2019 FSU

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Least Coast Bias

Least Coast Bias Red Card

LAFC
    Uzbekistan
    Dec 11, 2018
    He definitely gets more right than wrong but his transfer rate is pretty bad.

2. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Just looking forward to 19.
    I was looking at the losses of the top teams.
    UCLA was the youngest of all the top teams. Don't think they lost a starter.
    Stanford loses 4 starters and one key backup. They reload with 5 stars, but may take a small step back.
    USC loses 2 starters from a deep team.
    UNC loses 4 starters and maybe 1 backup from a team that regularly plays 18 or so. I read on their thread that maybe Jesse Scarpa comes back, but she's listed as a RS Sr.
    Georgetown loses 3 starters and 1 backup.
    Penn State loses 5 starters by my count, but they do have a great 'croot class coming in.
    FSU loses 2 starters and a couple of key backups. May also lose CC winning backup GKer. Was a RS Jr. Deyna coming back is always a question, so it could be 3 starters.

UNC has the depth to absorb their losses IMO. Same with Stanford. FSU should easily absorb their losses; as well as USC.
    Not sure PSU and GU can absorb those losses as easily.
    UCLA doesn't have losses to absorb, so it looks to me like the same suspects again.
    As the defending champion, FSU should go in #1, but as Stanford can attest, that is a lofty perch that is hard to hold onto. I expect USC, UCLA, UNC and Stanford to all have something to say about that.
    I do expect USC and UCLA to upend Stanford at the top of the PAC 12.
    With the 2 ACC powers, that means 5 power teams competing for 4 spots. Of course, some other team, ala GU will undoubtedly have something to say about that.

My way too early CC picks are
    FSU
    UNC
    USC
    UCLA

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    UCLA loses a few big ones in Mace and Hernandez

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    You are correct. Don’t know how I overlooked that. Don’t you get tired of being right :)
    Still think with all their recruits they should be a contender for final four

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  5. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No doubt. They are still stacked. And I’m not always right....my wife reminds me of that every day

socalsoccer23 repped this.
  6. Least Coast Bias

LAFC
    Uzbekistan
    Dec 11, 2018

Looks right but I would replace USC with Stanford. Davidson and Smith were gone for most of the season and Dom and Wesley will slide right in as starters and they will lose little. Don't expect Bossiere to be back for Stanford but without Pruitt the Southern California offense won't be nearly as effective. The loss of Prisock is going to cripple the Trojans as they don't have a replacement and might have to resort to putting Jacobs on defense.

Didn't UCLA play most of the season without Mace? I would think that the blue chip attackers that they have coming in would more than make up for that.

FSU looks to still be the team to beat if they can replace Kuikka. Their top two recruits will slide in seamlessly and Nesbit is Cheyna Williams 2.0.

North Carolina is going to be stacked as usual but are going to sorely miss Bailey and Ashley. i don't see any of their incoming recruits replacing them but Anson has an amazing ability to adapt his formation to play to his teams strengths.

7. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    From your mouth to gods ear when it comes to the quote about Cheyna 2.0.
    I’ll bow to your greater knowledge when it comes to the PAC 12. I just know that for us USC was much tougher than Stanford, but that is probably about tactics and style. As has been pointed out, the aggressive direct style gives FSU more problems, henceUNC is always a difficult out for us.

Least Coast Bias repped this.
  8. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    You guys constantly sleep on UVA. Find it very strange.

Val1 repped this.
  9. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    and btw...Nishwonger is a smallish play maker type. very similar to Zhao. not sure how you will get her, DC and Zhao in the foield together vs good teams.

10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    It’s called substitutions.

11. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I said on the field at the same time. ???

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    This is not politically correct, and in saying it, I don't desire to offend you, but UVA has a very poor post season Resume.
    2 ACC championships is not a lot to show for such a strong program.
    I'm aware of one Final 4 (runner up in 14).
    How many others were there?

It's hard to play beautiful soccer and beat the UNCs of the soccer world.
    High pressure direct play is difficult for possession teams.
    My point is, their post season resume' does not lead me to believe they are a legit CC team.

I like their style of play (duhh same as FSU), but they need to produce to be in the conversation.

13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Im not in the slightest bit offended. Very poor post season resume? Hmm. Ok. so does Stanford have a good one? Not making the L 32 2 years ago ? is it only winning one that makes the resume better? Im just asking because I dont see what say UNC winning in 2012 has to do with their chances in 2019. Produce what ? A title? Go look at WIkipedia if you want that info, but it seems to me that you mention UCLA. One win in 2013 and one CC appearance in 2017. IS that a strong resume ? Your metrics suggest that UNC and FSU are the only contenders. Also they suggest that UCLA, Stanford , USC are not possession teams.

14. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Just 2 seasons ago we had 3 keepers.....Casie Miller- Caroline Jeffers- Brooke Bollinger. 2017-2018. BB was being red shirted to train under CM. CJ was brought in to play if CM was injured.
    It is very unusual to have only 2 but it has worked for FSU.

15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    What would you suggest for Consideration for upcoming college cup?
    For me it is a couple of things. 1. roster capable of challenging for a college cup appearance. 2. Recent History of making college cup. 3. College Cup win is a bonus.

Share with me what you would consider when looking at the top five or six programs that you anticipate challenging for the college cup this coming year.

16. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My memory is in decline :eek:

17. Least Coast Bias

LAFC
    Uzbekistan
    Dec 11, 2018
    I would say FSU and UCLA with 10 College Cups a piece and Stanford with 9 CCs are contenders when you look at the recent performances. USC is not a possession team.

18. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I’m so FSU centric I’m Not sure which teams are possession versus aggressively direct.
    I believe FSU, UCLA, Stanford Penn State and Virginia are possession teams.

North Carolina and USC are aggressively direct teams.
    Feel free to correct me or add to the list.

I know that for FSU aggressively direct teams are the hardest to play. For USC and North Carolina, which style of team is the hardest to play?

Least Coast Bias repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    A roster and a coaching staff capable of making it. I only look at players and teams. History means little to me unless its part of experience for current players.

Lagadema repped this.
  20. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Granted, I've only seen film of Nesbeth, but her play style and skill set doesn't remind me of Cheyna at all. I'd say more Villalobos (to pick an FSU player) than Cheyna.

Number007 repped this.
  21. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Hoping that you are wrong :)
    I’ve been really wanting FSU to get another pace forward with excellent ball skills and one versus one skills like Cheyna.
    Another Gloriana is not bad, but we really need that pace forward, Or a forward who is supremely gifted in tight areas 1V1

22. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, although a slightly faster Villalobos, but not the speed of Cheyna.

23. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008

Some video of Nesbeth. I'd say a mixture of Gloriana and Cheyna. Not quite as fast as Cheyna, but ball skills similar to Gloriana.
    Think her shot making is better than Gloriana.
    I do believe she can play up top for FSU>
    Take a look and make your own judgment.
    Good with both feet. Strong kick out to 30 yards or so..Nice passes.
    She and Deyna might could connect real well in the final 1/3.

VictoryCB repped this.
  24. USFSU

USFSU Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Was able to see some play for Taylor from two of their most recent games.

She plays as a holding mid for about as stacked as you'll see a public hs team (commits to FSU (her), UF, Troy and Houston that I know of). They currently have a record of 9-0-1. She isn't asked to do too much, has good size, strength, balance and feet. A decent length throw, not quite Campbell, but know how you liked that Tom. Controls the tempo of the game and plays her teammates into space. Unfortunately didn't see too much of her speed outside of one attack she took up the side, got around a defender to the touchline and centered the ball in, that somehow ended up in the back of the net. Hard to judge speed until you see it against multiple players/teams, but also wasn't called for in many cases. They won the game 8-0.

She plays for the Florida Elite soccer club, one of the better clubs in NE Florida. Most of their players are split between Radecki's school and nearby Creekside. Was given the wrong number for her in the first game, Creekside, so can't comment directly on her play in that one, unfortunately. But it was a physical game against two talented, and relatively even and familiar squads, though Bartram Trail eventually won handily, 4-0.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  25. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks for the first hand info.
    Hey, if someone can adequately replace Carle at FB (assuming Madril replaces Kuikka), that'll free her up to Kaycie's spot.
    Maybe Patten, maybe a newbie like Taylor. We'll see!
    Again, thanks for the info.
    It is sometimes hard to translate what you see on the pitch in HS or club soccer forward.
    I saw Lecanto girls beat Land O Lakes with Sidney Nasello (USF freshman) last year. Nasello was small, but tough, skilled and fast. Obviously the best player on the field (Lecanto won;-)), but I had no clue how to project her. Turns out she started for and played a key role at USF.
    That is a long winded way of saying I'm no judge of talent. I think you get a better idea when you see youth world cups. Deyna, Gloriana and Yujie were all impressive in those.

Crazyhorse repped this.