2019 Gold Cup Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, May 17, 2019.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full appointments here:

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/78d35...a8-529ef820a8b3/19_GC_Referees_List_final.pdf

Now that it's a 16 team tournament, 31 matches spread among 16 referees isn't quite as ridiculous as 25 spread among 17. That said, some interesting points:

The big one is no VAR. This is likely the last major senior international tournament you will ever see without VAR. Given the two biggest audiences (US & Mexico) have grown accustomed to the presence of VAR as have several of the officials selected, that could prove jarring.

Second, Elfath, Parker and Atkins will be in Poland for the U20 WC, potentially through June 15th. So the three of them are looking at potentially three full months off from MLS when you factor in the U17 CONCACAF event that just happened. Fernando Guerrero of Mexico is looking at a similar summer workload, but not his ARs.

That leads to two additional points... Elfath/Parker/Atkins seems to clearly be an established trio. If there is a race between Elfath and Villarreal for the next trio after Marrufo's, Elfath seems to be winning at this moment.

Also, Mexico is only sending two ARs with three referees. That seems strange.

No @coreyrock . Must be taking a break.

Al Jassim of Qatar is there with his trio, so the AFC-CONCACAF exchange continues.

No Canadian referee, which isn't terribly surprising given Fischer is at the WWC as a VAR, but disappointing for Gantar.

A big surprise in all this is the lack of Cesar Ramos from Mexico. He's 36 years old, just did a World Cup knockout match in Russia last summer, and seems to clearly be Mexico's #1. And there are no other tournament obligations for him. Does anyone know if he's injured? Otherwise this is something to keep an eye on. So is the lack of Ricardo Montero, from Costa Rica, who also was at Russia 2018 and is only 33.

The biggest surprise of all, though, is the lack of Joel Aguilar. An era is over.

jarbitro repped this.
  2. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Ramos didn’t pass the physical.

He worked the 2019 Asian Cup as part of that exchange.

YoungRef87 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    To be clear, the fitness test. CONCACAF ran it in Tampa earlier this month.

4. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Yeah, the list of Canada's "top" officials in 2019 isn't great reading. Not sure there is a clear choice that can replace Joe Fletcher as a World Cup-quality AR. Fischer and Ganter are the only two FIFA referees now since Silviu Petrescu retired and I honestly couldn't tell you if any national ref is close to getting called up.

Those two aren't getting any younger — Fisher is nearly 40 and Ganter is mid-40s. For comparison, the US has two or three guys born after 1980 and Australia (who I would say is fairly similar to Canada in many ways) has five or six.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever the next Canadian MLS referees are will be FIFA. Rudolf and Barrie are probably the closest to getting there, but as you imply, it doesn’t look to be a speedy ascent.

Also, Australia hosts a domestic league that has some international credibility. No offense intended, but you’re more like New Zealand if we are making a fair comparison from a soccer standpoint. Population is different, of course.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding Canadian officials, what happened to Mathieu (sp?) Boudreau? He did a US-Cuba friendly. He was also a MLS referee a few years ago. He was in the middle when I attended a Fire-Timbers match in 2016, and I thought he did a really good job. Even my wife, who doesn't really follow the referees, thought he did really well. He definitely fell off the map.

Given the CPL, WWC, and MLS, Canadian referees are stretched really thin. Could be a good opportunity for some young officials in both Canada and the US to gain good experience.

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He retired. Whether it was because of age or because he wasn't getting the assignments, I don't know.

8. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Rudolf and Barrie may be the closest, but neither are doing any PRO right now. I've only ever seen them do the occasional 4O or VAR. Hard to believe either would go international without being involved in PRO semi-frequently.

And you're right, NZL is a much better comparison. which makes Canada look even worse as NZL have three FIFA referees and two in their early to mid-thirties.

9. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada didn't have a top league up until this year. The league will allow for new referees to move up the ranks and gain more experiences

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The verdict is out on that. USL opportunities for Canadian officials are going to be just as—and likely more—important.

11. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There's plenty of refs in lower tiers that will be given opportunities in CPL. Doesn't have to be "one or the other", the point is expanding the pool of experienced referees

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada : Martinique
    Referee: Said MARTINEZ (HON)

Assistant Referee 1: Walter LOPEZ (HON)
    Assistant Referee 2: Helpys FELIZ (DOM)
    Fourth Official: José KELLYS (PAN)

Mexico : Cuba
    Referee: John PITTI (PAN)

Assistant Referee 1: Christian RAMIREZ (HON)
    Assistant Referee 2: Henri PUPIRO (NCA)
    Fourth Official: Keylor HERRERA (CRC)

13. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Anyone watching the Canada Martinique game..opinions?

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    80’ of Canada - Martinique, offside flag denies a goal for Canada. Despite what the announcers said, I’m certain it was a bad flag. First situation I’ve seen where VAR would have led to a different result. Of course it would have been 5-0, so no one seems to care.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought his early handling of the two misconduct situations was great. Been watching only off and on since then, but he looks better than he did at the U20s.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do CONCACAF referees not use spray in non-FIFA competitions? Feels like the Stone Age out there...

17. bothways

bothways Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I was watching the first half in a bar ... wasn’t sure if he missed giving a red card for what I thought was sfp..stamping on the foot

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They at least have comms right lol?

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Haiti : Bermuda
    Referee: Daneon PARCHMENT (JAM)

Assistant Referee 1: Kedlee POWELL (JAM)
    Assistant Referee 2: Zachari ZEEGELAAR (SUR)
    Fourth Official: Ismael CORNEJO (SLV)

Costa Rica : Nicaragua
    Referee: Marco ORTIZ (MEX)

Assistant Referee 1: Miguel HERNANDEZ (MEX)
    Assistant Referee 2: Caleb WALES (TRI)
    Fourth Official: Diego ROBLES (MEX)

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica : Honduras - MARRUFO (USA)
    Curaçao: El Salvador - LOPEZ (GUA)

Cant have a better first round assignment for Marrufo—that was pretty much expected without Ramos at this tournament. He has the Anderson brothers on the lines.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what it’s like for Marrufo to do a match without VAR now.

22. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a fan at all of these Savi referee kits when they are any color but gray, but the gray kits aren’t too bad.

23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first Jamaica goal was maybe-probably offside?

Old days, that gets a "close enough." But in the VAR era that's allegedly an objective decision and on the one look available, I lean offside.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of a caution for the foul that led to the head injury right at the end of 74' was an interesting choice. On the one hand, Marrufo has the game so well in hand that it's not "necessary" for match management. On the other, it's a high boot with studs exposed that leads to a head injury, so, you know, it's sort of supposed to be a caution for a reckless kick.

Five years ago I'd say Marrufo was refereeing this like it was an MLS match. Today, I might be more accurate in saying he's reffing this like he's at the World Cup. Either way, he's done well. That one incident is my only quibble and the first goal is not his call (and not necessarily wrong). Other than that, he's managed things very well and has been very well positioned for the penalty shouts. This is another good performance.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was watching on a bit of a delay. Kind of a choppy end, though. Still think it was very good overall.