2019 WWC Refereeing

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by lil_one, Dec 22, 2017.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fell off posting the assignments due to travel, but back to post the QF assignments and also bumping this thread for possible discussion on who gets the final.

Norway-England
    Referee: Lucila VENEGAS (MEX)
    AR 1: Mayte CHAVEZ (MEX)
    AR 2: Enedina CAUDILLO (MEX)
    4O: Katalin KULCSAR (HUN)
    VAR: Massimiliano IRRATI (ITA)

Italy-Netherlands
    Ref: Claudia UMPIERREZ (URU)
    AR 1: Luciana MASCARANA (URU)
    AR 2: Monica AMBOYA (ECU)
    4O: Liang QIN (CHN)

Germany-Sweden
    Ref: Stéphanie FRAPPART (FRA)
    AR 1: Manuela NICOLOSI (FRA)
    AR 2: Michelle O’NEILL (IRL)
    4O: Melissa BORJAS (HON)

France-USA

Ref: Kateryna MONZUL (UKR)
    AR1: Maryna STRILETSKA (UKR)
    AR 2: Oleksandra ARDASHEVA (UKR)
    4O: Kate JACEWICZ (AUS)
    VAR: Danny MAKKELIE (NED)

For discussion of who gets the final, below is the list of the referees that have been asked to stay for the rest of the knockouts. The rest have been sent home. (Steinhaus was sent home as she is injured.)
    JACEWICZ Kate
    ALVES BATISTA Edina
    BEAUDOIN Marie-Soleil
    QIN Liang
    FRAPPART Stephanie
    BORJAS Melissa
    KULCSAR Katalin
    VENEGAS Lucila
    PUSTOVOITOVA Anastasia
    MONZUL Kateryna
    UMPIERREZ Claudia

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Who gets the final, in your opinion? (Of course it can depend on the teams involved in it).

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If she doesn't screw up in the QF match, I think Umpierrez gets the final. If the US doesn't make it, and its an all-European final, I think it'll go to Monzul or Kulcsar. But Monzul had the last final, so I don't know if they'd give her a second. I think Pustovoitova will get one of the semi's and the other will go to one of the CONCACAF refs (Beaudoin?). Also I'm frequently wrong on predictions. :D

Also with the US possibly not making the final, I think its really unfortunate that Chenard was not able to make this WWC since she surely had a good shot at the final. (Her cancer is terrible in any case, but the timing of it is also unfortunate for her refereeing career.) But Seitz also faced the same issue of being from the same federation as the team that almost always made the final.

blissett repped this.
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    It's Frappart or Umpierrez

blissett repped this.
  5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hesitation on Frappart is first that she's from France (so can't do the game if France is in it) and also it is quite unusual to get the final without first having another knockout round game, at least in a tournament where there is a Round of 16 and quarterfinal stage (so the "rule" has held true for the 2015 WWC and holds true for the MWC). When there was no Round of 16, the referee that got the final sometimes also had a quarterfinal game, but sometimes was held out for the final. But I could see her being used for an all-UEFA, France-less semifinal. Watch me be wrong in this case though...

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've always quite liked Lucila Venegas, although I am aware she's not very high-profile: she directed a lot at international youth level, but I guess an Olympic semifinal was her best achievement so far.

Of course, same confederation issues would prevent her from refereeing a semifinal or final match with USA involved, but France should take care of that today. :giggle:

7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A CONCACAF referee, such as Venegas or Beaudoin, could get the third place game though. Since the USA will be in the final... :D

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  8. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With quarters done, I'm going to say Frappart now has a real shot at the final, which would be a nice nod to the host country, but I'd still love to see Umpierrez as I think she's earned it.

9. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I bet this pick Frappart now.

10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA-England semifinal:
    Referee: Edina ALVES BATISTA (BRA)
    AR 1: Neuza BACK (BRA)
    AR 2: Tatiane SACILOTTI (BRA)
    4O: Melissa BORJAS (HON)

Wow! I wasn't expecting that one.

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess her last match had been Italy-China? Her direction had left me quite unimpressed in that one.

kolabear repped this.
  12. MiLLeNNiuM

MiLLeNNiuM Member+

Aug 28, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She does men's games in Brazil, no?

13. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate this appointment. Yet I think it'll probably work out alright. Alves Batista's foul recognition on minor things - what's a foul/what's incidental contact/what's falling down from simply being off-balance - is very good. What she was very bad at - dealing with negative, cynical play from a negative, cynical team like China - is unlikely to be a problem with the four remaining teams.

