2019 MLS Week 28 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Sep 11, 2019.

1. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree, but I think retroactively punishing Jozy for a ref's miss is bad policy.

...so he'll probably get 2 games for it. :D

jarbitro repped this.
  2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Yeah, cuz MLS loves suspending players. . .

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is where you lose me. A ref's miss doesn't give players carte blanche to met out their own discipline.

4. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To issue a punishment for VC ignores that the VC didn't occur in a vacuum, and Jozy's post suggests retaliation as well, so you highlight the failure of the CR to call the dangerous play. Of course players shouldn't mete out their own discipline, but that's exactly what happens when a CR fails to manage a game properly.

5. Mi3ke

Mi3ke Member

Oct 18, 2011
    New Mexico
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RefIADad repped this.
  6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only high foot in this clip that could possibly be considered playing in a dangerous manner is the first one that makes Jozy slightly flinch, and it's not even from Abubakar.. That said, it's too far away from him to make that call at the professional level. When Abubakar raises his leg, there's no immediate reaction from Altidore to indicate that he senses any danger from the boot. I think it's much more likely he was retaliating for a previous foul or perhaps for his shirt being held just prior.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you call Jozy's shoulder charge a yellow or red?

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm all for more red cards than anyone else, but that's never a red card at the professional level or really any competitive level.

It's a dirty and cheap play, but no where does it cross the line of violent conduct or serious foul play.

The fall was unfortunate, but a yellow card is just the appropriate decision.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he had made any attempt, even slightly, to play the ball I wouldn't even be asking about a red.

superdave repped this.
  10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it can't cross the line for serious foul play because he's very clearly not challenging for the ball. :)

I think it's closer to VC than you think.

11. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I don't know how you can watch that video and NOT think he was trying to hurt the other player.
    The fall wasn't unfortunate...it's was the only possible outcome from Jozy's play.
    If he's even slightly making a play on the ball, you can think YC...but he's not.
    Total disregard for the other players safety.
    Clear RC for me.

ubelmann repped this.
  12. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wat...

This snapshot isn't even the highest point of his boot from the GIF.

Attached Files:

13. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is Jozy Altidore in relation to the boot? What was Jozy Altidore's reaction to the high boot? He doesn't even flinch from it. No foul.

14. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s no use. The DCU fans will only see what they want to see. I tried to make this exact same point in a different forum, and some doofus fan couldn’t get my point and resorted to personal attacks.

They see one camera off-kilter and think it’s gospel. It’s been a disappointing season for them, and I think this is just a convenient release for that frustration.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Confirmation bias is a powerful thing.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I have confirmation bias towards that conclusion on confirmation bias? I think I do...

usaref, Dayton Ref and sitruc repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're responding to a DC United fan and you are making personal attacks in this comment.

Sporting KC is going to miss the playoffs. DC United likely will be in the playoffs.

stangspritzring repped this.
  18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What's this comment have to do with ref discussions at all?

Please save that stuff for the team/league NON-REF forums.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Smith’s tackle, sweep and kick should have been a red.

But it is an interesting one for VAR.
    A caution is not COE, but I think that if there is an OFR, a red would be issued.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I assume you have a poster on ignore.

21. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's referring to your cheap shot at me that doesn't have anything to do with refereeing. I'll take the high road and just leave things at that.

22. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to respond here because I am surprised you reported the post in question. Hopefully this public reply puts a stop to this side conversation.

First off, fans regularly come in here with an attitude of "all you refs defend each other" or something along those lines (we see it above). When a particular group of fans come in complaining about the same incident and don't truly want to hear the alternate viewpoint (especially when it's a uniform viewpoint from the regular posters), I'm okay with that attitude being called out. If you feel aggrieved because you're also a fan of that team, I'd either invite you to develop slightly thicker skin or not associate with your tribe on every single matter. When he (or I... or anyone else) categorizes fans generally, of course it should be implied that it's not all fans.

But more to the point, this isn't the field of play--people aren't acting as referees here. If some might have a belief that every referee poster here should act just as they would while refereeing, I think they should reconsider. It's a discussion board with lively debate--it's perfectly reasonable for there to be some bite in the commentary here, so long as it doesn't truly push boundaries. I think there's a much higher level of discourse here compared to most sections on this site, but it doesn't mean the regular posters need to be deferential angels 100% of the time and not pushback.

And on the "personal attack" issue... he referenced a person in another forum by using a pretty benign, albeit childish, name. No one here was personally attacked. It was an "attack" in absentia. I think we've seen third parties--from fellow referees to administrators to league authorities to players--referred to as worse. Again, I'd reference back to the thicker skin or not associating with the tribe 100% of the time. I don't think anyone here was injured by the off-hand use of "doofus." And, without even going into the forum, I'd guess @RefIADad directly got called worse in response to his posts!

Now, with all that said, you are correct in pointing out that he was responding to a DCU poster who had conceded the point of the debate (to an extent, at least) and the conversation had actually ended up in a good place. So, simply in that context, a lot of the post made no sense. Now he realizes that! And, despite the blip of frustration and somewhat heated rhetoric--including even from me--the conversation ended up in a very good place and people are engaging well. I think it speaks well of the forum, actually.

23. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jozy is right next to him in that clip. Just because no contact was made does -not- mean a foul wasn't committed, and a high boot in congestion constitutes a reckless play. Were I a ref I'd card that every day of the week, rather than risk a boot-to-face contact.

I mean, isn't that the -point-?

24. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I CONCEDE NOTHING! :D

Well, I concede that VAR's implementation is bad, and that it really should have gone to review by the CR, rather than rely on the VAR official to say insufficient evidence for review...Meaning, I can see WHY it went the way it did, but that's not to say it was properly done.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  25. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @ManiacalClown has this covered, but I'll chime in to support his point. "High boot" is only a foul if it either:

A) makes contact (in which case it's a direct free kick) OR
    B) "threatens injury to someone" and prevents a "nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury" (indirect free kick)

(A) obviously didn't happen here. @ManiacalClown 's point is that everything you see from Altidore indicates (B) didn't happen either. There's no flinch or pause or pullback.

I'm with him here. There's no foul to call. Not all "high boots" are fouls.

Also, no-contact "high boots" (meaning scenario B) are almost never cautions. Maybe a really dangerous bicycle kick in a crowd that makes no contact would get one, but even that's a stretch. You're only issuing a card on a high boot if it makes contact (and then, at times, you also have to consider red).

As to the original question of what Altidore did, I'm ambivalent. Given the exact same scenario in a high level youth or amateur match, I'm probably going red. In a professional match and particularly given the player... it's just too weird of an incident for a referee to go red there, I think. And once you don't go red, there's no way VAR can intervene.

JasonMa repped this.