2019/? Ritsu Doan @ PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Keren, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A benchwarmer is generally a player who not only starts on the bench but usually stays there as well (i.e. keeps it warm). The label is misleading since Doan is playing more than half the available league minutes.

Samurai Warrior and YakYak repped this.
  2. He has been starter in several matches.
    A world class player like Götze or Gakpo isnot starting in every match either, sometimes not playing at all and not because of injuries.
    Doan has as an attribute that he's very versatile player, able to operate from the midfield or (often as a winger) in the attack. As I mentioned this coach has the (much criticized) habit of subbing players around the 60iest minute, no matter if these were playing good or not and no matter if they themselves feel fit enough to keep playing.
    In such a rotating system with your versatility you're a key sub player for the coach when you're not starting.
    I don't get your negativity, as if Doan isnot valued by this coach. The minutes he makes, the top quality players he replaces when subbed in, are all contrarian to this opinion.

Samurai Warrior, YakYak and HTCONEM8 repped this.
  3. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Had an assist today against FC Kobenhavn in the 2nd leg of the UEFA Conference league. They won 4-0 after the 4-4 draw in the 1st leg at home, shows how unpredictable football is haha

almeyda82, YakYak and seolseol repped this.
  4. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
  5. dlsn3y

dlsn3y Member

May 23, 2016
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    At this point I think Moriyasu just hates guys that play in the eredivisie lol

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  6. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Doan keeps underperforming when playing for Japan. He has been given many chances but he didn't capitalise on them and didn't prove that he is a "game-changer" or "fitting the system".

I believe what made Japan Olympic team struggle at the Tokyo Olympics is Moriyasu's insistence on using Kubo and Doan together, which didn't work, and was the reason behind benching Mitoma.

Right now, he is well down the pecking order for the attacking midfield spots. Junya Ito and Take Kubo are ahead of him in the RW position, while Minamino and Mitoma are ahead of him in the LW. He doesn't have the flexibility to play both in the CF and RW/LW positions like Furuhashi, Asano, Maeda, Minamino, and even Kamada.

So based on all of this the only chance for him is to prove that he is a game-changer for PSV at least, which he didn't so far, then he has to prove how he will fit into Japan NT's system and be a game-changer.
    Unless this happened, or other players get injured or lose their forms, or FIFA will allow for more than 23-players squads, Doan will not make it to the WC.

7. NaohiroTakahara

NaohiroTakahara Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    #107 NaohiroTakahara, Mar 24, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    Doan is really really solid at Eindhoven. Dutch Media is calling him as one of the best players.

He is place 4 on the goal scoring place (9 goals)n the Team behind 3rd Götze with 11 goals. But all 3 players above him has way more games.

I agree for JNT he plays very badly last time, but he should be there in front of Osako, Asano etc.
    He is still a very talented player with 23 and since moving to Bielefeld things are getting better and better for him.

YakYak repped this.
  8. Voetbal International put him in this week's "Team of the Week" with a performance rating of a very good 8!

Samurai Warrior and gamban98 repped this.
  9. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    By this logic, then Osako, Nagatomo, Asano, Minamino shouldn’t be called up by Moriyasu as well.

10. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    #110 Samurai Warrior, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Minamino scored some goals for Japan in this WCQs, and his ability to control the ball within tight spaces is unmatched by another JNT player. Not to mention Minamino's versatility to play anywhere in the attacking zone (including the striker position). Finally, Minamino is great in pressing, he can break opponents' counter-attacks from the opponents back-line and recover possession.

As for Osako and Nagatomo, no one can replace them at the moment. No one can do the hold-up play up front like Osako, while apart from Nakayama (who isn't a natural LB) nobody can play in this position better than Nagatomo, as Nagatomo's alternatives after Nakayama are Sasaki and Ogawa (surely not better than Nagatomo, and surely alternatives we all don't wish to see playing for the JNT).

About Asano, he is there because he is a former deciple of Moriyasu + he can play either as a striker or on the flanks or behind the striker or as a second striker, once Furuhashi get fit and Maeda gets integrated into the team I cannot see him being called up.

