2020-2021 England Referee Appointments (EPL+) [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find the continuation of this debate fascinating. You can simultaneously hold the views that there are a "Big Six" set of clubs and that not every intra-Big Six appointment is necessarily major and certainly not inherently the biggest appointment of a given week.

To that end, no, I don't see a particularly important referee analysis use for enumerating the Big Six appointments. But I also don't see much harm in it either. I also don't see any plausible debate arguing that Liverpool-Everton is not the biggest match this week.

For what it's worth, factions within the EPL have literally been trying to codify the power of the "Big Six" recently. So it's certainly not some invented phenomenon https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ect-big-picture-epl-latest-news-b1039037.html

And, back on refereeing matters, it is important to remember that the top referees cannot have all the top battles. So it's a puzzle to work out and try to plan for. Taylor getting a quasi-relegation battle early rather than the Merseyside Derby or Man City v Arsenal is probably a prime example of how that puzzle can play out.

2. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Good summary.
    Maybe it's just semantics but you use "Big Six" rather than balu's "top six", which may be a more appropriate moniker for this type of analysis, and this would lessen my criticism somewhat. I agree that there is not much harm in it other than perhaps leading to a false impression.

It seems to me that the top referees should get sent to the most critical matches, either at the top or bottom of the table, and that the lower ranked ones get the games in the middle of the table and this is often what happens. This would be a better way to judge which referees are more highly ranked overall than simply using matches between a preselected handful of teams, if that is the purpose of keeping track of which referees get the important games. I think the listing would be very different from the list currently shown. Maybe two lists should be compiled and then compared at season's end.

Incidentally, FWIW, West Brom and Burnley have been members of the Football League longer than most of the others, the exceptions being Everton, Aston Villa and Wolves, so a big match from a tradition standpoint!

I want to add that I do appreciate the posting of the complete assignments in the EPL. It is a quick and useful reference.

PH

RefIADad and frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. jdmahoney

jdmahoney Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Plymouth, MN
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I know a lot of y’all on here are down on Kavanagh, but I disagree and I am a fan of his. IMO, he’s England’s #5 option right now (Oliver, Taylor, Atkinson, Dean) and only behind Oliver and Taylor in Europe. He’s still quite young and has a lot of room for growth- wouldn’t be surprised if he is in line to be primed for the 2026 WC.

4. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Unfortunately, Oliver will probably be around 41 at that time. So he’ll be competing alongside M. Oliver For WC26. I don’t think kavanaugh can compete with Oliver unless we see him step up significantly or Oliver drops off heavily.
    I actually agree with your order tho. Oliver, Taylor, Atkinson, Dean, Kavanahhh. Although, some posters think Dean is closer to the top 3 (Pierre lol) I think they’re part of the old guard. A pair of trusted hands if things get sticky for the other officials with European competitions but not the 1-2 officials to be selected.
    I’m actually kinda curious with Bobby Madley back With the pgmol if he works his way back up to the top.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Interesting incident in EVE:LIV

The Everton keeper commits clear SFP against van Dijk.
    Only to be saved by a VAR determination that van Dijk was offside.

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Arlo White thinks Pickford should've been sent off anyway.

Am I right in thinking the ref doesn't have the option of doing that? Could it be classified as VC?

There's no doubt it would be SFP if not for the offside call.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I agree. But IMO, it’s a bit dicey.

It can only be SFP if the ball is in play. If there has been an offside call, the ball is not in play. VC is your only option.

My problem with this is that the ball was in play at the time the tackle took place. It took VAR to determine the offside.

The fact that it was subsequently determined to be offside, should be irrelevant to a tackle that happened while the ball was in play. Oh well.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So a player can get scissored down and seriously injured and an off sides call negates a RED card? This just doesn't make any sense. The attacking player isn't looking across the defensive line to see if he is off sides. I hope van Dijk is OK.

9. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    The explanation officials gave to NBC was ... unclear.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost none of what is written above is correct. Much of it is blatantly incorrect.

Offside was the call on the field. It was not made by VAR.

Oliver never indicated he was punishing the tackle so to say VAR saved Pickford is incorrect in that regard. Oliver could have accepted the offside flag and given a red card. He didn’t.

It is correct that VAR then did not intervene to tell Oliver a clear red card was missed. But the semantics over it being VC v SFP are totally irrelevant. If the nature of the challenge was a clear red card, the VAR should have intervened.

