However, looking back at the foul... yikes. I think no one expects a RC both because it lacks force, it's a final, and it's the first misconduct, but it's a bad challenge, high on the leg.

9. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    Wow, on that Chelsea goal - had Havertz not scored, Ederson could have been sent off for DOGSO-H. Good advantage by Lahoz...

10. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    did he play advantage? I think he just let play continue.
    I thought Lahoz was solid. I think he uses too much expressive hand gestures. And the last couple mins of stoppage time I think he could’ve handled better.

IASocFan repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Doesn’t matter, but may have been tough for him to even see the hand there.
    Well, I don’t think we know if he saw the handling from his angle or not or if he thought it was inadvertent rather than deliberate (or all that other stuff). But if he saw it, thought it was an offense, and waited, he did play advantage by letting the goal stand—and may not have ever signaled advantage as the goal makes the advantage clear.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes but the irony is it Ederson doesn’t handle, the goal scoring opportunity likely would have been worse—if existent at all. The handball slowed the ball and made the opportunity even better.

rh89, Rufusabc and Mikael_Referee repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree he may have not seen it perfectly. That’s probably a VAR decision in the end if it needs to be made.

I also would suggest this is always a punishable handball when a goalkeeper is rushing out like this. His intent is to stop a goal at all costs. He normally uses his hands. Unless his hands and arms are completely tucked into his body, I’d say any ball to hand contact is punishable.

rh89, Rufusabc and Mikael_Referee repped this.
  14. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    There was lots of pointing without obvious purpose. Like he was pointing out somebody to come back and caution, or calling a random goal kick just for fun.

I loved his tough-love card to Rutiger, help him up with the right and before letting him go carding him with the left.

15. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    he was great

it’s nice to see a human out there rather than some robot. his expressions are part of the package, and he managed the entire game very well.

Bravo Mateu!

16. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I disagree with the breadth of the statement. On this play, I’m pretty sure it should be handball, but once the GK leaves the PA, he’s just another player and has to be judged accordingly—he should have no more responsibility to hide his arms than any other player. (Perhaps the burden of proof tweaks slightly, but GKs shouldn’t be sent off for handling that doesn’t meet the criteria any more than any other player.

17. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Totally disagree with that one.

18. soccerref69420

soccerref69420 Member+

President of the Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz fan cub
    Mar 14, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea DPR
    I agree with this as well. In my experience even at the lower level games that I do, the referees who act robotic rarely interacting with players/coaches tend to have the worst game management skills, while the ones more willing to talk, explain decisions, etc. seem to handle games better. The robotic ones are the ones who tend to give refs a bad name, making people think we are all arrogant authoritarians too good to talk to players, which I think is part of why people then treat refs like shit because we seem detached from the rest of the humans.

I had no idea who this ref was since I don't really follow soccer outside of the biggest matches, apparently the opinion of this guy seemed to be that he is a pretty good ref but is pretty flamboyant and makes the game about himself which seemed pretty true after watching it.

19. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Belgian Manager Roberto Martinez has come out to say the Rudiger-KDB challenge should have been a red card. I know DeBruyne suffered serious injuries, but I don’t think there is anything in there besides a yellow card. Rudiger stepped into the path of KDB, and height played the definitive factor for me. Can’t re-referee after you see the injury.

20. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I'm always entertained by a manager's comments after a match...especially the loser. Back in the 90's Manu crushed Nott. Forest 8-1. Ron Atkinson lamented, "I still fancied our chances when it was 7-1 but that last goal killed us! :p

Ps...Solskjaer, as a sub, scored 4 goals in the last 20 min.

IASocFan repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd also consider Martinez's primary job as Belgium's manager in the context of this comment. Martinez is in the studio watching his top playmaker go down with a pretty serious injury. It was absolutely a caution, but I think Martinez was thinking about the impact this may have on his team when making that comment.

22. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    All VARs for the EURO will be in Nyon, Roberto Rosetti announced in a press conference today. Referees are being instructed to be strict on dissent and not to be taken in by easy falls (in the penalty area).

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  23. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    What's the over/under on how many games are played before it's clear that isn't actually happening?

Pierre Head repped this.
  24. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Actually, this time I think that's a little unfair. If you watch UEFA matches this last KO stage, you will see (most) referees always cautioning a player in a mobbing scene, even a card at 6' for dissent in CL this season. So I hope the EURO continues in the same vain!

25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I sincerely hope you're right. Anything that actually challenged dissent instead of being lip service would be so welcome to the Game.

(Carding one player for a mob of dissent is a pretty low bar, but I'll take any progress we can get!! But wouldn't it be nice to have a Game where mobbing the ref just wasn't a thing anymore?)

IASocFan, Thegreatwar and Mikael_Referee repped this.