As for Doan, if we speak about him as a player on the right flank then his competition is Junya Ito and Takefusa Kubo, and they are rightfully ahead of him in the pecking order.
    If Japan go back to 3 attacking midfielders behind the striker, then his competition will be Minamino, Kubo, Maeda, Furuhashi, and Asano (all of them offer far more versatility than Doan).

Being called-up to the NT has more to do with how a player can be integrated into the team, how versatile he is, and who shall he beat to the NT spot (who is his competition).

If Doan was a striker and scored some goals for his club, then he shall be in the NT, as this is a place where Japan NT is lacking depth in. By a striker I mean players over 180cm or over who can do the hold-up play, win aerial challenges, and win physical duels against opponents (right now Osako is the only fit for this role).

What I said here about Doan could be said about both Kamada and Okugawa, eventhough I think Okugawa shall be given his fair chances to prove himself.
    I am sure Moriyasu is considering Doan, Kamada, Nakajima, and Okugawa as part of his extended squad for the WC, and he will surely give them chances to either integrate or re-integrate themselves into the team.

11. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No one can replace Osako and Nagatomo because they simply haven’t got any opportunities in the last four years compared to the guaranteed playing time these two guys always get for the JNT regardless of how sh!t they’ve been.

Ayase Ueda and Yuma Suzuki are two guys coming to mind. Ueda imposed himself on the Socceroos CB and was winning most of his aerial contests.

I think the obsession of having a striker who can “hold the ball up front” in Japanese football needs to stop.

A striker whose priority is to bang in goals would be a massive help to the MF who end up having to save the day on the scoresheet.

12. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Ueda is an interesting prospect but he needs to gain more experience and exposure. He has less than 3 years of professional football under his belt so far.

Good you mentioned some alternatives to Osako, but can you mention other alternatives to Nagatomo (other than Nakayama) ?

13. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Whispered11 and seolseol repped this.
  14. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why do we still mention Suzuki? Moriyasu dont want him. For some reason unknown to us. And now he went back home I dont care about him anymore. Should not have been getting megalomania and accept the offers he got from bigger clubs..

15. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Exactly why Ueda should’ve been given more opportunities when there opportunities with a “lower stake”. Osako has been awful during the same period.

Yutaka Yoshida, Reo Hatate. Anything better than the bizarre “let’s automatically swap Nagatomo for Nakayama at 65 minutes”.

16. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Reo Hatate is not an LB, offensively he cab do a great job, but defensively he is lacking as shown in many occasions when he played there for Kawasaki.

Yutaka Yoshida? He is not better than Nagatomo.

You can see that the options you are speaking of are either lacking or unproven.

17. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Nagatomo > Yoshida based on what? He’s been bang average since coming back to FC Tokyo or are you still comparing these two from the days of Inter Milan.

Is the quality of Japanese football that dire we need to always play the 36 year old LB who’s lost his dynamism and technically not the greatest?

Like Moriyasu, you’re just going off the name on paper.

18. dlsn3y

dlsn3y Member

May 23, 2016
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Not even giving 1 cap to someone like Sugawara is absurd. Anyway getting sort of off topic with this thread so I apologise for sort of changing subjects haha but there's a few in that squad he should be playing over. Also Moriyasu doesn't play players based on club form lol... Ao Tanaka done nothing but has remained in the starting lineup for the past year. Same with Nagatomo etc

seolseol repped this.
  19. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agreed. He has his players. That will play no matter what, many coaches do this. It scares me ahead of the WC. Tanaka is a good example. Hasnt really done anything at club level. And it is Bundesliga 2.

20. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Because the club playing style does not suit Ao Tanaka, not because he is lacking.

21. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Starting from next season Ruud van Nistelrooy will be the new head coach (manager) of PSV Eindhoven:

22. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Another former player turned to coach? They tried that with van Bommel, but he didn't deliver.

23. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Most coaches are former players.

24. HTCONEM8

HTCONEM8 Member+

AC Milan
    May 16, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yeah but I meant some former player who has little to no experience with coaching being tasked of taking over the senior team. I got it wrong with Nistelrooy, though, as it turned out he already coached the youth teams of PSV and the Netherlands. My bad.

almeyda82 and Samurai Warrior repped this.
  25. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He coached both of PSV U-19 and Jong PSV, as well as being assistant coach twice for Netherlands.

HTCONEM8 repped this.