2019 WWC Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by lil_one, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Not totally unexpected the way Final appointments are done in the secondary tournaments.

PH

2. :cautious:
    You know....The House of Orange and our national team colour originates from the town L'Orange about 200 km south of Lyon...
    Mmmm....makes you think....Orange home match...home referee...mmm:)

3. The orange colour we have as our national symbol originated from a little town, about 200 km south of Lyon.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange,_Vaucluse
    Prince Willem van Nassau inherited the title Prince of Orange, hence the link with the colour as a national colour.
    [​IMG]

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thankfully the assognors have stopped caring about stuff like this. It used to stop the better ref from getting a big game.

5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we are grateful, because that orange is an amazing color at events.

6. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Not just soccer either, in Formula 1 there are amazing groups of orange clad supporters that follow and support a single top tier driver, Max Verstappen.

RefIADad repped this.
  7. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Who is actually Belgian, but that’s a conversation for a different forum :)

Ismitje and roby repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve watched speed skating events where the Dutch have filled the arena. It’s amazing to witness.

My college alma mater has orange as a color, so I’m definitely partial to the Dutch in a lot of cases.

9. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Is that the first goal called back in the WWC for a non-deliberate hand ball offense?

10. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I once had the misfortune of attending a gridiron football game at Clemson. My eyes bled for several days. :cool:

Ismitje repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second, I think. But the first one people believe it might have instead been a foul on the goalkeeper.

oxwof repped this.
  12. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Egad. Another awfully, unnecessarily delayed OS flag. you know the delay is ridiculous when the striker slows because she knows she's off and then restarts because the flag isn't up.

13. wguynes

wguynes Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Altoona, IA
    I know what you're saying, but somehow I can't get past my teachings that the flag signal isn't intended for the player. It never was.

Translated into coach [the language]: "Play the *&@(*&R# whistle!"

DefRef, IASocFan and roby repped this.
  14. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    "Max Emilian Verstappen is a Belgian-Dutch racing driver who competes under the Dutch flag in Formula One with Red Bull Racing"

"... his father, Jos Verstappen, is a Dutch former Formula One driver ..."
    "Although Verstappen resided in Bree, Belgium, he decided to compete with a Dutch racing licence because he "feels more Dutch""

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Verstappen

15. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    And we will have to wait for Phil Neville's post match comments to find out if it was the correct call?

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before today's game, FIFA says there were 31 times (0.62 per game) VAR was used (including on-field and off-field), and the call was changed 27 times. To compare, about 54 percent of the way through the MLB season, Baseball-Reference says MLB had 599 challenges in 1,314 games, which is 0.456 per game. That does not include when the umpires chose to review a play.

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Didn’t watch the game as I’m out of town. But reading the game day thread on SWE:ENG, people are complaining about the England goal being called back for handling.

It looks pretty clear to me.
    [​IMG]
    What am I missing?

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key words being "England" and "handling".

It's clear cut under the new laws. Even if Brits still don't like it.

19. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    It hit her arm and led to a goal. That’s now all it takes. Welcome to the new reality.

The referee pantomimed intentional handling so that might have been the call, but intentionality isn’t required.

20. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly thought it was clear cut under the old laws, presuming the referee team catches it. The last angle from behind basically showed she propelled the ball forward with her running motion. She got stuck with the ball in a bad spot, but the only reason she was able to score was because a clear movement of her arm put the ball in the right spot. That’s a big step past “incidental contact” or whatever we are calling the non-deliberate attacking handling that is now an offence.

It’s academic. But I think a UCL VAR would have called that in the spring.

Lloyd Heilbrunn and oxwof repped this.
  21. If her arm wasnot there, she still would have the ball going into the right direction to score as it would have bounced from the Swedish player in the direction she was heading.
    I would like to see it extended to defenders too. Any handling is a penalty. No fuzzy anything anymore.

22. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Now that's a new one! She should have told the ref. :)

23. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, now I understand what White is gesturing about. She's not saying the ball touched her body instead of her arm; she's saying the ball bounced off the Swedish defender's (Sembrant's) stomach.

Naturally (as I always do tee-hee!) I defer to the referees if this is handling regardless, under either the new laws or the old ones, but it does seem silly to me that this is absolutely, unconditionally, handling when it bounces off a defender like that.

I have problems also about it being automatic handling when players are jostling for position like this, but the ball coming off the defender now makes this really seem contrary to common-sense

Thanks for posting the clip

24. I would have nullified the goal anyway, while she wasnot handling the ball but handling the player. If you look closely you see she's pushing with her arm the Swedish player, the ball bounces up against the Swedish and she pulls her arm away from the ball. Because of her shoving she got the ball, so no goal.

25. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hard for "me" to tell from that video. When I can't decide I go with the ref.