2019 Revolution Prediction Thread

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Feb 24, 2019.

?

How many points will the Revs finish with in 2019?

Poll closed Mar 2, 2019.
  1. Less than 35

11.1%
  2. 36-40

16.7%
  3. 41-45

52.8%
  4. 46-50

13.9%
  5. 51-55

5.6%
  6. 56-60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. More than 60

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well ... it's that time of year. 6 days till the season opener.

Last year, it seemed most of us expected a much better season than we actually got. What are your expectations for this year?

If you have the time (and inclination), please add your explanation as well.

2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing 43 -- 2 pts better than last year.

3. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I cast my vote for less than 35. Too many holes in the center of the park still

4. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto. Did this team really get much better over the winter? How many top-quartile players are on this team, compared to our competitors? Especially on defense.

5. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're more talented than they've been the past couple of seasons, but I don't think they're improving at the same rate as the other teams in the East.

6. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea. I've over-estimated them every year since . . . forever. And I can't bring myself to believe the Orlando game doesn't mean anything. So I'll go with the "You are what your record says you are" theory. The regular season will resemble the pre-season -- some good results against good teams, and some shockers, and they continue their 1.222 ppg pace and end up with 42 points.

And I'll be really disappointed if they are in the low 40s, and pleasantly surprised at anything better.

NateP and A Casual Fan repped this.
  7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 RevsRule, Feb 24, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Im going to say that we are slightly better than last year but still not good enough. Other teams are progressing faster with much better players than we are and there is no way that we can hope to keep up. None of the FO get it. We either need to get into this game or get out of it. What we are doing is a death spiral

I also believe that the Orlando game showed us where we are at.

8. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m thinking 41 points again. It will be a struggle.

9. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm expecting 2nd from the bottom in the EAST. Thank goodness there is Cincinnati! I put 36-40 pts, if they exceed that, it will be because the East has declined overall, not because of actual improvement by the Revs. I hope I'm wrong by the D is still the same swiss cheese as last year (maybe Castillo is a slight upgrade), and the Revs don't have a CDM that can compensate for the defensive ineptitude.
    On the plus side, I'm hopeful to see young guys like Rennicks and Angking.
    I'm excited to watch them again, but how long is it before I just watch the condensed version of the games? It's been about August the last few years.

10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with 41 points. Have the Revs improved? Well, I think Gil is a good addition and I tend to be overly optimistic in the pre-season, but this is like being happy with a 5% raise, but the cost of living is rising by 10%. You may be getting more, but you're still falling behind....

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I'm not ready to make my prediction and probably won't be by the opener. Caicedo-dos is expected to be a key contributor, yet we haven't really seen him. It was disappointing to me to see both Agudelo and Bunbury in the lineup for the last preseason game. I don't expect anything different from those two than we've seen in the past (Bunbury actually manages to score one way or another at a decent rate, Agudelo though ...).

I also don't want to be seeing Caldwell in the starting lineup - that spells trouble for me, much as I like the guy personally. We need better starters.

The extended absence of Farrell is giving Bye a golden chance to solidify a position.

The problem with getting sub minutes for the young guys is that there are too many of them: Taj, Jones, Rennicks, Angking, Firmino, ... Maybe 1 or 2 of them will get regular sub appearances.

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to be another long year for the Revs unless they get a boost on defense. Nothing I saw in the last game made me think Bye was improved and Buchanan was ready for major minutes. Also was not impressed with Castillo

13. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we do maybe a scosch better than last year's 41, but not so much as to break out of the 41-45 bracket. I just don't see our defense as improving, and that's a big problem.

Now, if we bring in another DP and he's a real difference maker, maybe that'll bump us up a notch. And maybe one of our new kids will prove superlative - I do enjoy being surprised by young guys who play out of their minds. But if this is our roster, our kids play like kids normally do (well, but like rookies), and our only in-season additions are at best of the Mancienne variety, I feel we're treading water this year.

14. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I expect to be slightly better than last year. I'm hoping that Gil, Caicedo, and a mystery new signing will be enough to push us in the right direction.

15. asctester

asctester Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Apr 2, 2018
    Witch City, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had some optimism based on the early returns in Spain. Then Florida happened. Leaves me thinking they will be around where they have been the last few years unfortunately. (41-45 points)

Not being able to watch the majority of the preseason games leaves some mystery. Castillo should be an improvement at Left Back. Gil will hopefully prove to be a good signing. i want to see what the new Caicedo can do. It feels like one or two of the young players should start to carve out a role like Bye did last year.

I would love to be surprised by a high level signing before the transfer window ends. If that is a defender or defensive mid, it could improve the prospects of the team considerably. The silence on that topic now suggests it won't be happening.

I am hopeful that it will be enough to grab at least a bottom playoff spot. If you can't be optimistic at this point in the season, then it is going to be a very long year.

16. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    We'll see on Sat. if we have anything or not. Im guessing one or two points higher than last year. If this is the case then for me it says BF must go. Burns too. Im tired of hearing BF talk already. Who hires a inexperienced coach that was a goalie anyway?

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think the value of Castillo is being underestimated. He was one of the best left backs in the league last year (that's not just me or Rev supporters talking), so we've turned a position of weakness into one of strength.

OTOH, the preseason results have been dismal, so I can understand the pessimism at this point. We still don't know if our back four can function as a unit, whether our dmid can provide adequate protection for the defense and whether we can develop any offensive rhythm.

Based on what I've seen, I suspect we're going to be slow out of the gates. But, I disagree on whether an early look will show us what's in store for the season. We just may need more time to develop (not saying that it should be this way, just that I suspect it will be). We had a long preseason, with the trip to Spain - I thought we'd be further along by now. Maybe we are, but it hasn't shown through yet??

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if you saw the game saturday but Castillo was a turnover machine. I did not see him play at all last year but based on that one game he was no better than Somi or Bye who both played that position last year. Maybe he had an off day? I hope that is the case over a 32 year old that is losing his game

19. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I did see him and thought he did some good things. I think he and Penilla were still learning to read each other, but he looked a lot more comfortable on the ball than anyone we had last year at that spot. And, he had a nice block of a cross that showed more skill than anyone had last year.

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went for the 41-45 slot. Given the current state of the personnel on the team, and the continued difficulties in having a cohesive backline, it's almost as if the Revs best defense is the other teams' poor offense.
    I'd like to think this is a promising year, but I just don't see the promise right now.

21. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    44 points, I don’t have a clue about this team.

TOAzer repped this.
  22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've gone with 46-50. I see some talent here, but ... I'm most likely wrong.

Crooked repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Monty, better drink up! It looks like your glass is half-full!

24. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I think we'll get more points--48ish--but so will some of the other bubble teams like Montreal and Philly.

Why?

The top teams in the East (Atl., NYRB, NYCFC) will not be as dominant this year, Columbus will take some time to find itself under Porter, and TFC will be flat out abysmal. Points will be more evenly distributed in the conference, and Cincinnati with its Loons-like debut will be a "free 3" for a lot of teams.

I still don't see us getting ahead of any of the teams who topped us last year, and Orlando can only improve.

Thus: no playoffs, 8th or 9th place, 48 pts.

25. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sorry, but this is a cop out. We're all working off the same roster and pre-season results.

NFLPatriot repped this.