2019 HOT SEAT

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by allovercollegesoccer, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I wouldn't make any assumptions just yet. Some years ago, St. Francis advertised her job and it turned out to be required as a condition of her Visa renewal. She's a Dutch National and not married. Saw her out this weekend working for Region 1 ODP as usual. but you never know I guess.

2. Red_devil99

Red_devil99 New Member

United
    United States
    May 20, 2018
    So has LSU just put their hire on back burner? Or are they going with AHC as interim? I know they have a mess to deal with on the basketball side but it’s been a while now.

3. dksintheflo

dksintheflo New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 7, 2019
    Thanks for the report. For what it’s worth, the school hired a new AD starting 2015-2016. Almost every coach there post-dates that AD’s hiring. Their athletics page has two sports for which no head coach is listed (W soccer and W swim).

Based on my exposure to her, I’d be surprised if she were let go. Terrific coach.

4. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    So apparently under the new AD they restarted the process entirely from scratch. They were speaking with a sitting P5 HC from out of conference as recently as a week or two ago. Many of us thought it was a done deal and have been waiting for the announcement, but apparently that, too, has hit a snag.

5. MFF1910

MFF1910 Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I know her a little bit, respect what she’s done and the teams she’s put out. Wasn’t thinking she was let go, curious to see if she made a step up, certainly one that would be deserved if she so desired.

6. dksintheflo

dksintheflo New Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Jun 7, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. My levels of exposure and respect are similar. I am keen to learn more. If anyone hears anything, please post!

7. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Always felt her teams were solid and well coached whenever we played them. There are no coaches listed on their roster currently.

dksintheflo repped this.
  8. sokarcrazy

sokarcrazy Member

Dec 19, 2005
    What’s going on at Weber State?

9. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Their Former Head Coach is the interim AD now. I think he’s a legitimate candidate (or thinks he is) for the full time position. Assistant Coach will serve as Interim for Fall. My guess is will have a good chance to be promoted if the interim AD retains the job, they worked together a long time.

That was the last update I heard, unless anything has changed in last two weeks or so

10. SoccerTrustee

SoccerTrustee Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Still nothing at LSU?! At this point will they just make an assistant the interim head? Preseason starts in 7 weeks. Not to speak of important recruiting events between DA and ECNL and regionals coming up here shortly too.

11. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  12. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    After reading through the article at the second link and another article that was linked from that article ( https://www.click2houston.com/news/...-endure-punishment-workout-that-led-to-rhabdo ), Bocanegra sounds as good as done.

What's interesting is that when this all initially came about, Bocanegra stated something along the lines of "Bowens does not work with the soccer team any longer..." He seemed to be putting the blame for this on Bowens and it seems to me that Bocanegra is at fault. If Bowens' termination was found to be wrongful, UH may be on the hook for more liability in that regard. Bowens worked closely with the UH men's track team (one of the best men's track teams in the NCAA, fwiw) and two of the coaches, former world class sprinters Carl Lewis & Leroy Burrell, were none too happy with his firing.

13. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    That is a coach on a power trip. He doesn't understand what it means to be a coach and leader.

14. WACySOCCERWORLD

Jan 28, 2014
    When he was hired a lot of people ranted and raved about this incredible hire...well, it seems he's shown his true colors hasn't he!

15. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I am not sure who would say this is an incredible hire. He hadn't really done anything. And it still might be.

From what the article reports the kids had to do up downs and planks. Punishing the players with fitness is bad now? There are always 2 sides to every story. It maybe really bad. But based on the incredibly limited facts from the articles, I am not sure what to think. Sensationalist reporting these days makes it difficult to make up fro down.

HouseofCards repped this.
  16. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    I am basing my opinion off his owns words. His email. Not accusations. His admissions.

17. MotorBob

MotorBob Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I don't think "2 sides to every story" applies when multiple instances of rhabdo occur under one watch in such a short time span. I have followed college soccer since the late 70's and never heard of rhabdo (or anything like it) until now.

18. PlaySimple

PlaySimple Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #268 PlaySimple, Jun 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    It was never suggested that punishing players with fitness is "bad." Pushing a dozen athletes to the point that they develop rhabdomyolisis, a life-threatening condition, is bad. That many athletes don't spontaneously develop rhabdomyolysis at the same time. The coach should be fired.

You're right about their being two sides to every story. That's why an investigation was done.

ytrs repped this.
  19. allovercollegesoccer

Dec 12, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  20. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  21. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I guess I don't get it. What's wrong with hiring her?

Fitballer repped this.
  22. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    So has she been coaching for the past three years and if so where? It does not say anything about her after 2016. Why not make the assistant who is there the interim and has been there since every kid on the team has arrived on campus? When this job re-opens after the season this becomes a much less attractive job than it was, which was already pretty bad based on the handling. Taking over an SEC program that will essentially being skipping the 2021recruiting class. Wonder how BL looks now to that administration.

23. Soccerguy1022

Soccerguy1022 Member

Manchester City
    United States
    Nov 28, 2018
    She was coaching club in the area and doing SEC broadcasting but was the AHC for a long time there. Easy, lazy college hire.

24. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    As opposed to your much better (unnamed) candidate?

25. PoetryInMotion

Feb 7, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It was their last and only choice. It was not a female hire for females sake, it was a last minute oh crap hire, need to bring in someone who’s qualified/experienced, located nearby, familiar with the program, and most importantly okay with essentially being caretaker manager for the next 5-6 months until a permanent successor is named after another search process in November/December. Who knows with this admin, maybe they’ll hire her outright.

I’ll say this though, not the splash you want for an AD making his first hire on the job. Then again with basketball and some new booster controversy (see: stealing from children’s hospitals) maybe a proper hire is THAT far down the priority list. All I know is they didn’t consider the P5 AHC that they had lined up under previous AD, and they did consider at least one sitting P5 HC.