2019 HOT SEAT

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by allovercollegesoccer, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Sockers1

Sockers1 Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Really looks like North Texas is dominating this conference year in and year with the hardware!

2. Sockers1

Sockers1 Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  3. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Any whispers at all where Rice may look? Too bad they get put in this position now instead of a few months ago. Sucks for them.
    Does it make it easier or harder for them to find someone now that they might have the most attractive opening left on the board as most all the dominoes have been placed upright going into spring 'season'?
    Would a Power 5 asst be interested?

4. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Far and away best job on the board left. Inheriting a program two years removed from a NCAA at-large appearance in a fairly winnable, but also competitive league in a very nice part of a top-4 population city in the USA...if you can get over the humidity, traffic, and potential for hurricanes it's a pretty dang great place to live. Academic reputation helps you recruit nationally, but also have a plethora of talent in your backyard and in-state.

Nice set-up. Fully-funded, and the program gets 6 commits through admissions each year/per recruiting class (regardless of their academic background like GPA and ACT/SAT) so they can still early-recruit and be assured of admission. Then they can fill remaining roster spots with high-academic kids. No pressure to keep more than 24 on the roster, either.

You can have high quality of life in a serious job that could lead as NA did to a P5 job and big pay-day if you're successful.

I do think it becomes easier this time of year to identify serious applicants, though the pool is probably smaller than in November or December. Still, seems like they should be able to find some very quality applicants, as it is a top-level Group of 5 job.

5. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I love the way people assume a power 5 assistants will automatically make a good head coach.

A 3 year old could recruit to the likes of a Stanford, UNC, UCLA, Duke, USC, Penn State...etc... Those kids aren't choosing based off of the coach recruiting them, it's 99% has to do with the school name.

6. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    because 99% of AD's will look for Power 5 experience

7. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Correct.....but we all know especially when it comes to soccer, AD's couldn't recognizes their ear hole from their asshole!

Footyballs and WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  8. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I think the Rhode Island coach who came from Wake, and Miller who was at OH State as an assistant and took the job at Pitt show that route isn’t always successful for an administration.

Rice won’t have a shortage of quality candidates. There may even be a couple of good in state head coaches at mid major programs that would be good hires there.

9. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Holeman?

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  10. SoIdontgetfined

SoIdontgetfined New Member

May 13, 2016
    FILLED
    Louisiana Lafayette – Lance Key (Texas 2nd Asst)
    Idaho State - Debs Brereton (Ohio Associate HC)
    Seton Hall – Ciara Crinon (Hartford Associate HC)
    UTEP – Kathryn Balogun (Texas Southern HC)
    Iona – Todd Plourde (Yale Asst)
    Wofford – Emily Grant (Georgia Southern Associate HC)
    Oregon State – Matt Kagan (Mississippi State Associate HC)
    Indiana – Erwin Van Bennekom – (Duke Associate HC)
    Stetson – Chris Bergmann (VMI HC)
    Central Michigan – Jeremy Groves (Kentucky Volunteer Asst)
    UIC – Tom Anagnost (Mississippi State HC)
    North Florida - Eric Faulconer (North Florida Asst)
    UWGB – Jason Spain (D2 Minot State HC)
    Yale – Brendan Faherty (Stonybrook HC)
    Loyola – Joe Mallia (Navy Asst)
    Boston College – Jason Lowe (Wake Forest Associate HC)
    Mississippi State – James Armstrong (Auburn Associate HC)
    Stony Brook – Tobias Bischof (Hofstra Associate HC)
    Eastern Kentucky – Matt Cosinuke (Cincinnati GK Coach)
    Jackson State – Ted Flogaites (Arkansas Pine Bluff HC)
    VMI – Chris Haught-Thompson (D3 Knox College HC)
    Syracuse – Nikki Adams (Rice HC)
    Texas Southern – Lindsay Vera (UNCA HC)

OPEN
    Northern Arizona –
    Arkansas Pine Bluff –
    Nicholls State –
    UNCA –
    Rice –

11. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Anyone have any take on UNC-A? Vera was there about 9 months and apparently wanted to be back in Texas. Is there anything to like about Asheville? Smallish state school. Big South, no football. Is there enough budget/commitment there to be successful?

12. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    I think salary range will hold most "established" coaches back from this job. It will most likely be an assistant just like LV taking the job. It's a beautiful place, and could attract decent talent to compete in that conference with a coach that knew what they were doing. It'll come down to $$$

13. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Expensive to live and underpaying job in a poor conference. Plus lack of support in most sports outside of hoops. Tough gig.

14. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Would be a good hire, and I know he is always game to throw his hat in the ring...was deep in the process (if not offered the job) at UTSA last year. Have to imagine he has his sights set on a P5 straight away after rebuilding Lamar, having already led 3 SEC teams. There's also some that think he's content in Beaumont, and I wonder if Rice fits his niche or not. Granted he didn't always recruit Jucos and internationals, but he certainly has lately. Sepaks to his adaptability as a recruiter.

I wonder if any assistants or even other C-USA HC's would jump. DD, the Assoc HC at UNT has been called over the years for some mid-level jobs like NMSU and Austin Peay, don't know if he'd be in the mix here, but certainly checks a lot of boxes. Not sure if the SFA staff would be interested in that move, and that's all just regional. Job should get a fair amount of national attention.

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  16. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

My guess is that this is an established program that wanted to hire a female. I don’t think this is a terrible hire by any means but there were some decent mid major head coaches looking at the job

17. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    This move could have been done months ago, and I don't buy the "90 applicants" nonsense to make their hire justified. Look, I get the marketing end of this, but I had a few friends dragged through this process for apparently just a dog & pony show. No harm, no foul I guess...good luck!

18. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Agree with the sentiment expressed here. Among the biggest lies in college sports is when the press release says "after a national search, we've found our perfect candidate right here on campus"
    If you want to promote the assistant, then do it. That decision has merit and can be the best solution. But to raise a committee and bring folks to campus over the course of weeks to then hire the assistant is just plainly disingenuous. If the assistant wasn't good enough to promote at the start of the process, how are they at the end?? Did NAU just say, "we tried to do better, but we just couldn't so you get the job?" That's a rousing endorsement!

19. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    While that would obviously be the cleanest way to do it, it’s not always the legal way to do it. Sometimes the law necessitates jerking people around.

20. sockerdad06

sockerdad06 Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Hold up - this is an Ignorant Post. Those 6 schools are still competing for the top kids..... yes they can find a dozen kids a year to commit easy - but that isn't the goal. the goal is find the right kids who will fit in with your scheme and then convince them to commit to you rather than one of those other schools mentioned.

the ignorance of some is astonishing

21. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Sockerdad06, 1. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. 2. So If I was wrong and ignorant then why hasn’t these coaches been able to work there recruiter magic when switching to head coaching job; Greg Miller, Nicole Van Duke, Billy Lesesne, Amy Berbary, Wes Hart, Jon Morgan and the list could go on and on.

22. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for showing us you have 2 accounts.

23. SuperSoccer1978

Barcelona
    Nov 24, 2011
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Ooooooooo you got me! I had use the house computer because the wife is using my ipad, who knows what for ..pinterest most likely. But yes I'm the only person on this fourm with 2 accounts.....well done Columbo

24. oneofnine

oneofnine Member

Nov 21, 2011
    "yet he still sees his program as residing on a tier below the likes of Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky."
    "That club still selects more than it recruits" - Tom Izzo

He was commenting about whether those 4 schools mentioned "recruit" or "select" players. Yes I know, it's basketball, there are differences, blah-blah. The point is similar to the point made earlier that to some degree a program gets to a certain level and recruiting becomes more about selecting players. Yes I know - they are indeed competing against one another in that small circle - so that is also an accurate point to make. However, there is merit in stating that certain programs will attract a certain level of player regardless of who the assistant/HC is. Thus substantiation for the point made with regard to assistants moving on to HC positions and not having the same success in the recruiting arena.

ytrs repped this.
  25. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #125 Holmes12, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    this!! thank you!! I've been saying this forever. The only coach who could possibly transcend the school and environs in recruiting is Dorrance. And his celebrity is debatable. I'd love to see him at Pitt or Syracuse, see what happens. I still think he ultimately drowns. There is no personal "recruiting", its if your school is the the best available stuff.

In rev sports, it's basically the same, the coach is irrelevant but the criterion is different. The coach doesn't recruit or sell himself, it's how many in the NFL or NBA and who else have you recruited at my position? That how K has an unfair advantage, coaching NBA guys for the national team. Then he gets to say, you know, I'm a hybrid NBA coach. That's how he's trumped Calipari. Lebron running around singing his praises as "his coach", he should be stripped of that job.