2019 MLS Playoffs Conference Semifinals Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Dayton Ref, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    10/23/19

New York City FC vs Toronto FC
    Citi Field (7PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Robert Sibiga
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Peter Manikowski

Seattle Sounders vs Real Salt Lake
    CenturyLink Field (10PM ET)
    REF: Alan Kelly
    AR1: Nick Uranga
    AR2: Kathryn Nesbitt
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

10/24/19

Atlanta United vs Philadelphia Union
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Ismail Elfath
    AR1: Corey Parker
    AR2: Kyle Atkins
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Thomas Supple

Los Angeles FC vs LA Galaxy
    Banc of California Stadium (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Christopher Penso
    VAR: Dave Gantar
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

2. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And @MassachusettsRef nails it.

rh89 repped this.
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair and transparent, I knew Wednesday's assignments when I wrote that. But I also would have 100% guessed those, as they were the most obvious given their absences in the first round. It did give me a leg up on guessing Thursday, though.

jarbitro, usaref and rh89 repped this.
  4. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Have NYCFC - Toronto on but not following closely. Too distracted by the god awful camera angle anyway....

Reminds me of MLS Cup last year. Why can’t they get the simple things right ?

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  5. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, getting a camera angle in a baseball stadium is really tough. The main press box is going to be closer to the corner of the field.

Now if you want to talk about why, after five seasons, a team is still having to choose between two baseball stadiums to hold a playoff game instead of having it's own stadium, that's a valid point and argument.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A playoff SFP red!

Granted, it was exactly the situation you'd expect it to happen, but hey.

rh89 repped this.
  7. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    https://streamja.com/O337

Everton goes to confront the player he almost cost the playoffs to no less than 3 times while that player is on the ground. Ok once, ref can't get there in time. The other two times Kelly should've been between them, Everton shouldn't get the opportunity to try and draw a revenge red so many times.

ChelseaSounder repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was ever a case for why MLS really needs to move toward the automatic multi-game suspension for a SFP red, that assault and battery disguised as a "tackle" needs to be it. Svensson is extremely lucky he walked away from that without a broken leg. I know Holden is probably sensitive to a play like that given what happened to him as a player, but I felt he was right on with his assessment. I'm also happy to see that Kelly wasted no time with the red card.

For Luiz to even try and stay near Svensson was just a stupid play. Even if he was trying to offer an apology, I don't blame any of the Sounders for wanting a piece of him there. I'm also very surprised that none of the supporters did anything more than just verbally go after Luiz as he walked to the tunnel (although that Sounders security guy may be having a conversation with the front office this morning . . .).

Ismitje and ChelseaSounder repped this.
  9. ChelseaSounder

Nov 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin Stott is always about 15 yards too far from the play.

10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2nd LAFC goal was really close. Maybe one of those where the 3d software in Europe can catch it but not with the technology MLS has.

AremRed repped this.
  11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    So many people on Twitter think the offside call wasn’t reviewed, just because Stott didn’t go over and take a look.

And some people are clearly looking at Vela, who’s certainly in an offside position but is not the recipient of the pass.

rh89 and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Mirepo

Mirepo Member

Nov 3, 2016
    I'm not sure this is correct nor has it been an issue at all in this game.

13. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    He's still crazy fast at his age, he's on something I know it!

14. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Any thoughts on an apparent (to me anyway) lack of VAR in the playoffs? Ive seen comments on here and theres been 4 penalty decisions in Union games that looked like a second look would have been warranted?

(Hand ball in first half of Union v Red Bull, clear pull on Picault in 2nd half of Union v Red Bull by Robles, clear push in the back of Elliott at a corner in game against Atlanta then 2 Pogba tackles that looked clumsy at best, but no replay at all by ESPN so maybe not those).

Sadly unlikely to be replays anywhere online but would the VAR have been told not to send any suggestions down?

15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rule #1 - Don’t go looking for Twitter to provide nuanced analysis of refereeing. As they say on The Dan LeBatard Show, only review “for entertainment porpoises only”. :)

Scrabbleship repped this.
  16. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d love to say that I really hope that I move as well a decade or so later when I’m at the age of Mike Dean and Kevin Stott, but I can’t because they move way better in their 50s then I do in my 40s! :)

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget the age issue. The comment was just stupid.

Watch where Stott is in the 90+1 and 90+2 minutes deep in LAFC’s attacking third. He’s mere yards away when most referees wouldn’t think to—or be able to—adjust their running to be so deep at that juncture in the match.

Stott is where he needs to be when he needs to be. Proximity for the sake of proximity is not a virtue. Does he have trouble selling his run-of-the-mill foul calls with the players? No.

RefIADad repped this.
  18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus it's now taught as correct positioning to be a third of the field (30 yards!) ahead of the ball in many situations. But whenever he needed to make a significant decision, he was right there.

19. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amount of seemingly otherwise well-informed soccer fans on Twitter who are positive that the second LAFC goal was offside because Vela was in an OSP at the time the ball was played to his teammate is a reminder that the vast majority of fans really don’t have a clue.

In a similar vein, I love reading all the commentary that EPL VAR would have got the actual decision right (which is allegedly ~1.5” offside). Meanwhile, anyone who watches EPL would be saying “did we really bring in VAR to get 1.5” offside decisions right?”

You truly can’t win.

SccrDon, jarbitro, rh89 and 3 others repped this.
  21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I'm pretty OK with not having technology in MLS that can call OS by an inch and a half . . .

RefIADad repped this.
  22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    And can we be sure the actual moment in which his teammate struck the ball was at that instant? Or could he have been two inches farther back, which mean he wasn't off?

23. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s almost like there is a margin of error with the technology that should be factored into whether there is clear enough evidence to overturn the call.

This play is the poster child for a VAR decision that is inconclusive, so the call on the field (whatever that call is) stands. If the leagues would just admit that there is a margin of error and stop trying to convince people that there isn’t 100% precision, the uproar against VAR may be lessened.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This logic still doesn't make any sense to me. Regardless of where you draw the line there's always going to be a margin of error.

"In order to compensate for the margin of error, anything within 6 inches will not be reviewed/overturned". Then the argument moves to "well that was really inside 6 inches so it shouldn't have been reviewed/overturned".

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've really become a fan of the frame before /frame after idea for offside VAR decisions. Only if all three frames support changing the on field decison was it clear enough to overturn.

IASocFan and AremRed repped this.