2019 WWC Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by lil_one, Dec 3, 2018.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Zoomed in camera angle shows the entire lower leg of the player is offside*

"I don't think it's offside. It's a bad call."

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

JasonMa, pikuchan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no right to a response.

And I am mocking you. I want to know how you function daily without having things that are patently obvious defined to you in writing.

This is not abusive. I’ll define the term if it will help.

I tried to answer your questions four times. It’s clear there is no answer that will satisfy you.

3. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    But...a protest at this point would upset the organizational schedule, including TV rights, I would assume.

4. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but a referee absolutely can instruct a player to put a ball back into play.

Let's say a player is holding the ball for a throw in, but refuses to throw it. Are you saying the referee has no mechanism to get them to do so?

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protests are only allowed for misapplications of the law. For example, awarding a penalty kick for the backpass today.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly disagree. She looks to see where she is. She then faces forward and looks at the referee. And spits.

She knows 100% where the opponent is and how close she is. Why spit at that moment? We shouldn’t bury our heads in the sand here.

Now if you want to tell me it’s difficult to catch, I agree completely. But she had the context clues and the tool to get it right.

And even one wrong red combined with one VAR reversal is enough to fail a match in the sense that most of us are used to. Though you don’t “fail” per se at a tournament like this.

jasonakramer repped this.
  7. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    "...I am mocking you..." followed by abusiive mis-statements about my participation in this thread.

Who watches the watchers?.

duality72 and sitruc repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AR?

We need to stop pitching everything to the VAR. He’s not there to referee the match.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I’m going to give the VAR a break as well. I’m ok with yellow. Red would have been justified, but that didn’t look like she swung her elbow with intent to strike. Seemed reckless.

I know she CAN give a red, and some will say she could have, but we still have human beings looking at the video. A red card in the 4th minute of a World Cup knockout game with an already lopsided matchup is something isn’t something they’re going to rush to do.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You asked questions and we both answered them. For some reason you refused to accept those answers. I'm not sure what else to do at this point except move on to the France/Brazil match.

11. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    It appears at this point that the correct answer to my original question about whether the captain is defined in the LOTG is "No". I am reading between the lines here because no one has directly admitted that.

12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Seems to me that this entire thread has deteriorated just like the match did.
    Some people have clearly lost the plot with all the issues with VR overall and in this match in particular.

PH

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it's defined in common sense, but sure it's not strictly defined in the LOTG. But IMO it doesn't need to be since the captain AND I QUOTE - "has no special status or privileges".

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m going to try to exercise discretion here by no longer directly engaging.

But I have to point out a great irony now that a protest has been raised after the captain discussion.

For a protest to be valid at the FIFA level, it MUST be lodged on-field before the restart of play by the captain. The one with the armband.

Any post-match protest that is not a follow-up to an in-match captain’s protest is technically invalid.

kolabear repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, it was her trailing foot as she was coming back up the field away from goal to get onside.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Us assistant referee geeks call it a "reverse flash-lag" decision. When it's a defender stepping up, you need to remind yourself that the flash lag effect combined with the trailing leg usually keeps the attacker onside. In this case it was reversed. The flash lag effect and the trailing leg of the attacker likely means she was offside.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Random thought - If the referee went over to do an OFR after the Cameroon goal, would it have helped with match control? Obviously it's impossible to know for sure, but it seems like the "invisible man in my ear says no goal" did not help the situation much.

18. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    That's what my common sense said also - nothing special in the laws about the captain. It has always been a thing internal to the team and/or coach - who is the captain, how many there are, whether the player being subbed in for the captain gets the armband or does it go to someone else.

My question arose when someone suggested carding the captain for an action by the whole team. Is that allowed? If so, who is it?

duality72 repped this.
  19. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do we red card this guy? It's pretty clear he's trolling without wanting to add anything substantive to the discussion.

20. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Pretty clear? I have said nothing untrue (to my knowledge) about any posters here, I have not made unwarranted accusations about other posters' motives here, and I have not deliberately mocked and insulted anyone in this thread.

duality72 repped this.
  21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way, too logical. :)

Increasing cautions and sendoffs for cynical and dirty play would increase the number of goals in two ways (not that anyone on here except for maybe someone like espola wouldn't be able to understand it, but anyway . . .)
    1. The increased threat of cards for cautions and sendoffs would reduce dirty play, allowing skillful players to work more freely and make better plays.
    2. If said cynical/dirty play does continue, more skilled teams are playing 11 v 10 or 11 v 9 against teams looking to hack and destroy. More open space and fewer defenders = more goals.
    Seems reasonable enough, but FIFA apparently wants to keep games 11 v 11 at all costs.

22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've deleted the last few posts. Please end the captain discussion now and move on to other subjects. Continuation of this topic will lead to further sanctions.

kolabear and JasonMa repped this.
  23. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    How about that passback discussion that went nowhere?

24. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    ITOOTR. I raised the question of "not a kick." It was answered. I'll say I wouldn't call it at U12, despite calling more than most. I wouldn't have called it here, but can't fault a ref that does.

25. David Pratt

David Pratt New Member

Glasgow
    Scotland
    Jun 14, 2019
    footyref1 repped this.