2019 MLS Week 24 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by rh89, Aug 13, 2019.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh, somehow this incident had escaped me all these years.

drummer68 repped this.
  2. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
  3. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    thanks, i clearly can't interwebz late at night...

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Honestly I was surprised it was a red at first. Not because it doesn't deserve it, but because of the league that it's in.

5. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is most ridiculous red card reversal ever. I know that's a close contest, ...but at least with the other ones (I'm thinking of Unkle's or Baldomero's) there were (really bad) reasons given for overturning them. "Orlando's new here" or "Everyone knows Marshall's really a clean player in his heart of hearts." What in the world is the justification for over turning this one? That' kind of tackle should be a red card. Even in the free-for-all days of yester-year, that had a legitimate chance of getting sent. Even Jair might have shown red on that. That had injury potential all over it. Blahhh.

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As anticipated, PRO stayed silent here. Basically consistent with what they've done (not talking about non-reviews) but since there have been a couple exceptions, it's only "basically" consistent and not actually consistent.

I know that PRO has told referees this was a clear error and the VAR should have intervened. There's no angle that shows a touch on the ball that could plausibly be cited to justify non-intervention. It was just a straight miss--both on-field and then from the VAR.

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Webb actually did publicly admit as much to Doug Roberson of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

As an aside, newspaper names are extremely fascinating.