2019 Regular Season Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by NorthBank, Mar 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    #176 Woodrow, Aug 23, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    I think the point I was making is that he was 2nd cautioned for committing a foul. Kicking the ball away would not be unsporting behavior, it would be time-wasting. Dissent is dissent. Most fouls that are cautioned would be for unsporting behavior, hence it is the most common caution given. My point was that on the play in question, Tarek was given his second caution for unsporting behavior, most-likely because he horse-collared Ariola. Whatever the specific reason the ref gave him that caution, what I saw of the play, admittedly on video replay, Tarek grabbed Ariola in order to gain position to win the ball, and in the process hauled him to the ground. That's a pretty basic UB call. One could argue it was a tad harsh, but having not seen the game, seeing whether it was a physical match, or not, it seems likely the extension of Tarek playing too rough, having already been given a caution. Refs particularly look down on players who don't seem to be listening to their directives. Fair or not, Tarek was cautioned, and sent off, for his physicality on that particular play.

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough loss tonight. Can't really argue that we deserved to win this. Hard even to make a case that we should've drawn, given the number of times they hit our woodwork or Robles pulled off a good save.

EXCEPT how the hell did Barlow miss that near-sitter from 4 yards out, right at the death??!!!

3. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    With every passing week you realize how important Jesse Marsch was. We can say Tyler Adams is missed (which he absolutely is) but I think the bigger piece missing is Marsch. It looks like the players have no confidence in the ideas of the game and the swagger they had when they peaked with Marsch is completely gone. I like Armas but at the end of the year they really need to look somewhere else.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need a new owner, new coach, new director, and a few new players.

An owner who doesn’t take your winning manager away mid season and will actually splash some cash.

A new coach who doesn’t changes tactics that are working in the middle of a derby match.

A new director who brings in the players you need.

A legit right back, and another DP midfielder at minimum.

5. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Leipzig had a bit of a squeaker against Frankfurt today, and had a similarly narrow miss in front of goal. This team just doesn't have any luck this year, but they also just fade as the game goes on. Not taking their chances means opponents have an easier hill to climb to get back into matches. How many fresh faces were out there for the blue man group? How many were there for the Red Bulls? I counted Simms, and maybe Barlow. That's pretty thin. Teams have to retool every year, and clubs like LAFC and Atlanta have clearly decided to spend more like foreign clubs. Unless Red Bull AG wake up and loosen the purse strings this club is going to be a joke by next year.

I understand the need to find young talent like Casseres and Jorgensen, hoping they will pan out, but they need to go the next level up with young DP's and top quality veteran free agents. And they need 2-3 of them at this point. Murillo looks like he's an empty shell of himself, the central midfield lacks bite, and Brad just is a shadow of his former self.

kokoplus10 repped this.
  6. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a lot of mistakes they’ve made in the past year starting with a winning manger leaving in the middle of a winning season.

But overall talent is what wins you games. They haven’t signed enough game changing talent.

Woodrow repped this.
  7. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Having a nice mix with that talent also allows other players to perform and improve.

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a cluster f*ck tonight.

Candidate for worst game played this season.

I was going to try to get out to RBA for one more regular season game. But now I think I might just give up on that plan. :(

Woodrow repped this.
  9. coachd24

coachd24 Member

Feb 22, 2013
    Club:
    RC Lens
    Armas should be released at the end of the season. Unfortunately knowing the ownership they'll keep it in house and give the job to Wolyniec.

10. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Giving the job to Wolyniec would be a great idea. He's shown he can make a competitive squad out of table scraps, and he's got a great eye for talent. Week after week, he manages to put a competitive squad on the field, despite almost constant turnover.

At season's end, a hard look has to be taken at this club, top to bottom, total overhaul. Other than Murillo, I'm not prescribing getting rid of any particular player. But, a new coach needs to be brought in, as well as a half dozen high quality players, including 2 new DP's. Then at training camp, you make everyone fight for his job, including the home grown players. The front office probably needs to be cleaned out, too. the marketing department is for shit, and it appears there's no one in the technical staff who knows how to find reinforcements. Josh Sims demonstrated last night why he's got so few career professional goals.

11. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armas will definitely be gone. This is the same club that fired Petke after all. I'd be OK with Wolyniec because he knows the system, culture, and younger players. I just don't want some MLS retread coach. Also worth looking at would be perhaps a foreign coach that's OK with the Redbull system.

Lastly, but can maybe they at least next year spend more than $10 bucks on their marketing and ticket sales department. The red tarps are embarrassing.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken Armas, in recent interviews, has started to subtley throw his players under the bus. That's never a good sign.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marsch was a retread. Just sayin.

14. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s true but as we found out during his tenure, he was studying to get his UEFA license. In other words he was actively improving his coaching skills to land a job in Europe. Or maybe we just lucked out on picking Marsh lol

15. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    We definitely did. A coach can have a mediocre record at first, especially if they're young, and then build towards success. Clearly, Marsch fits this mold. That's not always the case. There's the Caleb Porter model, where success breeds failure, as the ego is left unchecked. Ben Olsen looks like a coach who is successfully mediocre, basically he has no budget, and fails to make his team a contender, but he also doesn't lose his job. But, I digress. Marsch is more atypical. He has yet to demonstrate that he can win a cup, but he has show he can win a league, and that gets you a long way in Europe.

