2020-2021 England Referee Appointments (EPL+) [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    There was one ref that kept using those long after everyone else stopped and I forget who it was.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Roger East was the last to use one in the EPL. Mark Halsey and Peter Walton both also preferred it, if I remember correctly.

LampLighter repped this.
  3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    In the United-Villa Match, Villa goes quickly with a free kick, straight into a statue of a United player. Michael Oliver shrugs, another Villa player PICKS UP THE BALL, puts it back down a few yards behind the original spot, and Villa goes on to score. There was no whistle after the ball was legally put in play, nor any card, or discussion.

Minutes later United gets a contentious penalty. It seems there might be a longer review, but no. Oliver is having a tough year.

4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I’m glad I wasn’t the only one to see that. That was either whistle for a restart or handling. And he was so close to the restart he almost got hit by it.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was playing foosball with my son, so I didn't see the Villa restart. There are a lot of ways that could have gone. What did happen is definitely NOT one of the ideal ways to handle it. :)

I was fine with the penalty call. Definitely enough contact with the pull on Pogba's shoulder to justify making that call. I also didn't completely agree with Jim Beglin's commentary that there was a tangle of legs.

6. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I disagree. Granted I was watching the match on my laptop. The contact on the shoulder seemed to not be in line with what is expected from the PL. especially in a very close match. I could see the PL supporting the call but not wanting that type of foul.

I may be in a minority here but I’m fine with the no yellow card for FRD. The United player tried to cheat the restart, and Villa allowed to play the restart to Jack Grealish. I think this is an instance where this type of play is only done at the highest levels. And not the levels most of us work. It’s very risky by Mike Oliver.

Overall I think Oliver’s performance was a C. He left more to be desired with the foul selection. He got the PI right for matic on Jack grealish. But allowed such a high threshold for fouls.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Man U gets another penalty.
    Shocked, I'm shocked I tell you!
    Are they leading this season on penalties awarded yet?

PH

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not even close. That was the 4th awarded. That puts them level with AVL, Fulham and BHA and behind Chelsea (5) and the clubhouse leader Leicester at a whopping 9.

9. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    The penalty was very soft. Not a decision that merited a VAR intervention either way, but I think most reasonable observers would say that’s a really soft penalty and would be better off not given.

I wasn’t all too concerned with how he managed the Villa set piece leading to the goal. Justice prevailed, and Villa would have been unjustly disadvantaged if he went through the whole ordeal of backing up the ManU players and restarting with the whistle. Perhaps he could have been more proactive in getting them to respect the distance, though ...

Last thought - he tried to play advantage off a delayed VAR-related offside flag and then had to halt the play dead after Bailly’s ferocious challenge. Was interesting because Bailly was booked but it ended up being ManU’s IFK for the proceeding offside. And honestly, that card was more orange than yellow. I don’t think that was handled well.

10. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  11. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #661 mathguy ref, Jan 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Alternate facts, I suppose:D.
    However, the final end of season tally is what matters, so we shall see at that time.

PH

13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Same numbers -- the "PK" column on fbref is the number of kicks scored.

PKatt is the one that reports how many have been awarded.

The only difference I've spotted between those two is Fulham (4 v 5).

14. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    In the opening minutes of the Chelsea-ManCity, Anthony Taylor calls a backpass on the City ‘keeper. The indirect free kick is placed OUTSIDE the penalty area.

15. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #665 TxSooner, Jan 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
    Yeah, noticed that too. Pet peeve of mine for these illogical restart locations. Would you have a direct free kick inside the penalty area and blow it off just because the location still was within a foot or so of the foul?

16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The other issue with the spot of that free kick, besides the clear violation in law, is that the incorrect spot of the kick actually benefits Chelsea. In that location, Chelsea gets a little more room to operate.

When you have a technical/law-related issue like the keeper illegally handling a backpass inside fo the penalty area, the free kick has to reflect that it was inside of the area yet still indirect.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but that's because DFKs inside the attacking penalty area are literally unlawful. Attacking IFKs can occur inside or outside the penalty area.

In the scenario you're suggesting, we'd have immediate questions about whether or not something should have been called a PK. In this scenario, everyone should understand the location of the restart is just slightly off--no one would question the veracity of the actual decision.

This is the question, though, isn't it? Does it have to?

Before I get accused of being contrarian for the sake of it... yes, ideal world you put the IFK on the line or right inside the penalty area to avoid any questions. Obviously better practice if you just make sure that happens as a referee.

With that said, two things...

First, no one cared.

Second, long ago in the Laws there was language about free kicks and throw-ins being taken from within one yard of the offence or ball going out of play. That language eventually disappeared, but I would argue the principle never has (it's not like we charge referees with finding the exact blade of grass, so there has to be some leeway involved). If the offence here took place at 17.5 yards from goal and the restart was inches outside the penalty area, from a law/tradition standpoint, I think everything is fine and within both the spirit and letter of the law--particularly when you go back to point one and recognize that no one cared.

