PBP: 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Rd. 3: ATL vs. TOR

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Oct 29, 2019.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    This. It was painfully obvious we weren't playing balls to Pogba unless there was no other option. Even LGP was doing the "hit-and-hope" long ball on several occasions rather than pass to Pogba on his left.

Agree somewhat, although I think you're a bit harsh. Missing the PK was huge. Perhaps it's the Arsenal-supporting-fatalist in me, but right when Josef missed, I turned to my buddy and said "that's going to bite us." But yeah, late in the second, at least, I think FdB should've thrown on Meram.

Sucks that Toronto was rewarded for playing so negatively. But we're all savvy enough to know "that's football." I'll just have to take solace in the fact that Michael Bradley will still forever be known as the guy who didn't show up in T&T. Twat.

2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Which makes.me wonder if he should've taken the PK. I get it: He's your scorer, he's been ruled fit to play, so let him do his thing. But with PKs you naturally tense up more than in the flow of play and, as it may appear to have been the case, you become self conscious of your injury and what you might need to do to compensate. In other words he possibly thought about it too much.

I don't know. Just thinking out loud here.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Attendances

A. The concept that the interest has died down is a bit disingenuous, I feel. Settled in a bit, sure, but lest I'm mistaken the team has only failed to sell out the 42.5k for only 1 MLS match. That we don't push for more is business sense because the rate of return for the club is surely lower for the nosebleed seats. (Remember, opening those sections means more revenue but it also means more expenses, and I'm guessing those expenses are the same whether the team is charging AU prices or Falcons prices for tickets.)

B. The other big factor is the resale market. Now that AUFC tickets have bona fide value we're beset by scalpers and legit wholesale outlets. I'm guessing the first in line for new season tickets when they're available are those looking to make a buck rather than actually attend.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I've noticed that the seats themselves are not quite as full as they once were, or at least they don't look that way on TV. There were several empty seats at the USOC Final, tho the tickets may have been all sold. If they count the turnstiles, I bet they don't match the stated attendance closely.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We know from last year's MBS reporting that butts in the seats doesn't match tickets distributed, but that's the same everywhere these days. The former matters for atmosphere and match day concessions, the latter matters for team revenues. Whatever shortcomings we see in either are comparable small so I ain't panicking.

What does bother me is the high volume of people not in their seats during the match. I know restroom and concession lines are long and I don't want to take money out of our dear owner's hand considering all he's done for us, but there are way too many people in the stadium but not watching the match while it's going on! As if the match itself is merely part of being there for the whole scene. Not sure how to change that but I honestly believe that at any given moment during an AU match there are at least 2,000 people milling about the concession areas. Often more I'd wager.

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I know from last season and this USOC, there were that many taking in the amenities (bars, food, etc). Plenty watching the TVs as well. I'm wondering if this is an issue with new stadia in general that have all the bells and whistles. That 2000 number is a good call. I was trying to find Goose Island for their subs and pickled onions (I did not- I think they've moved or left) but I circled the whole 200 level. Took about ten minutes, and I'm sure I saw several hundred people

I remember reading an article several years ago, maybe decades ago, about how hockey has changed. It was outwardly about the Canadiens and the atmosphere at the Montreal Forum. It was written by a mature man, who remembered when the only time you'd see a lot of people under the stands was during the intermissions, when they took a smoke break.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    On the bright side, it means my time on the season ticket waiting list might not be in vain.

Over on FB the comments are amusing. Lots of hating on Josef, Frank, the ref, and the 'Atlanta Curse'.

8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And as my wife reminded me this morning, 'things could be worse, you have your health and you're not an Orlando City fan'. That blew me away because one, she barely follows sports, does it just to appease me, and two, she knew we no likey Orlando.

Eleven Bravo repped this.