2019 WWC Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by lil_one, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I meant to say "completely enforced", and I haven't watched any of Canada's matches this World Cup. I guess I just questioned if some of the players who went to the regular touchline point were really closer to that sideline. I guess they either were, or they were close enough.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    i Suspect he referee takes into account whether it is time wasting. Horan went to the midfield stripe, but she sprinted off.

3. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Considering pretty much the whole point of this new rule seems to be to combat time wasting, that's fair.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So here’s an observation I’ll put here instead of the match thread, because it has tournament wide implications (and future implications).

The Chilean goalkeeper was almost certainly off the line early with both feet on the penalty miss. In this new era, where this is subject to VAR, I believe this should have been a retake.

So either the VAR determined the keeper didn’t leave early (can anyone prove that?) or the standard for a miss is going to be different than a save, which, you know, is a distinction that doesn’t exist in the Laws themselves. So that would be fun.

sitruc, blissett, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I wondered about that, but couldn’t go back the way I was watching. While I think that distinction is consistent with how many (most?) refs have historically applied the law (greater tolerance on a miss than on a save), it’s much harder to square I with applying VR standards.

6. David Pratt

David Pratt New Member

Glasgow
    Scotland
    Jun 14, 2019
    Horan's yellow in the 23rd minute was given for persistent infringement, I believe. Horan had fouled in minutes 1, 7, and 23, and complained to the referee in minute 15 that an opponent had pulled on her shirt while the US was having a free kick into the box. I could not tell whether Horan complained about the foul call in the 23rd minute as the the telecast intercut an earlier scene from the game in the immediate aftermath of the foul.
    I agree that Pugh should have seen a yellow card.

7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Italy - Brazil
    • Referee:
      Lucila VENEGAS (MEX)
    • Assistant Referee 1:
      Mayte CHAVEZ (MEX)
    • Assistant Referee 2:
      Enedina CAUDILLO (MEX)
    • Fourth official:
      Ekaterina KOROLEVA (USA)
    • Video Assistant Referee:
      Carlos DEL CERRO GRANDE (ESP)
    • Reserve referee:
      Mary NJOROGE (KEN)
    • Assistant Video Assistant Referee 1:
      Luciana MASCARANA (URU)
    • Assistant Video Assistant Referee 2:
      Tiago MARTINS (POR)
    Jamaica - Australia
    • Referee:
      Katalin KULCSAR (HUN)
    • Assistant Referee 1:
      Katalin TOROK (HUN)
    • Assistant Referee 2:
      Sanja RODAK (CRO)
    • Fourth official:
      Jana ADAMKOVA (CZE)
    • Video Assistant Referee:
      Jose Maria SANCHEZ (ESP)
    • Reserve referee:
      Maria SUKENIKOVA (SVK)
    • Assistant Video Assistant Referee 1:
      Sian MASSEY (ENG)
    • Assistant Video Assistant Referee 2:
      Mohammed Abdulla MOHAMMED (UAE)
    Two Spanish VARs in action on the same day.

8. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yup, she was off. She hopped forward before the kick. If you watch the replay, she hops even before the sound of the kick.

9. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    That’s because they were in Los Angeles.

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    My memory might not be great, but weren't the Dutch men's team involved in two of the dirtiest and most violent matches in World Cup history? In 2006 and 2010? No one should have to play the Dutch unless they have to.

If you want to call players thugs, Mark Van Bommel and Nigel De Jong were the classic examples.

Your comments are bordering on racist and xenophobic and frankly absurd.

The Cameroon team in 1990 where the kicked Maradona and Caniga off the pitch were absurd and dangerous in their tackles, but the actions of that team needs to stop following and stereotyping every Cameroon and African team since.

11. You're right about those Orange incidents, as I in this post mentioned. However I donot label all African teams as such like the Cameroun team, as can be read in this post too.
    What I pointed at was the MO of Cameroun. You mention 1990. However at any WC Cameroun is present they play with malice. Do you remember 1998 against Chili? I'm sure any Chili fan will support my opinion. IIrc Cameroun in 1998 ended with 9 men against Chile.
    Have you forgotten the Brasil match in the USA in 1994, in which they mowed down the Brasilians which only resulted in one red? Do you remember the match against Croatia in 2014 with again a red card?
    So it's not that 1990 issue that's haunting them, but the MO repeated in later WC's, plus the "friendlies"we played against them. And no, I'm not looking at other African nations with the Cameroun team in mind. Wonder where you get that from? Can you give me a quote that triggers that?

12. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Bommel and De Jong were classic examples, but they weren't typical examples.

I've rooted for Holland since the early 1970s, but I rooted against them in the 2010 final. I hated the idea of Van Bommel and De Jong getting to hoist a trophy that Cruyff, Van Basten and Bergkamp never did.

roby repped this.
  13. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    2010 :mad:
    Was at a bar with my son and a large group to watch with at least 80% favoring Holland. By half time it was 5%. I was crushed in '90 when Rijkaard got that stupid red card against Germany.

14. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    2006 was Portugal vs Netherlands in the round of 16. Four red and 16 yellow cards in total.

15. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    In the 7th minute, Norway trying to break in a counter and the player with the ball is pulled back but she manages to play the ball forward to a forward. The referee then gives advantage as the forward collects the ball back to goal, 30 yards from goal, surrounded by 2 defenders (already not a great advantage). That forward is then flagged for offside and play is stopped and play restarts with the offside. Probably should have been the original foul since advantage wasn’t really there.

kolabear repped this.
  16. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Will VAR rules eventually allow undoing an advantage decision?

17. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope not. That would add even more stoppages and disrupt the flow of the game more than VAR currently does.

blissett repped this.
  18. Evenly distributed and the reds were all double yellows, 2 for Portugal and two for the Orange team. Funny though was that (much) later the players of both teams claimed it looked worse than it really was. Well, I've been watching another match then as that wasnot what I saw.

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    According to referee Valentin Ivanov: "The most surprising thing is that as soon as the match ended, the players calmed down as if nothing had happened. I blew the final whistle and there was silence. Show's over, thanks for coming! All the players were completely calm and nobody had any complaints. Even the players I had sent off were calm. Another surprise for me was when I chatted to fans in the airport on the way home. Can you believe that many of them enjoyed the game, in spite of the violence, and they were disappointed it didn't go to extra-time?"

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ivanov-it-was-the-toughest-match-of-my-career-2804841

20. Well, beauty and ugliness are in the eyes of the beholder this proves again.

21. Seems that toughest match of his career was just another day at the office for the players:confused:

jarbitro and kolabear repped this.
  22. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So, Nigerian GK called for encroachment with her one heel about 2" off the line... on a miss.

So, there's one called back on a miss.

With that, the one the other day really stands out as a VAR miss.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sport is being ruined.

24. Pelican86

Pelican86 Member

United States
    Jun 13, 2019
    I don't even think her heel was 2" off. I think it was less than that.

blissett, YoungRef87 and JasonMa repped this.
  25. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least in the NGA-FRA game, the officiating crew (and VAR) took a strict line on keeper movement. The Nigerian keeper was definitely off her line, but it definitely was not by much. As long as the enforcement is consistent, I'm OK with calling this (but I do wish this was not a caution - the retake of a missed penalty should be sufficient punishment).

espola repped this.