2019 Season Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by m vann, Feb 26, 2019.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll keep saying what I've said since May. There's a difference between "the loan contract doesn't have a specific number in writing" and "there's no deal to get Lalas permanently". The national media is going to town on the first statement and conflating it with the second. From what I've heard there Columbus and Colorado had an agreement to make the move permanent. I don't know what form that agreement took, but I can't see Columbus going back on it or screwing the Rapids because this is a small league and reputations (good and bad) develop quickly. Until Lalas isn't in training camp in January everyone should take a deep breath and see what happens. I think a deal gets done, and at a much lower number than that article suggests.

FtCollins, Totoro, Rod1916 and 3 others repped this.
  2. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I still had your faith in the hand shake deal but that period ended long ago.

22SteveD and FtCollins repped this.
  3. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Surprised the editor didn't prune that back, but maybe he didn't want to get tangled up in it.

fortcollins repped this.
  4. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Strange but true, some populations of trees (not individual trees) are 'migrating' north or else up-slope with climate change due to increasing average temperatures.
    If you don't believe in climate change they are doing it because they have disposable income from the tax cuts and want to travel?

JasonMa repped this.
  5. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona

Not only do we face Carlos Vela one goal from setting a new MLS record, but we face an LAFC team looking to make all kinds of records:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/10/01/where-does-lafcs-chase-mls-history-sit-after-33-games

1. As mentioned already, Carlos Vela is tied with Josef Martinez for the all time single season record with 31 goals scored. One goal cements him as the top single season goal scorer in MLS History (P.S. he's already passed Giovinco's tally of 38 for most goals/assists combined. He's currently sitting at 46 combined as of today)

2. NYRB set the all time season point high last year at 71. LAFC sits at 69 points right now. If LAFC wins it, they will set the new point record.

3. LA Galaxy set the all time team goals record at 85 goals in the '98 season. LAFC are sitting at 82 goals.

4. The '98 Galaxy also set the best goal differential at +41. LAFC are currently sitting at +46.
    I highly doubt they rest a ton of players as they've already secured a bye week, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Bradley and Co. will probably look to maintain their momentum into the playoffs, and will most likely sub out their star players only after the game has been put to rest. They've hit a bit of a dry spell lately (LAFC is 1-1-4 in their last six), and I'm sure they want to kick start their momentum again going into the playoffs.

So, if LAFC decides to not only roll into the playoffs on a win, but also decide to chase history against us on Sunday in each of those points above....the Rapids will be staring face to face with a Juggernaut of a team looking to smash all kinds of records in one day.

1. Carlos Vela needs to score one goal to make history for the second time this season. I assume LAFC will be looking to feed him the ball in dangerous spaces and let him put his "magic left foot" to work.

--->1a. The back line needs to be ready to face the speed of Rossi - who has scored 16 goals himself....and Vines better be ready to take the keys to Vela's car again, otherwise it's gonna be a long, long night for him and the rest of the Rapids defense.

2. LAFC needs a win to set the all time season points record. They are playing this game at home, and in front of a raucous, hungry crowd. LAFC are 12-2-3 at home, with a +24 goal differential

3. Three goals scored will tie the all time record. 4 goals will set it. LAFC average 2.6 gpg at home. They average 3.3 gpg in wins at home. At home, they've only scored less than 2 goals in 4 games.

---> 3a. Across the entire season they've scored 2 or more goals in 23 games. In 6 of those games where they were held to less than 2 goals, they still scored. LAFC is a goal scoring machine.

--->3b. Did I mention it's going to be a long night for the Rapids D? We've already shut down LAFC for 1 of their few scoreless games. Can we do it again, but this time on the road? Also, since Robin has taken over, the Rapids have scored 2 or more goals in each game. Here's hoping we can keep that stat line rolling!

4. Finally, in order to secure the Goal Differential record, they will look to not lose by 5 goals or more. Bayern just put 7 past Tottenham....maybe the Rapids can do that to LAFC on Sunday? Man. What I would pay to see the look on Bradley and Co.'s faces if the Rapids put 6 or 7 past them. Maybe a Shinyashiki hat trick on the way to 7 overall? That would be a dream :D:D

Sunday's gonna be a tough one. But the Boys in Burgundy are hungry, our playoff chances are still alive (somehow...o_O...), and our pride is on the line in this game.