And the trick to winning a league? Just win games. If you want to be a credible coach, just field a team that tries to win games. Lately, this team has looked dispirited, unwilling to compete for 50-50 balls. There's no bite in midfield, and no sense of urgency in attack. That's all down to Armas not getting the most out of his players.

16. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what the hell is going on with this team? Their window for winning a championship is quickly closing. it was their for a few years but this team is really struggling.

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the match. A tough loss and yes we've put ourselves in jeopardy of possibly missing out on the playoffs for the first time in 10 years.

But I actually thought we played OK tonight. We certainly showed that we were going for it and had a real sense of urgency.

Perhaps I am more forgiving of my Red Bulls since I painfully watched my other main team play today completely without those qualities today.

I wouldn't write off Armas's team quite yet.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 NorthBank, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Jesse Marsch won his first UCL game. The first for American. And a resounding win for Salzburg! 6-2! 5-1 at HT!! Kudos.

A good week for the RedBull franchises in Europe. Might that bode well for NYRB? Don't count on it.

19. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The Salzburg team can score. I think they got something like 32 goals in 7 league games lol

EvanJ repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #195 NorthBank, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Whoa! What a game in Portland. We rode our luck but we also pressed the shit out of them for much of the game. And I LOVE IT when we do that. Timbers absolutely couldn't buy a goal. But we came up BIG. and just about put ourselves into the playoffs. Way to salvage a road trip. :D

Ps. Kyle Duncan actually had a great game! Go figure. ;)

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Salzburg has scored 34 and allowed 6. They won their first game 2-0 and their last six by at least 3. On Sunday they go to LASK Linz, who's second and 5 points behind.

I wonder what the MLS record is for biggest gap between goals within one game. Duncan scored his first career goal in the 3rd minute, and Royer scored a penalty kick in the 90+6th minute. Portland had more possession, but the Red Bulls had more shots (19 to 15) and shots on target (6 to 3). https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...rs-vs-new-york-red-bulls/details/video/214443 has highlights.

Half of the clubs including us have 3 games left. Half of the clubs have 4 games left and play on Wednesday. We host Philadelphia and D.C. and end at Montreal. If we win on Saturday, we clinch the playoffs.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The beginning was eventful. After scoring in the 3rd minute, the Red Bulls attacked in the 6th minute with one shot saved and two shots blocked (one of them near the goal line), the Red Bulls had a shot saved in the 12th minute, Diego Chara shot from just behind the penalty spot and hit the crossbar in the 19th minute, and the Red Bulls had a shot saved in the 21st minute. In the second half, Portland had a shot right at Robles, and 82nd minute shot just wide, and a 90+7th minute shot wide from right in front of the goal with a lot of players around. The score graphic said 0-1 at the end when it was 0-2. Portland's foul in the 90+3rd minute didn't have the penalty kick taken until the 90+6th minute, and there were 8 minutes of stoppage time announced before that delay.

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We clinched the playoffs. Chicago can tie us on points, but they would have 2 fewer wins. We're sixth, and we control our own destiny to finish fourth, start at home, and probably have a Conference Semifinal at NYCFC if we reach it. NYCFC will be more rested, but at least a home game and trip to NYCFC isn't much travel. We're 1 point behind D.C. with a head-to-head game and 2 points behind Toronto with a game in hand. NYCFC will lose the wins tiebreaker to Atlanta and/or Philadelphia. If NYCFC gets at least 8 points from their last 4 games including today, they win the East.

NorthBank repped this.
  24. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...york-red-bulls-vs-philadelphia-union/boxscore has the box score of our 2-0 win. Tom Barlow scored unassisted in the 32nd minute. 6 minutes of stoppage time were announced, and Royer scored in the 90+6th minute with the primary assist by BWP and secondary assist by Kaku, who were both subs. Kaku entered in the 59th minute, and BWP entered in the 61st minutes. We had more shots and shots on target, but Philadelphia had 59.9 percent of the possession and 1 more corner kick. Robles got his 114th win to give him sole possession of fifth in career wins. https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...ls-vs-philadelphia-union/details/video/215060 has highlights. We passed Toronto and D.C. to move up to fourth, but D.C. leads Seattle 1-0 and will pass us if they when. After that game, the three clubs will have 2 games left. We're 5 points behind Philadelphia, and all three clubs above us have a game in hand. After six games on Wednesday, every club will have 2 games left. A big game on Wednesday is NYCFC hosting Atlanta. NYCFC leads second place Atlanta by 4 points. NYCFC will clinch the 1 seed at about 1:00 A.M. on Thursday if they win and Philadelphia doesn't win their 11:00 P.M. game at San Jose. Minnesota will clinch their first playoff appearance if they beat Sporting Kansas City and at least one of San Jose and Portland doesn't win.

25. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It was actually fun to be at a game again. The Red Bulls played with verve and desire. The final product is still sometimes lacking, but they showed that they had the better ideas tonight. A great win sees them all the way up to 4th, leapfrogging Toronto and DC. Momentum at the right time can make a huge difference, which is why Jim Curtin should be worried, as Philly are losing momentum at the wrong time, but they have a game in hand. Two more games for NY, at home vs. the Scum and away to a fading Montreal. If this team can finish the season by giving it everything, that will salvage some dignity. Tonight was a great start in that direction.