2019 HOT SEAT

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by allovercollegesoccer, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    True, but I think we'd agree lawsuits back then about this kind of thing didn't matter nearly as much to the board of trustees, donors, etc as they do now - powerful people outside Athletics who care primarily about how such things look and play in media. UNC Wilmington fired a successful coach last year, even after a lengthy investigation turned up no wrongdoing and in fact exposed his accuser as a serial fraudster, presumably just because the school didn't like the way it looked or the media attention it received.

I've also wondered if the UNC stuff would be brought up again, but presumably the settlements preclude that, at least with the original accusers.

2. MotorBob

MotorBob Member

Oct 24, 2007
    This post shows the ACC in steady decline from being the clear #1 conference. It would seem the league expansion several years ago is the problem. Were the new ACC teams Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, & Miami?

If so, Syracuse getting better should be important to the other ACC coaches.

Did other conference additions move them up?

1. Here are the ACC's conference standings since 2007 (which is as far back as my data go), according to the only data (average ARPI) the Women's Soccer Committee is allowed to look at:

2007 #1
    2008 #1
    2009 #2
    2010 #1
    2011 #1
    2012 #1
    2013 #1
    2014 #4
    2015 #1
    2016 #2
    2017 #2
    2018 #3

3. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Miami was in prior to the realignments. Notre Dame came in and then Louisville, Pitt, & Syracuse a year later. SEC has been stronger than usual the past two years in an RPI sense.

4. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    What's the story at UNA?

5. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well as there is nothing out there about UNA, you might as well fill us in with what you've heard.

6. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Honestly, I was asking. I have no insight at all. I was just wondering what the hold up might be. It's been open for a while, yes?

7. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Oooooh you mean NAU....... UNA is North Alabama.

8. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    OOPS, there you go it's Monday again!

9. Westcoastbias

Westcoastbias New Member

Jan 9, 2019
    Rumblings in Houston that the Rice coach didnt take take the Syracuse job. Now the admins need to just give it to the asst. It is embarassing that NOBODY wants this job

10. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    Seems pretty tainted now

11. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing Northern Arizona will be announced very soon.

12. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017

Sounding like the assistant

13. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Saw where Portland has posted yesterday they are in search of an assistant coach. Maybe the head coach for Northern Arizona is coming from Portland.

14. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Too bad for Syracuse then if she turned it down. Nicky has done well at Rice and has a good resume there. Actually got a mid major to get an at large bid which is very difficult. At least Syracuse looked at a good candidate which can’t be said of others they looked at.

The debacle at Syracuse goes on then. And probably takes a hiatus for a bit given the recent terrible news regarding Jim Boeheim. The crazy thing is could the Syracuse debacle happen again somewhere else? I don’t think it could given the ineptitude of the administration there over how all of this has been handled (almost 4 months!). But I think if an athletics program is dead set on hiring a female this shows how difficult it can be to get a serious and well qualified woman candidate. Obviously interest in the job and area plays a big part.

According to this grading method of female head coaches represented at different Division I programs: http://www.cehd.umn.edu/tuckercente...ad_Coaches_Comprehensive_NCAA_D-I_2017-18.pdf
    there were eight Division I programs with an “F” grade: Syracuse, West Virginia, Missouri, Kentucky, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas. All of these departments have a male coach for women’s soccer except WVU (and of course Syracuse has had no head coach since late October). If any of these male coaches left those mentioned programs how many of them would do what Syracuse did and look strictly at females. As shown by Syracuse that won’t be easy. Yes Lexington and an SEC program that had success not too long ago under Jon Lipsitz would be a more desirable scenario for many over a bottom dweller in the difficult ACC. Many on this forum have spoken of Kentucky for next year. Will be interesting to see if they will limit themselves to females and if they have issues to find a qualified female with legitimate interest in the position, and anyone else for that matter that goes the female only route.

15. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Don’t forget Santa Clara. I can’t be the only one to find this “grading” ridiculous.

16. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, false alarm on my part. Yes, a U of Portland assistant coach position is open, but from what I've seen today it's for perfectly good reasons not related to coaching.

17. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Maybe Mary Frances Monroe will get herself another ACC gig in upstate New York.

18. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I’m hearing Nicky Adams to Syracuse is a done deal.

19. MotorBob

MotorBob Member

Oct 24, 2007
    The men at Syracuse had some great years. Adams looks like a top coach and a positive hire.

20. Lord Kril

Lord Kril Member

Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Jul 3, 2018
  21. Wildcatter

Wildcatter Member

Sep 9, 2018
    well at least they finally hired someone! Best of luck to Nicky. Thats going to be a tough gig

22. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    The only thing Syracuse gets a failing grade at here is the time it took to fill the position. She would have been a great hire from the start of the process, and to get her to take it at this stage represents pulling the rabbit out of the hat.

23. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    SO who will be the front runners for the Rice job? Nicky Adams is leaving the next person in a decent spot.

24. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Shows what I know. Good hire for Syracuse, especially at this point. She was probably one of the top female candidates with success at the mid major level willing to make the Power 5 jump. Worked out in the end.
    Administration at Syracuse probably set a record with how long it took to make a hire. Any poor processes in the future (Kentucky could be in for this if they look just the female route as well next year) will be judged against this one. Don't think as inept a process will occur but who knows. Good luck to Adams and her staff. They have to get recruits in for 2020 and 2021 pronto as well as of course following after that. Anyone hear how long the contract was? She should have been given a minimum of 5 years as that rebuild is going to take a while.

WACySOCCERWORLD repped this.
  25. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adams must be a great person and get along with other teams' staffs, as she's getting compliments. Looking at Rice over time, it's not as clear as the comments seem to make it. I hope she does really well at Syracuse. But it makes me wonder about how objective comments here are.