2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody (Weah already made it); youth teams aren't how you earn 1st team call-ups against men. Maybe it's earned them a spot in olympic (qualifying) and if they perform well they can be promoted to the 1st team because it's an in-between level and they're playing against men. Otherwise their proving grounds for the senior national team will be with a club team in a respectable league.

I'd seriously consider Weah, Richards, Pomykal, Gloster, Soto, Rennicks, and Ochoa for the u-23's off their play with the u-20's. Araujo, Cerrillo, Mendez, McKenzie, and Dest may eventually prove useful. Kreis disclosed he'd be scouting this tourney extensively.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Hope each time we win a KO game they task Kreis with rebooking everyone's flight.

Smithsoccer1721 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    None have earned a USMNT call up, otherwise they wouldn't be on this roster. We have players who haven't earned USMNT call ups who aren't on this roster because of the lack of senior team depth.

I think Richards, Gloster and Soto will get consideration for best XI in the tournament.

4. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Pomykal if we’re talking solely of debutants. He’s already better than Trapp and Roldan.

Tom Collingsworth and Pegasus repped this.
  5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it’s very difficult to transpose u20 results to games vs adult professionals.

That being said, how do the three of them compare in MLS this season? What’s each players whoscored rating (just as a starting point)?

6. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pomykal: 7.29 (8 appearances)
    Roldan: 7.07 (15 appearances)
    Trapp: 6.68 (15 appearances)

7. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Thanks. Well, it looks like the OP has a point although whoscored isn’t the end-all be-all.

8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    You seem doubtful about Pomykal. He is more more dynamic and effective than Trapp and Roldan. You really should try to watch him with Dallas.

9. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    At this stage, the U20 World Cup roster looks to be a success for the following reasons.

- the outside back pairing may be the best in the tournament. Gloster and Dest are both legitimate weapons in attack, allowing a more dynamic flow in transition. They are weapons for the central midfielders to connect with and have the ability to put pressure on defenders, opening up space for forwards and wings.

- the midfield has been effective at collecting the ball and keeping the ball. Pomykal, Weah, Mendez, Ledezma, Servania, Durkin, etc...these guys work to retrieve the ball and work to keep it. They're also capable of making the killer play. With young teams like this, the more they play together the more comfortable they get with recognizing and exploiting player tendencies and strengths.

- the forwards do a decent job of taking their chances.

- they want to win.

- their coach has created a roster with clear roles and has brought in the right players for those roles. Mendez, Servania and Ledezma are the transition maestros. Pomykal is the possession maintainer, final third distributor and one of the first defenders. Gloster and Dest fly up the lines. Richards is the calm in the storm. Soto is the finisher. Weah does everything.

- a note on Tim Weah...it's clear that teams are trying to isolate Weah out of the US attack. What does Weah do? He doesn't float out of the game, he decides to do everything else...and oh yeah, still creates chances against multiple defenders. Weah is a cut above most players I have seen in this age group and should make the tournament best 11.

gogorath, The Jonald, Namdynamo and 2 others repped this.
  10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I've seen him a couple of times in MLS and I like what I see from him. I don't doubt that he has the ability to be a very good MLS/B2/Championship player as he improves.

My question with him is how does his athletic ability transfer when the game speeds up vs. stronger/smarter players. To that end, I'd like to see him with the USMNT and hope that he transfers to a better team/league quickly so we can suss out if his game translates. His game doesn't appear to be substantially worse than Trapp/Roldan at least one of whom Berhalter is building the team around.

11. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    I second this, and I would also say the same -- to an extent -- about KDLF. He has done a nice job of tracking back, etc. With all that said, Llanez should start instead of KDLF. He looks exhausted and lacking some confidence.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Biggest mistake in this roster is turning out to be bringing in one too many DMs and no other 8 to rotate with Pomykal. I have the feeling that Tab thinks Servania could play as 8 but the first game really made it obvious that is not the case. Right now, I would kill for a Cerrillo forma Anderson change. Even though cerillo should arguably be starting.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    If we the talent gaps with USMNT and who Berhalter has been playing, our biggest needs are wide defender and attackers. This puts Gloster, Dest, Weah, and Lllanez potentially having a shot sooner rather than later. If Behalter continues to want a non-defensive dmid, I think Mendez is better than Trapp at just about everything. Richards has been the most consistently impressive, but he has much more competition in front of him. Pomykal could prove to have the ability to move the ball to our attackers which might make moving CP wide an option. Soto has been very impressive but so was Sargent two years ago.

