2019 Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My significant other and I were watching the fox coverage post the first game and the way they talked about South Africa and Nigeria was sort of cringe worthy. They treated them like the mens coverage for Tahiti in the Confed Cup.

sitruc repped this.
  2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to completely disagree with this. Watching that replay, there certainly is an argument to be made that she left her cleat out in a deliberate attempt to get a piece of the attacker. No question. But there is just as credible of an argument to be made that it was completely accidental on her follow-through. And if you are going to award a penalty, a second yellow card and a red card in a World Cup match via VAR, I would like it to be for a play that’s a lot less questionable. To me, that’s not “clear and obvious“.

Then again, the rules expert, the VAR and the referee all thought it was a foul, so what the hell do I know.

3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Go outside with a ball and clear it like the South African player did. You don't keep your leg just hanging there unless you actively try to. The weird part of the clearance is that there basically wasn't a follow-through.

Regardless of whether there's intent, it's dangerous play.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is an indirect kick, not a penalty.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Italy about to steal a victory from Australia. With a 95' goal. Aussies had been control and threatening the past 30 mins. Italy crosses the halfway line twice in that spell and threatens both times, gets the goal on a bad read by the keeper off a set piece.

sitruc repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Serious question: Did anyone else grow up having players positioned far outside the box awaiting the inevitable cleared ball off a corner kick? We called those 2 (typically) spots "garbage," because they'd be there to clean up what gets sent out.

I ask because I've noticed it a lot lately where corners get cleared and both teams end up with players chasing the ball, as if the attacking team is putting all their eggs in the original delivery. Seems counterintuitive to me given the volume of corners cleared. Am I simply a product of one, now out-dated strategy?

RafaLarios and Ismitje repped this.
  7. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Australia looking like they might take multiple Ls on the same day at World Cups in Europe.

At least they got the french open yesterday.

sitruc repped this.
  8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The thing now seems to be to having the defending team put more people up field to force the attacking team to keep more players behind as well. The way teams implement this seems to be leaving that part of the field open.

9. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

sitruc and Gamecock14 repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Holy crap. 41 year-old Formiga is on the field for Brazil. I thought I recognized her disagreeing with that yellow card. This is her seventh World Cup. She has made all six Olympic Women's Football Tournaments and is now in her 7th (of 8) women's World Cups. I guess she'll probably continue through next summer's Olympics. Unbelievable.

GunnerJacket and sitruc repped this.
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Cristiane with the first hat trick. All those folks concerned about Brazil missing Marta forgot who they were playing today.

sitruc repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Brazil have a selfishness problem. If they don't sort it out against better teams, they're not going deep. If they do, they'll be fine.

They're creating great breakaways, but missing pressed goals under tight pressure with completely unmarked teammates nearby.

Oddly they're fine when they build the attack. They pull Jamaica apart and make the pass. But when running up the gut they're not pulling the defense and finding the open player other than the second goal.

Having seen Jamaica up close, this should be a 6-0 or 12-0 game. And the chances have been there.

sitruc repped this.
  13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worked at a school of social work for seven years. I saw all the syllabi. They had a Social Action Day with different issues for students to pick. I never heard the term SJW.

It's one thing for the Women to want equal pay from the USSF, but if the USSF won't gave equal pay, the Women shouldn't complain to the Men. The USSF knows the the Men won't win a senior or youth World Cup anytime soon. The Women's World Cup is a chance at glory, and why would they throw that away by not using their best players? Morgan, Lloyd, and Rapinoe are among the most famous, but most of the roster are known by few enough people that excluding some players won't be talked about much, especially if they win.

Brazil won 3-0. Brazil had more shots on goal, 6 to 3. Jamaica did okay. Jamaica's Sydney Schneider saved a penalty kick at age 19.

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's quite the celebration for a penalty kick goal on a call that came after VAR.

Bill Archer, ArsenalMetro and Gamecock14 repped this.
  15. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Was about to say the same thing. I don't think she even earned the pk. That was bizarre.

sitruc repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, but it's also her first WC goal, and it came against Scotland. Celebrate away.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    An English goal happened.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    After hearing about the ticketing fiasco where people were buying tickets and the seats weren't together, I assumed much better attendance for games not including the US and France. Prior to this game (and bolstered largely by the opener), wiki has the average attendance at 19,449 with the low being Nigeria-Norway at 11,058 (21,029 listed capacity) and the high being France-South Korea with 45,261 (48,583). All of the games have had full sections empty. For this game, it doesn't appear that the upper level (third tier of seating) is open and there are several empty sections along with large empty blocks of seats. At least the seats look like they could be England fans. It's too bad Europeans don't appreciate soccer.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because the social work school wasn't the target - or the user - of the SJW insult.

AndyMead and sitruc repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Full time wasting allowed by the English player grabbing the ball after Scotland scored.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    UNC one-year legend Lucy Bronze - who couldn't have returned if she wanted to, as I'm unsure if she ever actually attended class.

sitruc repped this.
  22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And suddenly those two goals correctly waived off for offside loom large as the sphincters get tight on the England bench.

23. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And by "term" you mean "pejorative". It's like calling things "politically correct" or "PC". It's meant to shut down conversation and discussion not start or continue it. It's an insult, and an act of aggression. It's tool of control.

24. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Why won't they give yellows to players who dive on ball after an opponent scores so they can't take it to the center circle? It is one of the most petulant things soccer players do.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That's it for today...