2019 MLS Week 25 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Aug 20, 2019.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Anyone know when or why that switch was made?

Pretty sure I checked the assignment Wednesday night after the midweek games.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hearing it is an injury.

3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I hate to see someone injured, I'm glad it wasn't related to the Gaitan red.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  4. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
  5. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Very impressive that didn’t result in any send offs.

jarbitro repped this.
  7. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Impressive or confusing.

8. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    The YouTube highlights weren’t great for showing why 3 of the reds were given. Had to pull up the actual game replay. To start, in the ~40th minute maybe a missed PK call. But then the first set of reds was a player getting fouled and another player who wanted that player sanctioned getting into it. One threw a headbutt and the other slapped back. Two good reds. I was surprised nothing happened to #6 who grabs the referee by the wrist and forcefully keeps his arm down The next one is after the goal making it 3-2 a player who thought he was fouled directly before the goal was scored jumped up and ran and bumped his chest into the referee. Looked like another good card. The final was a second caution where no one really argued.

gaolin repped this.
  9. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Definitely the latter since I thought there were a few coming while it happened...

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What necessitated a send off?

I think you can make an argument for a third yellow, for Ledesma, but no way a professional referee is going to come out of that unbalanced against the attacking team unless it’s completely necessary.

Referee team appeared to get this right. There’s a stray hand and a sneaky little kick-out... the type of thing that might have been VC years ago but never is now. That’s about it. Other than that you’ve got two players who clearly need to be booked and everyone is happy.

11. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Curious why the left hook by #4 yellow only warranted a caution.

12. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not talking about the CYA refereeing that the pros have to do to make good TV. I’m talking real law application. We have at least two players get all but body tossed into the net. Not to mention what looks like a swing amongst all the other pushing and shoving.

13. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Twitter version (that actually shows all the action, not the weird cropping job they did for FB...

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I honestly don’t understand.

Are you saying you want a non-professional standard applied to a professional match then? If you are “confused” by the result, yet think the officiating is “cover your ass,” that seems to be the implication now.

I initially thought you genuinely felt people players needed to be sent off in this setting, not some other hypothetical one. So I was wondering if you saw something specific that got missed.

For the record, “body tossed into the net” isn’t violent conduct. I don’t think this is a question of television or even it being a professional match, though that does matter. There’s no obvious or egregious violent conduct here. In a 3-1 match when everyone walks away 30 seconds later without any injuries and players self-policing, a good referee can manage this and land the plane without calling attention to himself or applying a standard that no one else seems to want applied. Flashing one or two reds here isn’t good refereeing. If it was required by law, I’d be with you. But not every single instances of “afters” or “extracurriculars” is a capital offence.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very interesting offside VAR reversal in Dallas.

https://mls.app.link/NwUDdqgpsZ

I get it. I’d want to see another angle to be 100% this is correct. Movement alone can’t be enough to make a clear impact. And he’s not actually challenging him for the ball. So I think there has to be literal physical contact between the attacker in an OSP and the defender in question for this to be a true offside offence. I am pretty sure that’s what happened, so likely the right result. But that’s the sort of decision you never get without VAR.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What “hook?”

His left hand is open and he hits the back of the opponent’s neck with his palm. The opponent doesn’t react. Doesn’t really even flinch. In fact, all he does is keep on pushing his opponent. It’s not a punch.

I’m sorry, but are we looking for reds here and imbalance to satisfy some virtue we think should exist in the game?

It’s 3-1. The match is over. One player wanted to hold onto the ball (which he sort of has a right to do). An opponent confronted him physically and started things up (which is explicitly prohibited). Original player physically reacts some and a bunch of players gather. Two yellows is the right result. From a law perspective and a common sense perspective and from an advanced game management perspective. Sending off a CLB player here is over punishment and rewarding CIN misconduct in a match they’re losing 3-1 with no time left.

If there truly was a hook? Yes, definitely. Send the player off. But people are seeing things that didn’t happen. Again, just because 10+ players gather in the goal area to confront each other doesn’t mean a capital crime was committed. We can manage things, so we should. Don’t overreact based on appearances and a feeling of intensity. This is a two yellow card situation (again, stipulating that there was a third yellow card offence... so the odious “cover your ass” officiating, or match management, is to ignore that one for the sake of balance).

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Galaxy’s second goal... do we think the determination was there was no offside position or that the touch from the defender reset things?

https://mls.app.link/1G77VA3rsZ

18. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I assumed the defender deliberate play reset offside.

19. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was really well handled by Ford. He tried to get to the ball first (normally when this kind of thing happens, its bc the ref didn't anticipate it, but Ford obviously did). He came in hitting his whistle and even tried to physically separate the players (again, a gutsy move, and one not many other refs would try, but I like it). Then when more players joined he backed away for a better view. He stepped back in when the keeper started getting heated away from the ball, and diffused that. Then he came in at the end to show he was in charge. That was very well done. So when people say "he didn't do anything about it because he didn't send anyone off" they have it backwards. He didn't send anyone off because he was managed it very well.

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m saying that we all know professional referees are hamstrung to do things differently than what the laws really say.

As far as education goes for the vast majority of referees, which was the point of my post, because I still get people that don’t think that anything bad can happen from someone retrieving the ball. Showing what a professional referee does in a professional game isn’t always the right choice.

With regard to the body tosses, if your opinion is they aren’t VC then so be it. I see them differently. Having someone saved from getting chucked to the ground because there happened to be a net there doesn’t really look like anything other than excessive force and brutality to me.

There is no need for any of this to occur.

21. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Commentators never figured this out, but when it was live, I saw the deliberate header from the defender, and that's something that's not changed in Law 11 for at least 4-5 years now.

22. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lmao there are referees that still haven’t figured it out.

23. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    At 13-14 seconds, Chapman can be seen coming up to LAFC #25 pointing at him.

LampLighter, gaolin and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  24. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to the game a bit in my car on SiriusXMFC, via the LAFC broadcast, and the announcer was none too pleased with Zimmerman on that play. At least he understood what happened.

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then on the opposite side I see refs who will yell "defender" when the ball is blasted into them from five yards away and they make an instinctive motion with no reaction time.