PBP: 2019 NWSL Week 23 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A rare Tuesday match tonight! All four midweek teams play again this Saturday.
    2019 Week 23a.png 2019 Week 23b.png 2019 Week 23c.png

Semblance17 repped this.
  2. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[#1.NC-HOU.#7]
    S.Mewis for Zerboni; Mathias for O'Reilly.
    1174092178899030018 is not a valid tweet id

Identical, but they now tweet in positional order! :thumbsup:

North Carolina: Q none / OUT (=) Harbison Pruitt
    Houston: OK (<= Q) Murray / Q (=) Simon / OUT none / SEI (=) Latsko McCoy Prince

1174078656089612290 is not a valid tweet id

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston got screwed by the ref. Dunn fell down - no foul by Mewis-and earlier in the game, even though Chapman initially pushed Hinkle, Hinkle did bring her down in the box.

cpthomas repped this.
  4. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That was one of worst PK foul calls on Houston that I've ever seen. Compounding the injustice the ref didn't call an obvious PK on NC when Huerta was pushed down in the box.

Houston deserved a tie. They played a tight defense that stymied NC. However, Houston had to win this game to have any possibility of making it to the playoffs and Houston never became aggressive on offense. I don't think Huerta took a single shot, nor had a single opportunity to shoot.

A few mostly irrelevant comments.

Hinkle is the smoothest runner in the league. She looks like she's loafing along -- while she's leaving others behind. But she disappeared in the second half. All the action was on the opposite side of the field. Why?

Sam Mewis may have the hardest strike in the league. The ball comes off her foot like a rocket.

Ally Wagner and Dalen Cuff are a good broadcasting team. Good chemistry

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  5. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wrong on the Hinkle play - Small Chief points out that it was Huerta, not Chapman. I believe Hamilton's high boot to Chapman's jaw was Dangerous Play - some would say that Chapman bent down to head the ball, (also dangerous) - Dangerous Play is an indirect free kick offense. Penalty kicks are not awarded for indirect free kick offenses. However, per FIFA:
    Playing in a dangerous manner involves nophysical contact between the players.If there is a physical contact, the action becomes a offence punishable with a directfree kick or penalty kick.In case of physical contact, the referee should carefully consider the high probability that misconduct has also been committed.

This angle shows Chapman did lower her head, which might be a reason not to call the foul.

blissett repped this.
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I would have to watch the video, but I have a pretty good sequence of stills of the Hinkle/Huerta play and shooting it live I was actually somewhat surprised that nothing was called, and the photos don't make it obvious that the referee was right. The actual PK call was at the far end, and I only have a shot at the end of the sequence, but the positioning of the players, plus the fact that they showed the reply on the video board immediately afterwards made it pretty obvious that it was a bad call.

I actually got to see the pool reporter/referee questionnaire, but apparently rules forbid taking photos of it. Needless to say the questions about those two plays were less than enlightening.

I'm not sure that Houston "deserved the tie" in as much as Jane Campbell did, but the Dash definitely have a beef about the way that the game was called.

Other than the PK shouts, I think the referee was technically proficient, but his game and player management skills aren't really up to the professional club level, yet. He was regularly drawing the ire from both teams - even when he was getting the calls technically right. Nobody was happy on the sequence where Daly shoved Mathias down, but he got it right. Mathias had fouled Daly, earning Houston the free kick, then the shove got Daly the yellow card. I think the game really needed a couple cards in the first half where players only got a couple talking tos. Ohai almost pulled Debinha's arm out of her socket and the ref just had a couple comments to her, then Ohai pulled someone else a few minutes later and nothing. It was a chippy game, and the ref didn't reign it in.

CoachJon, cpthomas and blissett repped this.
  7. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite possibly the most crucial game in determining who gets into the playoffs and Mother Nature says "Nope. No fun for you."

blissett repped this.
  8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    blissett repped this.
  9. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Merritt Mathias isn't holding back:
    upload_2019-9-19_9-58-40.png

10. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did feel kind of bad for Houston having that call go against them when it happened. I don't feel that way now. I hope Portland wrecks them this weekend.

11. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do feel bad for Mathias.

12. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #12 Smallchief, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    That's too bad about Mathias -- but she's no shrinking violet when it comes to physical play. I looked at the video. I don't see any intent by Daly to hurt Mathias. It's a push. A foul certainly. But nothing out of the ordinary. It was a struggle by two aggressive players.

ACL's just happen. It doesn't have to be anybody's fault.

blissett repped this.
  13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I feel bad for Matthias having a ACL but the play against Daly was an accident.

