Review: 2019 Other Teams PLAYOFFS THREAD [The MLS Only]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Q*bert Jones III, Oct 16, 2019.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At 7pm I knew there was a game and went and looked and saw it would be on at 10. I remembered it again when I saw the posts above just now.

tallguy and Winoman repped this.
  2. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    You successfully participated in Don Garber's "How to make MLS PLayoffs completely irrelevant to casual viewers" survey. Congratulations, your participation ribbon is in the mail from MLS headquarters.

Theopisa, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  3. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I've always been for fewer teams in the playoffs. But with this Mad Max one-and-done home advantage format, I just might be convinced to let all the teams battle it out. At least I wouldn't pull a muscle rolling my eyes every time I see the playoff line in the conference table.

shawn12011 and Eastern Bear repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    didn't we beat these guys? and didn't we beat RSL? wtf?

5. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah. It would make more sense if they just played playoff games on the weekends so there's be a bit of a build up before each round instead of rushing through the playoffs over two weeks or two and a half weeks.

6. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, moreover, now we get to root against the Flounders in the finals. That's a win-win or lose-lose scenario.

Theopisa repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Dizi, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  8. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Nicky with the go ahead in the 80th minute against Atlanta -- a stunner. Gee, why didn't we see that when Olsen was coaching him? Don't bother to answer. We know.

Dizi, shawn12011, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  9. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    TFC takes the lead after Nick DeLeon's mini-wonderstrike.

TFC-Nick is allowed to roam, strike, pounce.
    Kind of an indictment of Ben's guidance all these years, no?

No?

BTW, why is Nick disguising himself as an extra from an episode of "Vikings"?

Dizi, shawn12011 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Kids, I'm no TFC fan, and certainly no supporter of the Flounders.

But, am I alone in taking no small degree of satisfaction in seeing the Atlanta Copycats and the LACopycats both go down at home like lonely-housewife, bang-the-mailman-for-50-bucks whores?
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a strike by Deleon.

sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  12. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    In the final, I'm with NDL and Mullins, at least it's a bit of reflected glory. Geez what a shitshow Olsen pulled with those two guys.

Eastern Bear, Dizi, shawn12011 and 3 others repped this.
  13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's unbelievable to think that Nick - who has been an ectoplasm for the last 6 or 7 years - can produce a shot of that kind, and can still play the way he has been playing this season.

tallguy, Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Deleon is so damn clutch.

tallguy repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different coach, system, and team.

16. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow the hate just comes full bore around here..................................Go NDL, Go Mullins, Go TFC!!!

17. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    i'm surprisingly ok with LAFC dropping out but ATL hurts, might be Gressels last year and i wanted em to win another...

TFC v SEA in the final is still a positive to me since it rewards teams whose FO care about winning, lead by hiring knowledgeable staff, and are not afraid of paying big $$$ to improve the squad during all transfer windows

18. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Several takeaways, but they all point to ownership of DC United that have no clue how to run a soccer operation.

NDL is the poster child for what happens when knowledgeable coaching staff develop a player. He should serve as a reminder to the owners that the coaching staff are pouring their good money down the drain.

But let's also look at Seattle. They've made the playoffs 11 straight years and are in the cup final for the fourth time in the last five years. And you know who picks their GM? The season ticket holders.

Let that sink in.

shawn12011 and Dizi repped this.
  19. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would kill for Garth Lagerwey. I had a 45 minutes conversation with him during a rain delay. It started off as just general talk. Then he and I got into an in depth soccer conversation. It was great. I gave him my thoughts and ideas on tactics, and personnel. He did the same back with me. Just two guys who have been involved with soccer for a lot of years talking about their passion. I would replace Kapser with Garth in a NY minute.

20. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think anyone in this forum would disagree with you on that.

shawn12011 repped this.
  21. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    The really sad thing is that Lagerwey was the color analyst on DCU telecasts many moons ago. He worked at the same law firm as my wife when the RSL change in ownership occurred. He so impressed those guys that they hired him as GM, the rest, as they say, is history.

sitruc, Eastern Bear, tallguy and 2 others repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    While I think fewer playoff games are a good idea, the schedule seems guaranteed to make you forget about the playoffs unless you have a team in them. Ironically the only advertisement I've seen for MLS playoffs was during a League MX game.

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I thought the whole point of the new playoff system was to avoid these ridiculous breaks. Instead, we've had two two-week breaks.

What an own goal.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I doubt there was a point. My guess is the playoff "system" is what came out after negotiating with their tv partners.

fatbastard and tallguy repped this.
  25. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I think. In the past, we started the playoffs with the wildcard games on Wednesday and Thursday with the conference semi-finals beginning the next weekend. Logically, the conference finals should have been played the following weekend with the cup final coming on the weekend after that. Instead, MLS adopted a playoff system that played the conference semi-finals and conference finals in the mid-week -- probably at the insistence of the cablecast providers.

It's idiotic, so it's probably all about money.