I had a lot to say about it in the Referee Forum. I won't repeat it all here but if anyone wants to weigh in here rather than in the Ref Forum, I'm curious about what others think.

blissett repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd semifinal: Netherlands-Sweden

Ref: Marie-Soleil BEAUDOIN (CAN)
    AR 1: Princess BROWN (JAM)
    AR 2: Stephanie YEE SING (JAM)
    4O: Kateryna MONZUL (UKR)

Yay! I got one of the semis right!

kolabear, blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  15. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another referee who officiated a China match! At the time I was somewhat critical of Beaudoin for not adequately dealing with China's cynical play but I noted the difficulty of her position. She must've felt she was doing enough. She handed out FOUR yellow cards to China, whereas Alves Batista handed out ONE, in TWO MATCHES no less.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    (Taking this over to the ref thread)
    It's interesting to me how different the application of VAR has been here in France this year versus over in Russia last year... I think someone may have posted already, (maybe over in the ref forum which I haven't checked,) but I'd be interested to see what, if any, differences there were in the instructions given to the WWC refs versus the MWC refs on when and how to use VAR. I certainly don't remember seeing stoppages this long, this frequent, and this minutiae-able last year. After last year, I liked VAR; this year, it's certainly a bit more abrasive.

kolabear, soccernutter and blissett repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    In France men ref's in VAR room have almost no experience with women's game (3rd women ref have exp. but her job is to check offsides mostly) and women ref's on the pitch have little experience with VAR.

In Russia ref's in VAR room and those on the pitch had lots of experience working together as well as with VAR tool.
    Other thing is that in Russia referees didn't use VAR as often.... or rather waived the VAR help trusting their own calls more.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd place game: England-Sweden

R: Anastasia PUSTOVOYTOVA (RUS)
    AR 1: Ekaterina KUROCHKINA (RUS)
    AR 2: Petruta IUGULESCU (ROU)
    4O: Kate JACEWICZ (AUS)
    VAR: Felix ZWAYER (GER)

I thought she would one of the semis, and instead they held her for the 3rd place game, which is interesting. Deserved assignment, but still interesting.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She has done some Serie B matches and recently did at least one Serie A match in Brazil. She's also reffed international women's games. Also interestingly, Alves Batista was first a FIFA Assistant Referee, and then decided she wanted to switch and become a referee. So she's done both paths, which is very unusual.

blissett and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final:

Ref: Stéphanie FRAPPART (FRA)
    ARef 1: Manuela NICOLOSI (FRA)
    ARef 2: Michelle O’NEILL (IRL)
    4th. Off: Claudia UMPIERREZ (URU)
    VAR: Carlos DEL CERRO (ESP)

Those who called Frappart got it right! A nice nod to the host country, and Umpierrez gets the 4th.

21. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2019 WWC refereeing stats:

Referee who did the most matches as a center: 3 referees tied with 4 matches apiece: Frappart, Alves Batista, and Beaudoin
    Number of YC's awarded: 128 (average of 2.46 per game)
    Number of RC's awarded: 1 directly, 2 more were from a 2nd caution
    Highest number of fouls called in a game: 39 in Australia-Italy group stage match (SF of Netherlands-Sweden was a close runner-up with 38)
    Lowest number of fouls called in a game: 10 in the USA-Thailand group stage match
    Avg. number of fouls called in a game: 20.5

22. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you nostalgic for those PK / VAR reviews...

Since GK came off his line, this should be retaken. And in the World Cup, of course, the GK would've received an automatic yellow card. It's not like FIFA and the old men at IFAB are ruining the game. Oh, no, not at all.

blissett repped this.
  23. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These never got posted: FIFA's refereeing stats are much more involved than mine, including lots of stats on VAR: https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/zeghumlzve8t7pppcw8m.pdf

The big stats for VAR: 535 checks, 33 reviews, and correct decisions increased from 93% to 98.5%. 58 seconds was the average time delayed by VAR (checks and reviews).

blissett repped this.
  24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #74 Lechus7, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    8 final decissions made wrong (including at least 2 penalty kicks - from quick look at stats).
    One would think it not so bad - that is only1,5% of all 535 incidents checked...unless you look at them individually:
    Wrong PK call that closed the door to advance for Japan (vs. Netherlands).
    Wrong PK call on Korea (vs. Norway the 2nd one) affected the final score
    and probably Australia (vs. Norway) handball and foul no-calls which should be called in favor of the Matildas

kolabear, sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Collina gave a talk alongside Seitz at the conference on Sunday outlining preparation etc... no questions from the crowd unlike the one in June when journos attacked most of the decision in the tournament lol

blissett repped this.