2019 MLS Jersey Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Darkwing McQuack, Nov 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Spinfyre1330

Spinfyre1330 Member

Seattle Sounders
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk about your Blues Clues Flashback.........! Oo

2. DJQuin81

DJQuin81 New Member

Atlanta United FC
    United States
    Jan 6, 2019
    New Atlanta United Kit finally leaked?

Attached Files:

3. TheEmperor14

TheEmperor14 BigSoccer Supporter

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has thew Champ star on it so it must be!

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    F***in piece of s***. Thin stripes suck a**. Don't change what ain't broke.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you would go buy a new one if the stripes were the same??

LainfordExpress repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have the money set aside for such. New ones have the star and my current one is showing a little wear.

Also don't like the lack of gold on the new one. Makes it all the more an AC Milan kit.

7. Portman Kunis United

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the only change in gold is the shoulder stripes, and they added a bit to the collar/cuff trim.

8. Spinfyre1330

Spinfyre1330 Member

Seattle Sounders
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately with this whole single entity deal with MLS and one kit supplier its only going to get worse. MLS needs to take the step and let teams sign a kit supplier of their choice and it would actually enable teams to have an identity with their gear

9. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Most teams have developed a pretty clear identity with the kits. Be it colours, symbols or patterns. I don't think that Montreal and Atlanta, both with striped kits, could be confused for one another.

What's really cookie-cutter is the GK, warmup and winter gear. Which, well, who cares.

10. Spinfyre1330

Spinfyre1330 Member

Seattle Sounders
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly had the stripe down the center then all of a sudden scrapped it. If the image is true and ATL went away from the 5 stripes then that's another, FC Dallas had the hoops and went away from that as well. (and no the 2 colors on their home kit now doesn't count as hoops)

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Those things happened (or may happen) but is that on adidas or on the teams? From what we've been told the teams have a lot of input on kit design.

CMeszt, Alejandro 10, mbar and 2 others repped this.
  12. Spinfyre1330

Spinfyre1330 Member

Seattle Sounders
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its all the former Adidas guy who works for the league now deciding all this stuff and his band of maybe 3 other people.

Turnover now for the jerseys are as little as half a week even less in some cases for planning. In the end the designer guy and his team send a design back and its basically whatever they send with little to no chance to adjust it at all.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You have this information? A link?

mbar repped this.
  14. Spinfyre1330

Spinfyre1330 Member

Seattle Sounders
    Jun 17, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #214 Spinfyre1330, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    There's no real link aside from a tidbit said at the Alliance Biz Meeting at the end of last year. (33:17)

I can expand more after our away kit drops, but lets just say it wasn't exactly what was pitched, much like the proposed "Carbon Fiber" design that the rave green was supposed to be as well

Unak78, mbar and Yoshou repped this.
  15. mls2atl

mls2atl Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like the "jock tag" is a gold state of Georgia with 17 inside of it.

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    OK. We'll see what comes out.

I'll be very interested to see if the Dynamo actually get a monochrome orange primary kit this year. We've had a primary kit of orange-white-orange for our entire history. That has been a pretty clear identity for our team for 13 years, all under adidas. I don't mind the introduction of black into our kits especially since our secondary shirts were mostly just white that we seldom wore and the black has certainly been a big seller, but I'd prefer that we keep the traditional look for most games.

17. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why they are cookie cutter.

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The jerseys are pretty cookie cutter as well, alas. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be where there would be just a couple of designs with the team colors applied, but considering I saw TFC fans taking potshots at the Chicago Fire for having a similar kit, it's still pretty prevelant.

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daaaaaaaaaaamn. I wasn't aware that the teams only had a couple of hours to review the jersey iteration and get back with proposed changes.. From previous comments in those meetings, I thought the teams had significantly more input than that. It sounds like the "input" is primarily the briefs that they submit at the beginning of the process, then Adidas disappears into a cave for a few months, throws out an almost completed design for the team to "review", then they make minor changes to that design...

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, we see the same sort of thing happen in other leagues where teams make their own deals. Its not the "single-entity" that causes this. Its not being a big enough seller for Adidas to care and/or the clubs wanting to do something different. First example that comes to mind (as a Rovers fan) was Blackburn a few years ago when the new owners decided to change the iconic arrangement of the blue/white halves. (It used to be that it was blue-white on the front and blue-white on the back, they went to blue-white front and white-blue on the back, leading to one half of the kit being all blue front and back and the other half being all white, instead of split). I didn't really care but damn did some fans make a big deal about it.

21. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It's also a question of "finding" your look. Sometimes you think something will work (ie FCD hoops) and when it doesn't, you move on.

And for the record, count the red stripes on the front of Atlanta's new kit. I'm pretty sure that's by design...

CMeszt and TheEmperor14 repped this.
  22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Lest I'm mistaken the new AU kit is, apart from a little gold trim, a rehash of the AC Milan kit, so I'm unsure if there was more design intent beyond that. At least with regard to the main body of the shirt.

Simply keeping the gold stripes on the shoulders would've gone a long way, IMO. Oh well. Hopefully the '21 release will be better.

23. TheEmperor14

May 31, 2011
    Down the road
    Club:
    Pohang Steelers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that any combination of Red/Black stripe will be seen as a version of the most iconic Red/Black stripe team in the world right? ACM has done so many versions that I don't think there is an option left.
    [​IMG]

Unak78, CMeszt, mbar and 2 others repped this.
  24. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I do, and as I've said from the start with all this that it's more a matter of a) my opinion that thin stripes in general are less appealing, b) the lack of gold to help distinguish Atlanta's jersey is a detriment.

I've no delusion that Atlanta's jersey was to remain untouched forever and I've prepared myself that as with most every other kit it will change over time. Some I'll love, some I'll loath, c'est la vie. I'm also not jumping down the throats of those that like this jersey. If they like it and it sells for AU then bully for them. I ain't standing in their way. This design simply strays further from what I like. Simple as.

As to the likeness with AC Milan - Again, we've known and accepted this from the start and understand that given the volume of teams and past kits over time that reuse of designs is inevitable. I've never claimed Atlanta's kit didn't borrow from others. I simply feel that lately Milan has been known more for thin stripes and I would rather Atlanta stick with the wider variety or go with more of a solid. That aspect and the more visible gold at least provided some difference.

I'm not simply hating or being ignorant of the business side of this equation, I just have a preference on the matter and that preference is for something different than the direction they chose. That AU didn't give me exactly what I hoped for won't end my day or my support, I'm simply voicing my tastes on their product. In the end I'll be there front row cheering like always. I'll just be doing so in last year's jersey.

Unak78 and TKyle repped this.
  25. Portman Kunis United

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shooting from the hip; hows this for more gold?

Attached Files:

edcrocker and GunnerJacket repped this.