Matthias needs to look back at all her violent conducts on the field in the past before she spouted those words.

lil_one and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #14 SiberianThunderT, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Mathias played on after that foul, and Daly went out of her way to shake Mathias' hand. Neither player is a saint, but Mathias has a much worse history than Daly does. Her flying off the rails like that against Daly on Twitter is possibly the most immature thing I've seen from and NWSL player in the history of the league. I hope she recovers well but, man, I don't think I have any sympathy if that's how she handles situations like that. Karma.

PS - if she wants to blame someone, she should blame the ref for letting the match get as physical as it did. As others have mentioned, Daly's foul wasn't anything out of the ordinary in intensity or intent. Just one of many in a match that had too many go uncalled for too long.

15. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    The league or the ref association needs to instruct their refs to call more fouls to keep these things from happening.
    I think someone up there feel like they needed to have more physical plays less they get looked down as a "girl" league.
    That attitude is wrong. A foul is a foul is a foul. There are a whole lot stricter calls in EPL than the NWSL.

blissett repped this.
  16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Players continue playing on torn ACL/MCLs all the time.

I watched Chris Klein play the last half hour of a game that ended up being the end of his season. Chris Armas, like Mathias, played about ten minutes after his injury against Uruguay that kept him out of the 2002 World Cup before he finally just sat down on the turf until he was taken off.

1) Houston's free kick was the right call. Mathias was unfairly impeding Daly.

2) Daly's yellow card was legit, and even red wouldn't have shocked me. While she was impeded, her after the fact kick and shove on Mathias was definitely "dangerous play", though maybe not "violent conduct".

I was within 15-20 yards of the play - on the field at the end of the Houston bench. The play was coming right at me. To be fair, in real time I didn't see the kick, I was more impressed with the force of the shove in the back.

But then the referee had a terrible night. He was more or less technically proficient, but he lacked consistency (the Hinkle/Huerta play vs the Mewis/Dunn play), and his game management was horrible. A couple early yellows (like when Ohai almost pulled Debinha's arm out of her socket) might have helped.

In the referee's defense, while the photo from Lewis that Equalizer tweeted during the game of Hamilton kicking Chapman in the face looks really bad, it's really hard to tell from a still photo whether it was a foul or not. Yes, Hamilton's foot is in Chapman's face. But know, it's not obvious which player was guilty of dangerous play. Chapman is leaning down and Hamilton is kicking up. In a vacuum, I'd say this should've been called on Hamilton, but I'm also very cognizant of how still photos can be misleading. I've not seen the video of this play, and I did not personally see it live as I was either looking somewhere else, or I was screened by other players.

17. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that Mathias is going to get some grief from the league. Her language is inconsistent with the NWSL's guidelines on the use of social media, at least those listed in the several-years-old Players Manual that I have (which is incorporated into the Standard Player Agreement). These are not rules, but they indicate that foul language is not appropriate, and the F word certainly qualifies as foul language. Of course, what could the league do to her? She's out for the season, and they don't pay her enough to fine her.

blissett repped this.
  18. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They give her a fine and a ban which of course will be useless. But at least it would be a good example to show the League cares about disciplinary stuf.

19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get that Mathias is frustrated and upset. A torn ACL is a brutal way to go out of a season early. I also get that Daly's shove and kick were a foul, and definitely yellow-card worthy. While it was a bit chippy, Daly's foul were within the realm of normal for the game of soccer. I don't see any malicious intent, and frankly for Mathias to tweet that, its a bit of a the pot calling the kettle black. Also its one thing to call out the refereeing or a team in general, but to call out a specific opponent? That just rubs me wrong.

20. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [#2.CHI-WAS.#6]
    K.Johnson for Elby.

Matthews for Thomas; Lavelle for Dougherty Howard; Logarzo for DiBiasi; Farquharson for Crosson.

Chicago: Q (OK =>, starting) Colaprico (OUT <=, not) DiBernardo Wright / OUT (=) Jahansouz Mautz Vasconcelos
    Washington: OK (OUT <=) Lavelle / Q (OK =>) DiBiasi (OUT <=) McGrady / OUT (=) Bailey / MAT (=) Eubanks / (4YEL Dougherty Howard)

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm pet-sitting for friends this weekend, and haven't been able to figure out how to switch their TV setup so I can stream... but then I discovered NBC Sports Washington is showing the CHI-DC game! It won't help me for the rest of the games tonight, but I turned it one and saw Kerr->Nagasato for goal #2 three seconds in. X-D

blissett, lil_one and Gilmoy repped this.
  22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    08' 0-0 Staab or Farquharson adventurous backpass to 0.2m center, Bledsoe calmly :mad::whistling: rearranges feet, stops ball 1 diameter from goalline, passes away to the right. If you do backpass on-frame, make sure it's exactly to the midpoint :laugh:

