2019 Season

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Val1, Aug 31, 2019.

1. socalsoccer23

socalsoccer23 Member

Jan 4, 2017

Try this:

http://woso-stats.ml/college/2019/composite_arpi

HeadSpun and Val1 repped this.
  2. HeadSpun

HeadSpun Member

Nov 14, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  3. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next year, simply change 2019 to 2020, in the link. That's what I do every year, and it's worked every year. If you want an excel spreadsheet with all the games, PM me and I'll send one to you.

HeadSpun repped this.
  4. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    What in the world is wrong with Texas!!!?? Blown out/shut out by a crappy Monmouth team! How?! Texas is loaded with talent and deep. This one really stumps me. (Maybe Kelly isn’t a good coach , they seem to underachieve consistently)

5. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Nearing the end of out-of-conference play, I'm looking at the overall picture of where the 2019 talent is in D-I women's soccer by conference. Answer: pretty much as expected.

As of this date, taking the adjusted rpi from AWK.s website here are the top 50 and the top 25 teams by conference representation.

TOP 50
    Teams - Conference
    11 - ACC
    10 - PAC 12
    8 - SEC
    5 - Big 10
    4 - WCC
    4 - Big East
    3 - Big 12
    2 - Conference USA
    2 - American Athletic
    1 - Ivy

TOP 25
    Teams - Conference

8 - ACC
    3 - PAC 12
    3 - SEC
    3 - Big 10
    2 - WCC
    2 - Big 12
    1 - Big East
    1 - Conference USA
    1 - American Athletic
    1 - Ivy

I find it interesting that the exact same conferences are represented in both the top 50 and top 25, as I would have guessed that the top 50 would have a few more mid-major conferences represented. (and equally interesting that the lists are almost the exact same order, save a Big East and Big 12 swap.)

I assume that these conference representations will shift in order as the remainder of the season goes by (eg Stanford will climb back up and some of the ACC schools will be lower, but is it fair to say that the top 50 and 25 group members will be pretty stable?

6. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that the numbers will go up for the Power 5 conferences and down for the others.

7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    What IS going on with Penn State? They started off the Big Ten season with a home loss to Michigan. It looks to me as though this year they stand a good chance of for the first time not ending up on top of the Big 10 if Rutgers remains strong.

On the other hand, with all of their talent, they will likely mount a comeback from the .500 season so far, and if not the regular season, they may take the Big 10 tournament and make a good run into the NCAAs.

8. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One other factor regarding Penn State and Rutgers: The Big 10 tournament semi-finals and championship, this year, will be at Rutgers.

9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    #34 Number007, Sep 20, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    I think that morale on that team is low. it is possible to over recruit. She has a team full of YNT "stars" and some of them do not play much. They also have a few injuries. The team seems to lack any real dynamic attacking talent.

I have been critical ( maybe overly) of the talent they brought in. I said that i did not see the level of talent others did, so i am not shocked. I do think they will improve, but i also stand by my comment that some of the players were a little overrated or perhaps not going to have an immediate impact in meaningful games at the level PSU play at. You have to be able to stand up physically and im not sure this group can yet. A year or two in a college program is going to benefit them physically if they stay the course.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/2019-penn-state.2091679/

10. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Well, I have seen them play UVa.

If morale is low.for the reasons you state, 007, then Coffey may be part of the problem. Except for her free kick and corner at the end of the game I wasn't too impressed. She's good, but if she just walked into the starting lineup that could cause unrest.

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Coaches have to be very careful of managing players expectations. Morale is an underrated intangible. Telling certain kids they are great or acting like they are can really impact the psyche of others.

Coffey is a good player, but she was a little oversold in my opinion. I also think Tagliaferri and Jean have not improved at the rate their credentials coming in to the school implied. You really need the juniors and seniors to set the tone for the rest. Schlegel is not your prototypical forward but has incredible timing on her jumping and a nose for goal. Like her a lot, but i dont think she anticipated being a striker at PSU. Canniff is not capable of leading a line at College level yet and is more of a 2nd striker anyways. Linnehan same. Its a big ask for a freshman.

So to my eyes, they need to find a way of being more threatening from open play. If they do that , they will be back.

ping repped this.