We're hung up on the line here because the line defines the offence. Yes, it's best practice to make sure the restart occurs inside the penalty area. But I wouldn't make a mountain out of a molehil here--the IFK being a few inches outside the penalty area isn't actually unlawful.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're in the minority, you're in a minority that is correct! I wouldn't even call it that risky for Oliver. Look at everyone's body language on that field--it's the expected result.

Like you said, United tried to cheat the restart. By not intervening in an aggressive and overly proactive way--one that might then require Oliver to hold up play (giving United what they wanted)--Villa was able to take the restart quickly and score. So long as Oliver isn't engaging United in a way that they then become disadvantaged (e.g., he wasn't in the process of verbally warning the player who first blocked the restart and distracting him from defending obligations), everything worked out perfectly here. A free kick is supposed to be exactly that. When we can ensure that it remains a free kick, rather than a situation that is a mandatory caution, we're engaging in top-level officiating. That's what Oliver did here.

Caveat that there would be slightly different circumstances where Oliver's hands would be tied. I mentioned him engaging a defender (or even attacker) in conversation or warning. If the restart was truly several yards away and not in the correct vicinity, that would also required him to make this a ceremonial restart. But what actually happened? It's what every stakeholder in that match (both players and referee administration) wants and expects/accepts.

19. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Also it would be to Chelsea's advantage for the ball to be placed a little further out from goal. This gives more distance behind the defensive wall for the ball to dip into the goal. This why nobody (from Chelsea) cared.
    Simple physics at play.

PH

20. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Having not actually seen the incident, I think from a procedural standpoint I would expect the referee to "spot" the ball with the vanishing spray in this scenario. In the end it's a moot point because no one on the pitch cared, but did that happen, and if so did he spray inside the area? I'm just curious.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to raise this. I didn’t think he did, but couldn’t tell from montage of available video... which is why I didn’t raise it!

I think the lack of the foam spot allowed this to happen. And once he set the wall and the ball was a foot or two back from where it should be... why make a fuss? At least, that’s what I think happened. Could be wrong.

22. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    The ball was put in play, it rebounded off a defender, was handled by the attacking team, who spotted the ball yards behind the original spot. The referee didn’t stop play. This is all okay because no one complained? If Oliver had in fact stopped United the FIRST time they stopped a Villa fast free kick, he wouldn’t have been in the situation.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to whom?

It's hard to pick apart or rebut everything that comes after this clause, because I just simply disagree. Villa tried to take a quick free kick. A United player prevented him from doing so. Ergo, the ball was never put in play.

If Oliver wants to take a firm and aggressive approach at that point, intervening with a whistle, cautioning the United player in question, and making this a ceremonial restart, he would have been well within his rights as a referee to do so. But I know you've been watching the EPL for a long time... when does that actually happen at this level when it can be avoided?

He intervened quietly, if at all. Never made it a ceremonial restart. Villa regrouped quickly and restarted (the "yards behind the original spot" quote from you is a bit debatable but also somewhat of a red herring... was it truly taken from a spot that people didn't expect it from or that disadvantaged the defense unfairly? That's what matters. If it was 2 or 3 yards away but everyone understood what was happening, it really doesn't matter to the players.).

The point of a free kick is to allow an unmolested restart by the team it is awarded to. Oliver achieved that here with minimal intervention. If he had blown his whistle and got aggressively involved, yes, his hands are then tied. If this kick was truly taken "yards" away from an unacceptable spot, yes, you'd have to pull it back and make it ceremonial. But neither of those things happened. After a United player trying to cheat to stop a quick free kick, minimal referee intervention allowed the quick free kick to occur and a goal resulted. And no one complained. There's no problem here. Oliver didn't get himself in a situation. He got himself out of one with excellent refereeing that everyone accepted.

24. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Villa plays fast. United at EVERY opportunity blocked quick restarts. Finally, the Villa player had had enough and took the free kick quickly into the United player. He then raised his hands to Oliver to say “cmon”. His teammate CAUGHT the live ball. Put it back down and took another free kick. At some point in the match, Oliver needed to stop the statue.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But this isn't true. The ball was never in play because not one of the 23 humans on the field thought for a milisecond this was going to count as a real free kick. There reaches a point where the practical has to trump the theoretical. This is a clear case. I've seen people in several referee groups and fora have a problem with this restart situation... yet no one on the field did. That should tell us everything. No one ever thought this was a "live ball." The only question was whether Oliver slams on the whistle, asserts himself, issues a caution and goes to a ceremonial restart or... does what he did. Both avenues have virtues and both avenues can be the best option in different situations. I envisage a slightly different situation that would require Oliver to make this ceremonial and go the caution route. But I think he had more than enough leeway here to do what he did.

Regardless, to say this was a "live ball" and that the ball was ever in play off the first kick? No one involved in the game ever believed or thought that. So neither should we.

Maybe. I can't speak to the rest of the game and whether or not earlier/more intervention would have been good or bad. But in this particular case... what does Villa want more?

Oliver "stopping the statue" with a yellow card and a ceremonial restart?

Or Oliver "stopping the statue" but not rewarding it and allow a quick restart that leads to a goal?

I find it impossible to debate this scenario without acknowledging that any other decision from Oliver--aside from the one he actually took--would benefit the defending team and reward misconduct from one of its players.