We beat NYRB in their house. We beat SKC in their house. We took the fight to Toronto in their house, and had Kei not muffed that PK, and had the ref pulled out a justifiable red card against either Mavinga or Altidore (or both :thumbsup:), we might have beaten them too.

I'm hoping that we show LAFC, and the rest of the MLS, that when we beat them earlier this year that it wasn't a fluke. The Rapids are here for real, and we're raising eyebrows around the league. Let's go do it again on Sunday! :)

FtCollins, Sports Yak and Rod1916 repped this.
  6. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sleeper has awakened!
    [​IMG]

FtCollins, TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  7. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will not even feel bad when we prevent all of this from happening ;)

22SteveD, FtCollins, Sports Yak and 5 others repped this.
  8. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    But only for +5 on goal differential, Spurs scored one and got a pk (pity kick). ;>)

9. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    FtCollins repped this.
  10. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We all know it looks grim against LA on Saturday...
    upload_2019-10-2_22-30-22.png
    "...But I know, if I’m gonna have any life anymore it’s because I’m still willing to fight and die for that inch."

If you haven't seen the entire "Any Given Sunday" speech, check it out. It's a classic.

11. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    That is an absolute classic speech....

You know, this season has a sports movie written all over it. Especially if we miraculously make the playoffs somehow.

Even if we don't make the playoffs this year, the turnaround is nothing short of spectacular.

I mean think about it. A "bottom group of players" overcoming one of the worst starts not only in team history, but in league history. Not one, not two, but three coaches in the span of one season. After the horrendous start, the "bottom group of players" comes together against all odds, takes the league by storm and since the 0-9-2 has one of the best ppgs in the league. Not only that, but going toe to toe with some of the toughest competition in the league and not just surviving, but winning against all odds in some of those games.

That's basically every script for a sports movie ever.

Heck of a ride this year.

12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    If you really want a movie we have to make the playoffs because by law (apparently) every soccer movie has to end in kicks from the mark. ;>)

TheWarmBurger and Rod1916 repped this.
  13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Here’s what will most likely happen:

Rapids will beat LAFC and Vela will not score making Lalas that more expensive.

Rapids will make it to MLS cup and win on PKs. (Things movies love)
    Rapids come back to Denver and celebrate.
    KSE get into a tiff with Fraser who wants more than the 50k he’s being paid and Columbus want 400k for Lalas

You guessed it! Fraser is canned and Lalas goes to LAFC because that is the MLS way.

FtCollins repped this.
  14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm...for another MLS cup? I might be okay with that outcome.

Mostly because it could happen without an MLS cup win.

FtCollins repped this.
  15. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Have to admit, this is the speech that came to mind....

16. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Damn! Forgot to mention the win

FtCollins repped this.
  17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

SccrDon, FtCollins, COMtnGuy and 2 others repped this.
  18. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Congrats to Lewis and Vines for being named to the US u23’s.

1180215228589461504 is not a valid tweet id

Hopefully this doesn’t prevent them from being eligible for selection on Sunday, seeing as how the camp runs from the 6th to the 15th....

JasonMa repped this.
  19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Does Richard know how 'well' we've done lately at qualifying for major tournaments?

But congratulations are still due and hopefully they will help with qualifying and get the honor or representing their country at the Olympics.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally what that means is that players report on Sunday after their weekend games, so it shouldn't be a problem. While the rest of the team flies back to Denver, Vines and Lewis will fly from LAX to Miami.

(Now if we pull off a miracle and make the playoffs things might get interesting)

COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  22. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy, JasonMa and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All in All it's kind of amazing where we ended up this year given our start. Very promising and hopefully the RFO can find the pieces we need to really challenge in 2020.

FtCollins repped this.
  24. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given how bad the start of the season was, I'm actually pretty happy with the Casey/Fraser games ... definitely exciting. I'm also excited to see what Padraig can do with the cap space and DP money that has been freed up.

With regards to Anderson, I watched the game on ESPN while doing some paperwork this weekend. Even though he was subbed off, he seemed to have a good game and was very involved in their 2-0 win. Hundley had a goal but seemed to have some rough patches. The Switchbacks had a good game overall, 2-0 against Los Dos.

TheWarmBurger and FtCollins repped this.
  25. FtCollins

FtCollins Member

SSC Napoli
    United States
    Aug 24, 2019
    Colorado
    What positions would you like to see filled? Where are our biggest gaps?