PBP: 2019 NWSL Week 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the captain for the Reign? It isn't on the line-up graphic and I couldn't see the armband.

2. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Barnes.

3. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    53' 1-1 van Egmond dribbles to 22m arc left, shoots right foot on the run, it tails off wide left low, Betos dives and misses.

54' 1-1 Kennedy turnover, Balcer dribbles past circle top mid-left, passes to Yanez down wide left to 10m. Cross to 8m center, Groom hops for it but Pickett jumps and leans head to ball, gets the first touch. Balcer gathers at 15m mid-right, shoots right foot low into traffic, blocked by legs.

57' 1-1 Yanez dribbles to circle top right, passes ahead, van Egmond grabs her right shoulder jersey and hauls her down backward -- no call, advantage. Reign cross from box top wide right to 10m mid-right, Utsugi jumps facing away and back-heads toward left post low or just wide, Harris dives and slaps it wider.

57' 1-1 Long distributes from circle top to Celia sprinting alone up right touch to arc top. Cross to 6-top center, Taylor lunges and just misses a header touch. After the play, yellow card on van Egmond for that foul.

4. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    62' 1-1 Pickett dribbles to 25m mid-left, crosses to 3m right post. Morgan breaks from spot, lunge-stretches but can't make contact.

63' 1-1 Orlando subs in (1 of 3) #6 Chioma Ubogagu for #9 Camila.

64' 1-1 Orlando fk at ~arc top box left, to 1m 2-right. Morgan, Kennedy, and Hill all jump for it, can't turn it goalward. Offside anyways, one of them, was.

65' 1-1 Ubogagu holds at 18m box right, passes down box right for Krieger(!) at 10m -- offside. Orlando are in their get-forward mode, with Krieger now committing to join some attacks?

66' 1-1 Marta drives up box right lane to 30m, Yanez bumps her down, foul.

5. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    70' 1-1 To and fro. Pickett hoofs up box left for Morgan chasing to box top left, Oyster kicks over endline left. Offside on Morgan. Hill is seated on field near benches, trainer checks her right ankle/foot, all others get water.

71' 1-1 Hill walks off gingerly, reports to 4R. Betos rolls ball upfield, 1R waves Hill back on.

72' 1-1 Morgan tosses somebody aside like a cape, doesn't collect. Reign rush the clearance to circle top, Kennedy jumps for a header, lands upon Taylor's back, continues heavily to ground and clasps -- stomach? Brief stoppage, Kennedy gets her wind back, resumes. Yellow card on Taylor, for undercutting Kennedy.

6. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    76' 1-1 Neither side has any midfield control now. Average possessions are a few touches in 10-15 seconds, a speculative try downfield, and a scrum.

77' 1-1 Orlando dumps ball into box mid-right, Oyster has angle but never quite gets there. Hill runs the long route behind her, collects to box right, backpass to Ubogagu at box top mid-right. Ubogagu shoots a low roller wide right, Betos dives and catches it anyways.

78' 1-1 Orlando subs in (2 of 3) #12 Kristen Edmonds for #15 Rachel Hill.
    78' 1-1 Reign FC subs in (1 of 3) #5 Kiersten Dallstream for #24 Bethany Balcer.

7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80' 1-1 Reign ping ball forward to Groom at 30m center, with Taylor making a run up mid-right lane. This time, Groom makes the early-enough entry pass -- but it deflects off Pickett's shoe like the Snell law, and rolls to Harris.

81' 1-1 Oyster(?) crosses to Groom at box top mid-right. Groom weaves into traffic through 14m center, tries to round the scrum to the left but pokes it too far to mid-left, Orlando clears.

82' 1-1 Morgan leads a 2-v-2 to box top left post, pokes ball leftward to Marta. Marta gets overtaken by waves of defenders, they poke ball free and Oyster(?) clears.

83' 1-1 Reign FC subs in (2 of 3) #8 Theresa Nielsen for #13 Celia
    Jiménez Delgado. Attendance 5,323!

8. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #108 Gilmoy, Apr 21, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    85' 1-1 Krieger dribbles past circle top box right, crosses over Morgan's head at 10m 6-left. Betos comes out and punches away, Marta settles at arc top mid-left, knows the net is empty, digs a left roundhouse shot toward left post. Betos knows it, too, dives back toward endline left and pushes ball over endline. It had to be spectacular, because she kind of put herself way out there :p

88' 1-1 Pickett races Nielsen to box top left, Nielsen slides but doesn't clear, Pickett collects. Cross to 8m 1/3 left, headed away off Morgan's head. Marta settles at box top 6-right, but again she gets caught from behind by retreating defenders, play broken up before she can even make a move to shoot.

9. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    89' 1-1 Orlando sustained pressure, couple of crosses and shots.

90' 1-1 Reign FC subs in (3 of 3) #12 Morgan Andrews for #20 Rumi Utsugi. +3'.

90+2' (of +3') 1-1 Groom gets to 5m box right, creeps inward along endline, never pulls trigger on a cross. Finally, she slices a cross directly over endline.

90+3' (of +3') 1-1 Yellow card on Morgan, for a foul on Groom.

90+4' (of +3') 1-1 Reign right ck, to 6-top left, Weatherholt heads into near touch.

FT 1-1.

10. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay I got one right this week! :D

blissett repped this.
  11. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So far, Balcer is the best looking rookie forward I've seen this year. Calm, good passer, no wasted movement, fast enough, looks like a veteran out there.

Orlando was lucky to get a tie -- but I suppose Orlando deserved a break. We need Krieger on the U.S. National Team. She can fill the need at right back if O'Hara is hurt -- or shifts to left back.

MRAD12 and CoachJon repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not sure if I was more annoyed by the football lines at the Memorial or by the wire invading the screen in this one. Can't Seattle just have a "normal" stadium? :unsure:

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, while everyone else (including me) thought that Orlando would have been crushed! Congratulations, @McSkillz

14. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish they had enough money to secure the Clink

15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I recall correctly, there is going to be a new soccer-specific stadium at the site. I'm not sure when.

16. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I can't wait to watch Leah Pruitt get some starts while the World Cup players are away. I can't ever recall a rookie forward that just looked settled and comfortable from minute one on the field like she has.

CoachJon, McSkillz and Smallchief repped this.
  18. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I noticed Pruitt on her brief appearances -- and she looks good. She was my pre-season pick for rookie of the year -- except that she plays for NC where she may not get many minutes.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Balcer when Rapinoe comes back. Balcer was at left wing -- Rapinoe's position, but she's a totally different kind of player.

Washington has three rookies playing 90: DiBiasi, McGrady, and Staab. That's pretty remarkable. I love DiBiasi, and I could get fond of the other two.

socalsoccer23 and CoachJon repped this.