2019 Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by EvanJ, Oct 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By only real reaction at this point...

This could be a very short and short-lived thread.

3. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Therefore, I’ll lengthen it by one post.

4. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Least excited about the playoffs I’ve been in the Red Bull arena era.

Woodrow repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Or least optimistic.

Maybe that'll end up being like a reverse jinx... and we'll make it to mls cup.

Yeah right?

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually not this pessimistic, leading up to one of our matches.

But I think it was a bit assumptive to make a thread called "2019 Playoffs Thread" as if we have much chance of playing more than 1 game. :p

From MLSsoccer.com...

Philadelphia Union vs. New York Red Bulls (3 pm ET | FS1, TSN4, TVAS2, Fox Deportes)

Doyle: The Union have just been better than the Red Bulls this year. Time for their first postseason dub.

Warshaw: RBNY, because BWP scoring the game-winner in a playoff game would be good for the soul.

Collins: This one is tough but I’m picking Philly because it feels like it’s their time to make some noise in the playoffs and I simply don’t trust the Red Bulls in the post-season, sorry.

Carr: The Union stretch the field better than any team in the Eastern conference, which RBNY has not dealt with well lately (see last MTL match).

Bogert: The Red Bulls — a team the Union have struggled with over the years — is a sneaky tough matchup for the Union, but with Bedoya and Przybylko fully healthy, the Union should get it done.

Baer: Red Bulls have gritted out a lot of points this year but that will end here.

7. Night shift

Night shift Member

NY Redbulls
    United States
    Mar 23, 2015
    sec 201
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pessimist in me thinks we’ll come out flat and passive and get smoked. NE beats Atlanta and me miss out on a home game next round. A fitting end to this season and hopefully Armas’s tenure as coach.

The optimist in me thinks.....hey, it’s not the USOC against Philly.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Playoffs" is a general term. Other than a one game playoff tiebreaker in MLB, plural is used. Regardless of how many game(s) we play, the playoffs have 13 games. I think when NFL teams lose their first playoff game, their fans would say they lost in the "playoffs."

Atlanta won 1-0, so we will go there if we win tomorrow.

9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight's result was not a surprise.

But what was the surprise is that we found ourselves up 2-0 and then again 3-1.

Of course, as soon as I saw that we were gonna sit back and try to protect those leads I felt we had a little hope.

Frankly, I'm slightly relieved. There was just no way we were in a position to advance very far in this year's playoffs.

See ya guys.

Woodrow repped this.
  10. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For 3 years the team was built to press for 90 minutes. Armas took away our strength and management didn’t do enough in the transfer windows to bolster the team.

This is dumpster fire you get.

Armas needs to go and they need to drop some serious coin...or sell the team.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Jesse Marsch showed that you can still get good results without the biggest stars or highest wage-earners. And yes pressing was a big part of that.

It's frustrated me a lot, and especially lately, that Armas has chosen to not play that way, especially when we go away.

Today was a great example of that. We offered so very little offensively. And without high-pressing, it was always going to be difficult keeping them out.

Arguably we got a bit lucky to get a 2-goal lead... not once but twice. But the decision to sit back and try to preserve this was always low probability in my mind... and once Philly equalized, I was certain they'd go on to beat us.

So why did/does Armas do this? Maybe he knows we're not fit enough to press for most of 90 mins, let alone 120 mins. But if so, why not?

I suppose there should be an Armas thread for discussing his successes/failures. Maybe there already is?