Hopefully this sorts itself out with the u23s. The younger guys that step into that side will likely be the ones to make it to the first team. The exception could be GK and CB.

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, Ramos replaced an injured attacker with a guy who plays a position he later decided to give to the guy who was ostensibly supposed to be starting at CB...

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Taking whether or not I agree with you out of this, he definitely doesn't play the same position as Trapp, and I don't think he plays the same position as Roldan, although I know some people disagree.

16. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    Servania has been deployed as an “8” every time out.

17. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    I don't think he was yesterday. He was the deepest between him, Pomykal and Ledezma. Pomykal and Ledezma did come deep at time to pick the ball up, but Servania played much more like a 6 against France than he did an 8.

I did like the fact that these 3 interchanged as much as they did. I really helped get them on the ball more often. That said, it left me nervous a couple of times when the middle looked wide open when we turned it over.

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he plays the same position that Roldan is playing at with the USMNT. Not that Roldan should be playing there, of course.

Anyways, just wanted to say that it's a pleasure being a fan of the U20s with everyone on this board, but now that mainstream USMNT fans are jumping on, I might have to become a Loudon United fan. Gotta keep my edge.

19. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't worry, this forum will be back to its dorky, mostly invisible self for a while after the U.S. run ends, however it ends. Maybe we'll pick up a new regular or two. I hope they know what they're in for, which is mostly spreadsheets and waiting around for roster releases.

20. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Looke like Sargent was left off squad so he could play a friendly with MLS scrubs.

21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You could certainly argue that Sargent hasn't "earned" a Gold Cup roster spot, but then you might wonder why he was with the MNT at all at a time when he could be establishing himself as a leader with a strong group of his peers. Amon's a different story, though of course also a discussion point.

These are certainly fair questions for Berhalter, and frankly I wonder what Ramos thinks.

There is a U23 camp that is apparently coming but, but hard to know what to expect from whatever group is ultimately chosen for that. And it's certainly not the same thing as competitive matches.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there was some speculation that Sargent didn't want to return to the U-20 team after playing on the team last cycle. If thats the case, he's allowed to make that choice, but the USMNT coach is also allowed to leave him off the roster. It's probably also deserved. I'm not saying I'm a fan of players such as Altidore, Zardes or Morris, but they are a lot more proven in professional football. Sargent hasn't yet gotten the minutes to prove himself. Any player could claim they are above U-20 level and only put themselves up for USMNT selection. I'm not going to fault a player for thinking that way, but as long as Berhalter viewed Morris as a 3rd forward alternative and wasn't going to take a lot of #9's, Sargent wasn't making the roster over Zardes or Altidore.

Amon had a better case for making the Gold Cup roster, IMO, due to a severe lack of winger depth and more first team playing time than Sargent, but he probably was only at the USMNT camp because he didn't make the U-20 roster and was already capped by the USMNT.

deejay repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I can honestly say that I'm way above the U-20 level - far, far above, sadly.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1524 Clint Eastwood, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Pomykal definitely doesn't play the same role as Roldan or Trapp.
    The whole "free 8" role he plays for Dallas allows him to push high into the offensive zone when the play dictates it.

Honestly, I don't know what the hell was going on last night. Holden trying to show me what the hell was supposed to be going on makes it worse. In that formation Pomykal would play in an advanced role with the likes of Roldan and Trapp behind him. Mihailovic role. But what the hell.......................
    1136399650557190145 is not a valid tweet id

For a me a player should be in a first team in order to get USMNT callups. A bunch of these U20s have made their first team debuts, so they should be under consideration. That game last night was hard to watch, but part of it wasn't the players' fault. Berhalter chose to use this meaningless game against jamaica to try formational experimentation. Which is fine. That's what meaningless friendlies are for. However, with the state of the US program........................I recognize the angst such a poor display generates.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I would guess 2 to 3 times. I originally felt bad about being left our of the recent camp, but considered myself lucky once I saw that line up.

Oh, Sargent isnt above this tournament.

Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.