2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the late run gives some hope for next year, I don't think the team is capable of sustaining that kind of good form throughout an entire season, especially if a few key players get injured.

There is something genuinely positive we can build on here. We have a great opportunity to actually be good next year, and such chances are few and far between for this club. However, the FO/KSE have a proven track record of squandering, or even outright sabotaging, good opportunities.

The Rapids need to have a strong off-season. There is no room for them to screw it up, and they've already shot themselves in the foot by doing nothing in the summer window. We have to sign two quality DPs; one of which needs to be a forward and the other needs to be a creative player in the midfield that can unlock defenses. We also need to unload wasted salary so we can have some real depth on the squad. Smith is worth keeping next year, but his salary needs to be significantly reduced. White elephants like Danny Wilson need to be pushed out the door.

Being a playoff team next year is defiantly within reach... but that's in the hands of a competent and motivated organization. The jury is still out on whether our organization is either of those things, and we've been burned before when they've tried to convince us they're moving in a positive direction.

2. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hazard for midfield. Anything less will be considered a failure. :D

But seriously, with the Transamerica sponsorship ending do we need another "big name" so we don't end up with a MLM sponsor?

TheWarmBurger repped this.
  3. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Personally, and I know I probably sound like a broken record by now as I’ve think I’ve said several times on here already, I think we need a DP 10, and a big improvement on either our 6/8.

Don’t get me wrong, I like both Price and Acosta, but neither are a true 6 or 8. They both have their strong suits, but both leave a lot to be desired.

One of our best 8’s (in terms of on field impact) has probably been when Jermaine Jones was healthy. He was a beast. He got in to pretty much every play on the field that he could defensively and loved crashing forward on the opposing third.

We also haven’t really had a true 10 in a long while. Gashi was close, but he’s kinda become a curse word around here after the cliff dive his production took. We haven’t really had a Mitrita, Piatti, Giovinco, Pozuelo, etc., and for the last several years our main attacking capabilities have been on a quick counter fast break. I can’t think of anyone on our roster right now who is a true number 10 who can piece together play after play, pass after pass, etc.

My opinion has always been, if we can get a true number 6 or 8 to pair up with a DP level 10 - we’d be deadly.

We’ve got the speedy wingers. We’ve got two wing backs who can cover a lot of ground on offense, and 9 times out of 10 hold their own on defense. We’ve got a lot of good pieces in good places - hence why we got the 3rd most points in the league since our first win back in May.

We don’t have a box to box destroyer and we don’t have the playmaker mastermind.

Of course, this opinion changes slightly if Kamara retires or leaves the team this year. Shinyashiki and Rubio both provide good value on the field, but neither give us what Kamara gives us. If Kamara retires or goes to another team, then a DP 9 I think is in line.

Same with Abubakar. We don’t get him (within reason) then we also need to see about getting another TAM CB in the 500k range.

But if our roster doesn’t really lose any of its major pieces that we’ve had for the last year, then the two biggest acquisitions in my mind need to be an 8 (Box to box mid) and a 10. If you can’t get the 8, get that 6(d mid destroyer)

But no matter what...Get us a 10, and spend some money on him. We’ve got the pieces to go in place around a 10. Now go get one.

FtCollins repped this.
  4. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, now, Jason. No need to repine or throw shade or be a stick in the mud. Let me go out on a limb here: it isn't treesonous to branch out more, even if some of these puns leave people stumped. There's knot any need to try to stem growth on this board. Fir sure, some puns are pretty poplar, but as you saw, others could be spruced up a bit. We all know you wooden have it any other way. :D

JasonMa repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

COMtnGuy, TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  6. rapidogordo

rapidogordo Member

Mar 12, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    As with all things rapids related, our season came down to simple bad luck – imagine if Dallas would have had to play LAFC for the last game and we had Kansas City.

Completely different outcome-

But the team is looking great, I wish we could bottle what we have for next season.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next question is which players won't be here next season. My choices for the bus are Mezquida, Opare, Rwatubyaye, Sjoberg, Wilson, Wynne, and of course Howard. If the MLS list is accurate, that opens up three international slots. If the Rapids acquire a DP #9 and keep Kamara, then Niki Jackson is expendable.

8. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully career ending bad unless some pub team wants to hire a guy.

11. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    His narrative that he didn't have players and therefore is a good coach just doesn't hold water. Anyone who does any amount of due diligence will see that. Maybe he gets an assistant coach role, but even that I think is suspect.

I only wish someone would grab him so we didn't have to pay him so much.

rod.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's gotta be a wet paper sack somewhere that he can coach his way out of. Maybe there's another country that needs a coach badly enough to take a chance on him.

13. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see the movie now:

Hudson: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Coaching Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Andy126, Dom. FC and COMtnGuy repped this.
  14. therapidsnumbernine

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Jul 16, 2019
    Nebraska

At the risk of delving even more off-topic here, Hudson just started a coach/tactics podcast... so I doubt he's in the running for any full-time gigs.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/anthony-hudson-football-manager/id1482065104

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copying from the Facebook thread:
    Thanks to Terrie for taking the hit and suffering through that for the rest of us

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oh my god. I would never want to spoil a dog walk, or doing the dishes or yard work or whatever listening to Hudson. Sometimes I listen to podcasts when I can't sleep, this would give me nightmares.

Rod1916 repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  21. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports Yak and Paranoid Coyote repped this.
  23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunno. I think RSL should kinda sorta give Hudson a second chance to coach in the MLS . . .