2019 Preseason Catch-All Thread

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jan 21, 2019.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cos_Mos, COMtnGuy, Andy126 and 1 other person repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    This is one area where the Rapids have excelled recently.

I wonder if Gashi will be a forward or will be in the midfield for Hudson this season? Same with Nicholson - although I think he will mostly be in the midfield. He's got pace which can be useful in tracking back to defend.

It seems likely that one of the trio of Shinyashiki, Hundley and Jackson will end p in Colorado Springs.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know of any mechanism that allows you to swap a student visa (Shinyashiki) for green card that quick, think interns missed on that one.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking that too, unless the league had already started the green card process for him and they expect it to be complete by the start of the season.

Boateng I can see getting his green card by now, he's been here the second longest of our internationals behind Gashi.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like I got confused, Boateng got his green card last year (he missed the second leg of the CCL because he couldn't travel to Canada) so that's not a new change. And we only have 6 international slots, not 7. I keep thinking we traded for another one for this year but we haven't yet. So we're one over plus Shinyashiki would be two over.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn! I saw an email from the Rapids titled "#ThankYouTim" in my in-box and immediately got excited. I knew what it was. Retirement!!! Then I opened the email.....retirement following the 2019 season. Sigh................. man I'd love to get that salary off the books and further invest in the squad.

Sports Yak, COMtnGuy and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It will be interesting to see who (if anyone) will be our jersey sponsor next year and how much money it will bring in for that reinvestment.

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I no longer work for the current sponsor, I heard two rumors going in opposite directions last summer. One, they were renegotiating with said sponsor. One, no new deal / extension. So who knows. I got the impression most believed the former rather than the latter.

kucsdat, Rod1916 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we have another throw away season, these guys might be the best sponsor's

[​IMG]

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Acosta will be starting camp with the boys after all. He was released along with 4 others as Berhalter trimmed the roster for the Panama & Costa Rica marches down to 23. A little surprised Acosta was released but I’m not complaining. The more reps with the news players, the better. An important preseason is looming so better that he’s in camp.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    kucsdat, COMtnGuy, wormhole and 2 others repped this.
  14. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Not really any news in this article, but I find it interesting that Pádraig didn't comment one way or another on signing a third DP in the summer. Seems in the past he has straight up denied that he was in the market for a DP.

1087862807784292353 is not a valid tweet id

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Boy is this an important question. Seems like the jersey sponsorship is going to be key in getting the money to pay a DP or two.

It's hard to imagine the Rapids results on the pitch and attendance over the previous two seasons is going to attract a lot of money. Hope I'm wrong.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Amen - Especially those during the school year.

17. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention lack of Nationally TV broadcasted Games.

18. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I bet this changes with Tim retiring. Guessing MLS may take one of our later games and get it some publicity. "Come see Tim Howard play his final game."

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubtful, they probably knew it was his last season when they made the schedule. Even if they do though it doesn’t solve @COMtnGuy's concern. The next jersey sponsor is likely looking at a reduced number of nationally televised games unless we sign a 'name' that the general public wants to see or we're a really good team.

Rod1916 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the writer included this paragraph.

It should be noted that the Rapids could’ve made the types of moves they made this offseason last winter, too. History has shown that signing players from within the league is usually a safer bet than acquiring players from abroad, particularly when those international signings are relatively expensive and haven’t played much in the few seasons prior to coming to MLS. That knowledge isn’t groundbreaking, and Colorado could've done it last winter.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the writer for as far as he goes. I think its safe to say that generally though good teams find successful international signings along with their domestic ones. (Though the most successful two seasons in Rapids history we essentially signed no internationals the prior offseason, 2010 and 2016).

22. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what you're saying is that if we don't find a sponsor we can say Ciao to a big name DP?

SccrDon, Sports Yak and Dom. FC repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the horse goes first, meaning they will need to bring in a name or two DP contract players in order to get a big sponsorship deal.

24. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though the money from a sponsor may be the horse needed to pull in the desired DP(s)' buggy?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

SccrDon and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.