09' 1-0 Brian snaps a ground pass to McCaskill at circle tangent front left, spinning cw away from Logarzo. McCaskill passes between Staab and Farquharson in Washington's 35m-high line, to K.Johnson facing away just behind them at 33m center -- and Kerr begins her deep run from 38m arc left, cutting left-to-right to attack Farquharson's space. K.Johnson turns unharried as Farquharson, Staab, and P.Nielsen all bunch up oddly at 25m center. Diagonal pass leads Kerr 1-v-1 through box top mid-right alongside Farquharson. Kerr catches up to ball at 7m mid-right, one-touch right instep mini-lob arcs perfectly over Bledsoe's fingertips, drops unerringly into left side netting 1/2 high just behind left post.

23' 2-0 Gorden right throw-in at arc top, to K.Johnson facing away at 15m box right. Staab and P.Nielsen step up to K.Johnson's back, Kerr back-cuts Staab down box right. K.Johnson backheel splits Staab and P.Nielsen, into Kerr's stride through 11m mid-right. Kerr veers to 7m 6-right, Huster leaves Nagasato at 6m 3-left and goes to left post, Kerr square pass to 6-top left post, Nagasato chips right instep into center back roof.

blissett repped this.
  23. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #23 Gilmoy, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    32' 2-0 Logarzo chases a long serve with inside position on Short, Short shoves her shoulder/upper back at (or just inside) box top mid-right, Logarzo slides on knees to 8m. Foul, penalty.

33' 2-0 Logarzo pk, right instep pull to 1/5 left 1/4 high, Naeher dives and blocks to box left, Sullivan chases it down and backpasses.

36' 2-0 Hatch faces up 1-v-1 on Gorden at 15m wide left, passes to Lavelle cutting away from K.Johnson, to 7m box left. Ertz rotates across to 6-top mid-left, Lavelle nutmegs her to 6m arc left, shoots right instep to 2m left post, Naeher blocks down to 6m center, Short volleys away. This is what they do when they're not at the WWC :D

FT 2-0. Torrential rain today, soggy field. Kids in the stands are having fun with the transparent ponchos.

24. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [#4.UTA-NC.#1]
    Jónsdóttir for Boquete.

McDonald for Ln.Williams; Zerboni for Dunn; O'Reilly for Mathias.
    1175564144763908096 is not a valid tweet id

Utah: Q (=, starting) Press (=, not) Boquete / OUT (OK =>) Miramontez (=) Doniak Laddish Moros O'Hara / SEI (=) Lytle Ratcliffe
    North Carolina: Q none / OUT (OK =>) Mathias (=) Harbison Pruitt

25. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Gilmoy, Sep 21, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    [CHI-WAS]
    46' 2-0 Washington subs in (1 of 3) #8 Meggie Dougherty Howard (4YEL) for #10 Rose Lavelle.

49' 3-0 Brian comes back to ball at circle back box left, RB Huster is that high up :oops: to pincer her 2-v-1. Brian passes to Nagasato just past midfield wide left, Sullivan cedes 5m of cushion. Kerr starts sprinting up box left lane, bizarrely has 5m+ of lateral separation from P.Nielsen in wide left and 10m+ from Staab at arc left -- blown coverage with both fullbacks up. Nagasato kicks long to box top left, Kerr collects alone and veers inside to 11m 6-left, shoots right instep pull just inside Staab, wrong-foots Bledsoe shuffling centerward, past her right hand into 1/4 right back low. Kerr's 18th is her new single-season high, thus also a new NWSL record. Some credit (ahem) goes to Washington for bravely sending players forward.

53' 3-0 Yellow card on P.Nielsen, for a foul on Brian's ankle. Stoppage, Brian stands like a stork for some treatment, resumes.

62' 3-0 Yellow card on Staab, for a foul on Kerr.

65' 3-0 Dougherty Howard jumps for a header with McCaskill on her back, twists ccw and presses left elbow against McCaskill's face, pushes her half-over. Foul, yellow card = 5th on Dougherty Howard, she misses Washington's next match.

66' 3-0 Washington subs in (2 of 3) #31 Crystal Elaine Thomas for #6 Chloe Logarzo.
    71' 3-0 Chicago subs in (1 of 3) #2 Nikki Stanton for #9 Savannah McCaskill.

blissett repped this.