2019 Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Jun 4, 2019.

1. MinuteWaltZ

MinuteWaltZ Member

Indy Eleven
    United States
    Apr 19, 2019
    A real possibility. However France seems to gamble more on defense than needed, so they may be vulnerable there.

While I’m in the group that’s a bit annoyed by the WNT recently, they’re still my national team, so I can’t root against them or get any schadenfreude from their failures.

TOAzer and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Are they playing “Roar” in its entirety before they kick off after goals? Might help in the mercy rule department...

sitruc repped this.
  3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as offside goes, I think the advent of VAR just makes it more likely that people will push for the Law to be rewritten to be more lenient to the attack.

Anyway, speaking of Laws being rewritten, there should have been a dropped ball there towards the end when the ball struck the referee and resulted in a change of possession. Didn't matter, but worth pointing out. Had Korea been able to score from it, I would have to assume the VAR would recommend it be disallowed.

4. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    wait, what?

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of several rule changes approved by IFAB, to be implemented at the start of the next competition after 1 June 2019 in whatever form that takes (so MLS waits until next March, La Liga until August, and the WWC now).

Summary of the changes here from IFAB.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/29/section/79/

New change to Law 9.

"The ball is out of play when:
    • it touches a match official, remains on the field of play and:
      • a team starts a promising attack or

• the ball goes directly into the goal or

• the team in possession of the ball changes
    In all these cases, play is restarted with a dropped ball."

Both of the bold criteria happened, definitely the latter.

7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Interesting. I knew about the Goal Kick rule but didn't know about this one.

Though the last time I was certified as an official "Goal kicks are no longer indirect" was the newest rule change, so it's been a while.

ManiacalClown repped this.
  8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Super fired up for this. Some of the phony righteous stuff the US Women pull annoys the crap out of me, it's makes it worse when they've convinced themselves it's authentic, and I hate that people casually buy it. They're not at all diverse enough and they come across as entitled princesses and most people don't get how advantaged they are competitively compared to the US Men's team, and given that advantage they still rely on brute athleticism too much rather than some kind of American jogo bonito. But they're AWESOME. I'm fired up to watch them play. It's entertaining soccer, and I want them to win the whole thing. They're great for our sport and they're great for humankind. And the women's game is getting better like, by the month.

Go USA!

Oh yeah, and FIFA making them play a World Cup on turf was total bullshit. But it's hardly out of line for FIFA to experiment with events, esp if they think there's a revenue ave to explore.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I love the jingoism that infects otherwise (supposedly) politically-enlightened American soccer fans every time there's an international tournament. It's only a game. :)

brandi and her bra.jpg

10. Any signs of change in this?
    Once you come across an opponent that makes you chase the ball Barcelona mode, you're done.

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Thailand game is on Tuesday.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  12. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    . . . During her time in the United States, Marta was a member of two of the best club teams in the history of women’s soccer. The roles she played in each of them showed off how complete a player she is.

On the 2010 FC Gold Pride squad, Marta was the unquestioned star and acted like it, scoring 19 goals in 24 matches en route to a WPS MVP award. A year later, her and FCGP teammate Christine Sinclair joined forces with Alex Morgan and Caroline Seger for a Western New York Flash side that looked more like an all-star team than a salary-capped organization. She was more unselfish with the Flash, scoring 10 fewer goals than the season prior, but was still the best player on a championship-winning squad . . .

14. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    If it were that simple, soccer would stop evolving. I see the men's game becoming more big, fast and vertical again, kinda obviously.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  15. It's more a matter of soccer philosophy, plus putting a team together that matches that philosophy.
    The time a certain style dominates other styles has more to do with the "failure" of finding the right players for your style.

16. MinuteWaltZ

MinuteWaltZ Member

Indy Eleven
    United States
    Apr 19, 2019
    You are correct. My mistake.

17. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Yeah I love it too, clearly. Love the World Cup, and enjoy it more than Champions League anyday. Yet I have no problem with the UN. Or reasonable local pride. Or the Gubmint. As far as personal cognitive dissonances go, this soccer/nationalism thing isn't real taxing.

18. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Hot take from someone who's way too arrogant and knows way too little about women's football to say this (didn't even watch today's game lol): France or England wins this WWC.

There. Said it.

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently it was Korea who hit the ref so possession didn't change, and in that position on the field, it's too doubtful to call it a promising attack.

I really thought it was France who kicked it. *shrug*

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    but America...

21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Are they using VAR to get the "correct" call rather than simply overturning obviously incorrect calls? If they need the virtual offside line to decide if someone is onside or not, then the call on the field isn't obviously incorrect no matter which way it goes.

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, they decided that an offside call has no objectivity to it. It's either offside or not offside.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But there are stylistic trends. Netherlands killed Tiki-Taka in Group Stages of the 2014 WC. The nail in the coffin for possession football officially died when Germany crashed out of the groups last year, getting picked apart by Mexico and South Korea on the counter. France didn't try to out-possess opponents and instead absorbed with sturdy defense and countered brutally. Liverpool, also, isn't a possession team. Teams are going to emulate those styles more, just as everyone was in awe of Tiki-Taka from '08-'14.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    What's the attendance expected to be like for games not involving France or the US? I was expecting a German invasion of France, but I see empty sections.