PBP: 2019 NWSL Semifinals Discussion

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Gilmoy, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No real surprises in the Chicago/Portland game. Kerr and Nagasato....I have been very impressed this season with Gorden -- who has blossomed.

That Seattle goal looked me like a advert for fresh legs. Ubogagu comes in, skips past Erceg who is tired and makes a goal. And then Hamilton for NC, a sub with fresh legs, causes a goal.

Despite the score, GK Murphy should get a tryout with the national team. It was funny watching her standing side by side with Crystal Dunn. Dunn comes up to about her chest.

Ultimately, in my opinion, NC speed and conditioning won the game. NC an incredible 34 shots, 14 on goal.

Mills and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  2. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was about 10 minutes from the end, but I wouldn't worry about it. Nagasato is not a thug. That just was a reference to earlier statements that the Thorns are thugs -- the fact that they were fouled this year about 30% more than they gave fouls and their opponents received twice as many yellow cards being swept aside by saying that they're so thuggish they made their opponents do it.

In fact, Nagasato was great in today's game.

3. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I look at Yuki’s twitter from time to time and with her personality and playing skill, she’s become one of my very favorite players.

blissett, Mills, 59Amerinorsk and 2 others repped this.
  4. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #54 Semblance17, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Portland picked an inopportune moment to allow their six-year-long unbeaten streak against Chicago to lapse :rolleyes:. To me they looked like a team that was just collectively out of ideas; simply waiting for good football to happen in spite of sloppy passes/shots and poor decisions because they had skilled footballers, rather than working cohesively to construct and execute plays with ingenuity. Ironically I recall making a similar critique about Chicago in previous semifinals ("Okay, our plan is: Press is [in] our offense, and she does magic.").

But in a larger sense, I suppose a team that, in its final six matches [including this one] manages only one win and gets outscored 10-1 has no business being in the championship. Today saw a team with zero momentum encounter a team with a lot of momentum, and I don't believe for a second that the former team's disadvantage there was completely incidental to their defeat.

Although I would have preferred it not be at the expense of my favorite club, I'm happy for the Red Stars for finally breaking through the semifinal wall. All credit to their worthy squad for a hard-fought victory. And belated congratulations on the incredible regular season finish that secured them home-field advantage, which appeared to be a powerful asset to both teams today. I hope Chicago is up to the challenge of defeating the Empire in the Lion's Den a week from today.

Not a good day to be an NWSL fan in the Pacific Northwest. Portland to Seattle:

blissett, cpthomas, Mills and 1 other person repped this.
  5. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    They’re were toast...

6. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    What a great atmosphere at the CRS game today! Great crowd. Great weather! I saw quite a few Portland fans too. The crowd went wild several times but especially the final five minutes of the game! It was electrifying :cool::thumbsup::D CRS punched the Portland monkey off their back, finally!
    An early 1-0 victory is torturous to endure especially when CRS is winning and playing Portland and trying to make their first final! I am so proud of my team! I think the NWSL website said 9000+ on hand and I believe it.

lil_one, blissett, CoachJon and 4 others repped this.
  7. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Does anyone the TV viewing numbers? I'm really curious.

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Those don't usually get published until several days after any given broadcast. But I'm definitely interested too.

59Amerinorsk and Mills repped this.
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I didn't get to watch either match today, but I did see the MLS playoff Toronto 5-1 (et) DC last night, and it sounds like that means I basically saw the first semifinal today already. X-D

10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like the abundance of Simpsons' references in this thread. :D

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I guess I am not the only one who wants to see her back in Nadeshiko Japan NT at next year's Olympic Games.

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    :giggle:

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Given the crappy weather, I'm actually surprised at how many people showed up in Cary. Hopefully next weekend will be better.

59Amerinorsk repped this.