2019 WWC Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by lil_one, Dec 3, 2018.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Who is with me in making dribbling the ball to the corner while leading a form of USB?:rolleyes:

kayakhorn and Iforgotwhat8wasfor repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    White may not be a great option, but gray could be. You could wear it when a team wears white or when you have red vs black, yellow vs dark green, or like today’s game.

My son’s basketball team changed its dark uniform from navy to gray last winter. They only wore their white one time all year, as they wore gray against everyone else. No one else wore gray.

If we could wear gray and pink, we would avoid a lot of color clashes IMHO.

3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've got to think about television. White and grey aren't going to fly in most cases, unless it's a very dark grey. And, at that point, you start to get questions about clashing with black or navy blue.

4. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This match was such a snoozer we have 2 pages of alternate kit colors. :ROFLMAO:

rh89, Bubba Atlanta and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  5. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Cuz she did a pretty good job, gave cards when she had to and there were not many KMI's. Easy night for VAR too.

6. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    What about the foul on Hurtig in the box? That’s a huge call to miss.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which of the three gets it? I'm still going with Umpierrez.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    I would assume Pustovoitova is out given what she said in the video about the Netherlands. I'm also leaning towards Umpierrez -- she gives confederational neutrality, and USA knocked France out. These factors are not deal breakers for Frappart, but they do work in favor of the Uruguayan.

9. She would be a superb choice.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. That's not a Dutch foul. Hurtig is the onekicking the Dutch incoming foot.

13. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    If so why didn't VAR call it. I watched it in real time and then the replay and didn't think much of it. The CR didn't either and Signore Iratti probably didn't either.

15. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    It looks to me like she comes over and around the Swedish player’s leg.

16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty close to the color my son’s team wears. TV might be tough to tell between this gray and white, depending on the size and resolution.
    upload_2019-7-3_17-16-28.jpeg

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m speechless.

18. I sometimes have that effect;)
    However a bunch of referees on the pitch and the VAR room agree with me I guess.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1744 MassachusettsRef, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Look, it’s definitely supposed to be a foul. The Netherlands lucked out here. If that was given as a foul, it would take 15 seconds for the VAR to say “check complete” and we would have had the penalty.

But this is, yet again, a prime example of the limitations of the VAR system. No one has ever said that the goal is to make sure all identifiable defensive fouls are called as penalties. As others have pointed out, that could result in 3+ penalties a match. The question of whether a decision is clearly wrong when it relates to penalties is probably more subjective than the awarding of penalties in real-time. We could spend pages on this subject—and we have, over the last three years—but there’s some point between “yes, that’s a foul” and “oh my god how can you not call that?” where the VAR threshold for intervention gets triggered. I don’t know how to explain where that is because it seems different for every competition and then slightly different among referees within competition.

Is it clearly wrong not to call this? Or would calling this via replay amount to “re-refereeing?”

I don’t know.

But the non-call in the first place means the Dutch got lucky. This could easily have gone the other way.

socal lurker, IASocFan, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  20. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    The Dutch player doesn’t appear to contact the ball. The Swedish player seems to have the position advantage. The Dutch player seems to not only make contact with Hurtig’s leg but undercuts her as she slides in as well. Even in real time it looked like a risky tackle.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. No they did not. Let’s stop this before it gets out of hand.

The referee missed the call.

The VAR determined that the miss didn’t amount to a clear error.

You suggested the foul was the opposite of reality and that the victim was the aggressor.

22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to know the communication that sent it down the clear and obvious error path compared to the likely missed incident path of the PK in the ENG-USA match.

kolabear and MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    It definitely was risky, but that looked like a clean tackle to me in real time. Possibly add in the fact that I thought the Dutch were very good with their challenges inside the box outside of that, and I can understand why that wasn't called. The Dutch definitely lucked out there though.

24. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    Now hold on, there are no grounds for saying the ref missed the call, rather than chose not to make it.

25. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    I also think this is a foul but I can see how it was missed in real time.

In the first close up replay it does look like the Sweedish player initiated the contact at least as much as the Dutch player did, and it would not be clear (at full speed at least) that the Dutch player doesn't touch the ball. The second closeup angle is more revealing, we can see the space between the players and can see the Dutch player did not get any ball. If you look at where the ref was though her angle was much closer to the first one. From where she was I can see why it wasn't called.