2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Mine would be the exact same as Susaeta exect i'll put Rennicks in the sold chance department

2. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Agree, but really question his mentality and willingness to put in a shift on both sides of the ball as a #8.

ielag repped this.
  3. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    I suppose it can come with time, but it is worrying. Theoretically, athletic mids like Adams and Mckennie can help cover for Mendez’s deficiencies. I really hope Alex comes good, his first half against Nigeria was dynamite, and his skills are so rare in our pool. People are lying if they say they don’t get a twinge of excitement if he gets the ball with a bit of time outside the 18 to unleash that left foot....

I question the move to Freiburg and Germany in general though. Bundesliga matches are frenetic AF, especially in midfield. Not sure that’s going to be the best use of Mendez’s strengths.....especially since Freiburg are likely to get out possessed in most of their matches.

gogorath repped this.
  4. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    But that could also be exactly what Alex needs to become a more well rounded player.

First he needs to work on his god awful conditioning.

gogorath and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    In general, Bundesliga clubs do a good job with physical development, conditioning, etc., so hopefully Mendez will be more effective after he has another season at Freiburg.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. It'll improve and the kid could be dynamite.
    Or it won't improve, and it'll impact his ceiling.

There have been plenty of technical youngsters at even an MLS level that didn't make it because they weren't good enough athletes. Lots of these at FCD, for instance. Bryan Leyva, Daniel Garcia, and company. Wouldn't you say that was the eventual issue with Jose Villarreal at the Galaxy?

Of course, I had no idea this was a problem for Mendez until watching these WC games. And he was great against Nigeria, and athletic and technical team. Our midfield dominated Nigeria in the first half. And they had two premier-league based midfielders (one who'd already debuted for Man City) and a Serie B player. So Mendez seemed fine then……………………….