It is frustrating to try to discuss these sort of things when nearly all key facts presented are wrong.

frankieboylampard, refinDC, rh89 and 2 others repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    It’s frustrating. I think they are saying that it technically could be called for the reason I stated. But the CR never made a call on the SFP, so there somehow wasn’t clear error. I’m not certain, but that’s how I heard that.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, to short circuit a likely argument and correct something Arlo White said... because either VAR determined the act was a penalty OR Oliver said “I have a penalty if the offside is wrong,” VAR can and did check the offside. If the offside was wrong, a penalty would have been awarded.

But the red card question is completely independent and does not rely on the veracity of the offside. So the VAR didn’t think this was a clear red card.

13. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But my point is that there was no call at the time of the tackle. There was a flag, but certainly no call. The ball was in play.

Yes, Oliver made the call and VAR confirmed. But why, there was no goal scored. The offside should not have been checked.

14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Which is ridiculous.

yossarian and Orange14 repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not going down a rabbit hole here. You don’t understand how VAR operates yet assert incorrect things to be true. It is 100% false that VAR shouldn’t have checked the offside, yet you declare it here. You reiterate the idea of the ball being in or out of play mattering—it 100% doesn’t for a VAR red card decision. Asking questions when you don’t know is completely understandable. Constantly asserting untrue things only to be corrected is baffling. My point is that the way you presented facts here was wrong, which is why I corrected them.

16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    My point all along has been this -
    The ball was in play at the time of the tackle.
    There was a subsequent offside call which is irrelevant to the card.
    There was no reason to have a VAR review as a goal wasn’t scored.
    The fact that there was a review means they were interested in the tackle and were giving a pk if there is no offside.

So both VAR and Oliver were willing to give a PK.
    The fact that neither then gave a red card despite the offside, is incompetence or cowardice. Either way, it is a complete failure by the officiating crew.

Orange14 repped this.
  17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It's equally frustrating when the explanation we receive from officials, such as the one given to Rebecca Lowe, is unclear.

I think this can be a learning experience for the public, the commentators and maybe even the officials involved in this match. That will require a bit of humility and an open discussion.

So my questions would be:

1. When was that offside call made? I only saw the replay.

2. What was Oliver checking with VAR?

3. While the semantics over VC v SFP may be irrelevant in the eyes of an official, I think they're helpful in explaining the Laws to befuddled supporters and commentators. Which would it be in this case? If Oliver accepts the offside call and gives a red card, what's going on the report?

4. Is there any argument that, if the ball is deemed to be in play, Pickford's challenge isn't SFP?

Sport Billy repped this.
  18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Given that last response from PGMOL that the possibility of a red was never looked at I still maintain either incompetence or cowardice.

Orange14 repped this.
  19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You still have contradictions in here and assertions that are not necessarily supported by the evidence you present (e.g, that BOTH Oliver and the VAR had a PK—it could have been one or the other).
    1. Immediately on the field.
    2. Again, the veracity of the offside was checked because someone had a PK contingent on the offside being incorrect. This is consistent with established protocols and we’ve seen it regularly since VAR’s inception.
    3. It really doesn’t matter and is an academic question up for debate. SFP if the ball was in play but VC if it wasn’t. You could argue all day about whether or not the ball was in play when the tackle occurred. It truly doesn’t matter unless a competition has different punishments for the two and EPL does not.
    4. This is the only real interesting referee question. Given Oliver’s decision, there has to be. But I think it basically rests entirely on the philosophy that keepers get away with a lot more when they are trying to make a save. Particularly in England. Given the nature of the challenge, red should be the only answer from an officiating perspective.

Beau Dure repped this.
  20. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It appears the referee certainly acknowledged that a PK would be warranted if not for the offside call. So he knows it's a foul. How is it not a card? I don't understand in what universe that challenge is merely "careless."

21. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    AR raised the flag when VVD got involved with the GK there.

As @MassachusettsRef stated above "if it's not offside, it's a penalty." So VAR is confirming the offside, and if it's not offside, they're going to tell Oliver such, and he'll call the penalty, and likely a caution (my guess on the last bit).

Violent Conduct, because officially the ball was OUT of the play when the tackle was made, due to the offside offence happening before the tackle.

If the ball is in play, and that deemed to be red, then it would be SFP.

Beau Dure and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A yellow cannot be given in this case if the penalty isn’t actually awarded via VAR.

Of course, Oliver could have given the card in the first place even if he didn’t have red. But again I think it all falls back on “keepers get away with a lot more.”

Beau Dure repped this.
  23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Thanks.

I'm still curious about SFP vs. VC just for the definition of "in play." Perhaps it's merely academic in this specific case, but I could see other circumstances in which the definition would be relevant.

24. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Thanks very much.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006