News: 2019 Media, FO, and in season discussion thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You want an MLS writer then, not someone who covers DC United.

If you're "neutral" you can't slag on NJ and L.A. and I don't want to read you.

Maurer and Goff and Tenorio make a nice balance I think, plus we get some other nuggets and perspective from more local volunteer/blogger/podcast guys too - it's a big plus compared to the dark times in the 90s :D

dadman, Winoman and griffin1108 repped this.
  2. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Pablo wants to hide behind a pay wall then I will ignore him. I have no time for writers with that high of an opinion of themselves.

3. pats1237

pats1237 Member

Oct 28, 2006
    The District
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least he doesn't think so highly of himself that he's entitled to news for free.

dadman, ImNumberTen, sitruc and 7 others repped this.
  4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    entitled?? no what happens in the world is free to everyone. just look out your window.

welcome to the ignore button, you and Pablo.

5. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    If you're not the customer, you're the product.

sitruc, Cavan9, Dizi and 1 other person repped this.
  6. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love your philosophy. lol

7. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Do you subscribe to newspapers, magazines, cable or streaming services? They are all paywalls. The Athletic essentially is an online version of what Sports Illustrated and ESPN used to be. The Athletic was Paul Tenorio for soccer (with a Chicago emphasis) and Tarik al-Bashir for hockey (with a Capitals emphasis). I'm glad those guys are getting paid for their work. I certainly liked to get paid for mine before I retired.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1433 shawn12011, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020

I do not subscribe. I am not asking others not to. I make choices for myself only, regarding paywalls.

Almost every other newspaper in this country that makes you pay for their content gives you up to 5 free articles a month. But NO!! Not the Athletic, they are just that great that you should know how great they are and pay for their content. Well I will never pay them one red cent. The two and half paragraphs they show from every article have never proven to be worthy of paying for.

9. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    But the site that gives you free content is going to
    a) serve ads
    b) collect information about you
    c) sell that information about you to potentially nefarious agents

That's the modern economy.

(I don't subscribe to the Athletic. And they might do B and C for all I know, but they shouldn't.)

dadman, sitruc, Dizi and 2 others repped this.
  10. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Man’s gotta eat. Your call but ITs worth it for me.

dadman, ImNumberTen, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  11. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I would keep in mind that those news paper's that offer a little bit of free content are posting dozens of articles a day and covers a broad variety of topics. The Athletic is the sports section for all intent and purpose and might only publish 2-3 articles a week for a given team. Given the current nature of our economy and the way in which content is valued, its a different ball game. As others have noted, those free to view or partially free to view are collecting a lot data, selling a lot of ads that collect even more data and probably selling that data. I don't know that The Athletic isn't selling the analytics data they collect for a site visit, but my guess is that their scale isn't large enough to get them much revenue for it, but I don't trust anyone with my data.

12. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you don't want anyone to have your data, don't post on BigSoccer or, for that matter, don't use the internet. Big Brother is here already and his name is Mark Zuckerberg. Roll with it. The best defense is to live honestly and be basically the same person you are in real life as you are on the net.

13. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    You really can't escape Mark Zuckerberg. Facebook, via their advertising platform, has collected data on every person/device that has surfed the web. I've got an email account that I use for shopping and online accounts that is separate from my real life, that and an incognito browser is about all you can do.

tallguy repped this.
  14. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good thing I'm 6'4" with a chiseled bod and use my 140 IQ to feed the poor and develop new forms of renewable energy. The rest of you must be so embarrassed!

It isn't even Zuckerberg any more, it's the algorithms. Take free news sites. How many times have the headlines on CNN or MSNBC or FOX changed as you watched? The stories are mostly written with a semblance of journalistic integrity. The headlines, however, rarely reflect the tone of the stories accurately. They're designed to get you, specifically, to feel something. The result is one of three things: 1) You think you know what the story's about and you don't click because you despise it, putting another mark in your "stupid liberals/conservatives" box. 2) You think you know what the story's about and you don't click specifically so you can move on to feeling smug about it, putting another mark in your "affirms my biases" box. or 3) You actually read it.

3 is at least useful, even if you got there under false pretenses, but 1 and 2 are a big reason why we are as divided a nation as we are. Throw in offering and ordering stories based on how likely you are to be interested in them rather than how important they are for you to read based on principled editorial decision making, and you begin to get a clearer accounting of the price of "free" news.

dadman and shawn12011 repped this.
  15. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dadman repped this.
  16. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    According to that blurb, all games are on NewsChannel 8 or whatever it calls itself right now. No games on WJLA. It's better than FloSports, but to quote John Oliver, "it's a shit sandwich with guac." Not available for non-cable subscribers (both cord cutters and those using over the air antennas). Notice also that part of the cable line ups only have NewsChannel 8 in SD. Thankfully, there is ESPN+ and VPN.

sitruc repped this.
  17. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even the Chicago fire have a better TV deal than us.

Eastern Bear repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Maybe they're actually getting money out it this time.

19. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt it. The whole reason they went with Flo last time is because Flo was offering obscene money.

Dizi and Winoman repped this.
  20. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This was probably the best option for DC United. It doesn't work for me because my cable provider doesn't carry WJLA 24/7.

22. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Even for people who have the channel, this isnt great. Standard definition. No replays or any content at all. Just games.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A) Some people do get it in HD. Like me.

B) DVR the bloody game if you can't watch it live.

C) They're doing pre- and post-game shows and have talked about behind the scenes stuff. What more do you want?

Winoman repped this.
  24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The HD feed they claim they show, on the HD channel is NOT HD. At least with my cable. Its horrible quality. (Fios)

25. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    When we had Fios, and later Comcast, Channel 8 was something below HD, but somewhere better than standard 420. Maybe 720p which "looks" like HD on some TVs.

benni... repped this.